Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OsteoChrondritis  (Read 1150 times)

Offline tootsiewoots

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OsteoChrondritis
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »
Hi,

I have recently had screw fixation treatment for a 3cm lesion in my left knee. It has been 5 weeks since the operation. I was was NWB for the first 3 weeks and then PWB for the following 3 weeks. I have just been for my follow up appointment and had an x-ray done. I asked the surgeon if any signs of healing were visible. He said that he was unable to tell from the x-ray and would see me in 2 months? Surely if any signs of healing were visiable he would be able to see this?? He also mentioned that I may not be able to jog again (I don't jog anyway!) but only walk. The main issue is that my job does required me jogging at times ie: CHASING PEOPLE! I am only 27! Surely something else could be done if this does not work? He has suggested removing the lesion entirley? What are the likely effects of complete removal? Apparently I am definately getting athritis! The guy does not full me with much optmisium! I am still optmistic though whatever he says! Has anyone else ever had this procedure and give me some advice?

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
Re: OsteoChrondritis
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »
I have the same condition except that the surgeon did remove the lesion and performed a microfracture surgery to promote the growth of some new cartilidge to fill in the "crater" where the lesion was. I also will probably never run or jog again, running and jogging will wear ou the cartilidge patch in my knee much faster and then I will need more surgery, and I'm only 17.

-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline tootsiewoots

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »
Derek,

Your chances of healing are far greater. I would not get too down about the situation (At least we have legs!!). Why did they decide to remove the full lesion? I have heard that this is not the best option and that it should be avoided at all costs? Does anyone know how long a lesion will take to heal if it is going too? Would the Doctor have been able to telll from the x-ray. MMy knee actually feels ok! I have just done 40 mintutes of cycling and a few other exercises and no complaints. Slight pain but nothing major.

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:43:33 PM »
The lesion was removed because it had broken completely free from my femur. The doctor said when he got in my knee the piece of bone & cartilage was floating around my knee and that there was no way for him to screw it back into place. The original plan was to screw it back into place because the MRI showed it still in place prior to the surgery, my surgeon said that since it ended up breaking loose that there was no way for it to heal over if he screwed it back into place. He told me that the lesion would have broken loose as soon as I started walking again and then I would have a bone piece and some screws floating around my knee. Removing the lesion was the only choice in my case.
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
It's only been 7-8 weeks...it will take some time before it heals. Some docs will tell you up to a year. Patience, grasshopper.

FWIW, I had my first OCD lesion when I was a kid--they did nothing to fix it (aside from remove the chunk), hoping it would rectify itself as I was (in theory) still growing. It did not, and I had a microfracture 14 years later (when I was 26). During those intervening years, I ran just fine. I also ran fine for quite a while after my MF failed.

I would say maybe have the lesion removed and see if they can do a cartiliage transplant or MF...
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline tootsiewoots

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 11:11:43 AM »
Thanks for that. It makes me feel alot better. I will see what they say after my next scan in February and keep you updated..

support