Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please what does this mean in English  (Read 6923 times)

Offline uporondrocks

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please what does this mean in English
« on: December 05, 2009, 12:49:54 AM »
Hi, I'm new and need advice any help would be greatly appreciated. I've had this injury almost 4 months. Results last Tuesday. Feel like i'm going to be crippled waiting on treatment. Please in English what does it mean? Could I lose my leg? I'm scared.

There is a deficient anterior medial femoral condyle  and a shallow trochlear groove. The patella is laterally  tilted  and subluxed by approx. 4 mm. The proximal patellar tendon is mildly increased in signal. A note is made of prepatellar edema. There is mild surface irregularity of the patellar cartilage without evidence of a full thickness defect. The trochlear cartilage has a normal appearance. In the medial compartment, there is normal appearing hyaline cartilage. Degenerative signal is present within the medial meniscus body and posterior horn, however, there is no evidence of a discrete tear. Note is made of a small multiobulated Baker's cyst. There is no joint effusion. In the lateral compartment, there is no evidence of a hyaline cartilage abnormality. There is maceration of the lateral meniscus anterior horn without a definite discrete tear. The remainder of the lateral meniscus has a normal appearance. The cruciate and collateral ligaments are intact.

1.   Lateral patellar tilt and sublex with mild patellar chondromalacia. There ia a shallow trochlear groove.

2.   prepattellar edema

3.   mild patellar tendinosis

4.   lateral meniscus anterior horn maceration without definite discrete tear

5.   lobulated small baker's cyst

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
Re: Please what does this mean in English
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:48:53 PM »
In plain English... you have what hundreds of others of us on these forums have and we have lived with it for years, so you can take a deep breath and relax. 

The trochlear groove is at the bottom of your femur, and it's what the kneecap glides in every time you bend your knee, so since your groove is shallow, it means that your kneecap doesn't track as well as it should, and will have an easier time dislocating possibly.  Because the kneecap doesn't track properly, the cartilage on the back of the kneecap is susceptible to wearing out because it rubs on the edge of the groove. So, some of your cartilage has worn off, but it's not down to the bone.  Edema generally means swelling, which would be expected when your knee is angry :)  There could be meniscal (cartilage) tears or fraying (you have two, one on each side of your knee).  Lots of people have this... lots and lots.  It could be from an actual injury, or just from general wear and tear from daily life.  The Baker's cyst is toward the back of your knee.  Basically, lots and lots of people have these as well, it usually happens when there is inflammation and/or swelling in the knee.  I've had one for years and have never been bothered by it. 

Try to find the course here at KneeGeeks about knee anatomy, and take the time to go through it to learn how everything is tied together in your knee.  It will be much better for you to know the anatomy of your knee when you go back in to review the mri results with your doctor. 

I've had the majority of things that your MRI showed for years, have had scopes on both knees to clean up worn cartilage and clean up the meniscal tears, and though at some point in time I will need more surgery to correct my kneecap tracking badly, I do just about anything I want to do on a daily basis, including hiking, walking, gardening, doing stuff with my kids, etc. 

If you do elect to have surgery to clean up the cartilage and for the meniscal tears, it will most likely be arthroscopic, with just two or three tiny holes and a fairly quick surgery and recovery if all goes well.  Talk to your doctor to see what your options are, but it's NOT the end of your leg :)
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

support