Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 20 year old, repeated knee problems, please advise! Thank you  (Read 1416 times)

Offline tallaghtac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
20 year old, repeated knee problems, please advise! Thank you
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »
I am a 20yr old distance runner on scholarship in the USA. the medical treatment by my college is subpar and if anything they make me regularly compete injured. I have had a sports hernia operation-success. I also have had two medial meniscal repairs, chondromalcia, thickened snyovial plica and a bakers cyst addressed surgically in the past two years.

On oct 8th in a cross country race over 8km, very hilly, i twisted and my knee began to really hurt, my coach being crazy, i grinded out the whole race in pain and finished. I was in significantly more pain running uphill- barely bearable. Following this, they made me train a few times before finally caving after me arguing i believed i had damaged the meniscus again and sent me to a doctor. The guy looked at my leg for 2mins and said he thinks may be mcl sprain.Even though pain was over mcl joint line and not over my mcl. He said 2 weeks and i would be fine. He took an x-ray but no MRI. It has been 8 weeks and i am worse then ever. I can barely run and my college randomly throw me out in random races and workouts with no training and a hurt knee.

On tuesday, we started indoor track workouts, the bends can only be described as 'excruciating' i stopped after 5 out of 6 reps as i physically could not damage myself anymore. I was bed ridden that whole day and have not got a nights sleep since.
Symptoms: Very sharp pain below knee cap sort of (medial/anterior), Increased with stairs, turns. Some popping/clicking. Pain is constantly there. pain is present over 2 months.

Diagnosis??? Thank you in advance!

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
Re: 20 year old, repeated knee problems, please advise! Thank you
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:07:57 AM »
First thing....stop running!! What is more important to you, your race times or the knee you have to live with the rest of your life? Your coach doesn't have the right to make you keep running and you need to speak up and tell him that it hurts too much to compete. Your coach must be a complete idiot if he continues to want you to run, you need to say NO, don't let him run your life, its your life to run.

Second...go back and see an orthopedic surgeon, if he told you 2 weeks and it still hurts after 2 weeks, you should have gone back to see him again. Request that they take an MRI, if you have popping and clicking it sounds as though you have more going on than a strained MCL. Popping and clicking are usually signs of some sort of cartilage damage, whether it be articular cartilage or a meniscus injury. In your case it is probable that it is meniscus damage since you have a history of meniscus damage. However, if you did sprain your MCL there is always a possibility that you damaged some articular cartilage. With ligament injuries, articular cartilage damage is sometimes a side effect because if to put strain is put on the ligament where it connects to the bone it can cause some articular cartilage damage.

As you can see, there are a few things that this could be and nobody can say for sure until you have an MRI taken off your knee and you get an opinion from an orthopedic surgeon. Until you have this done, you need to stop running, its only hurting your knee further. Put some ice on your knee and maybe some compression and see if that helps your pain in the meantime. Keep it elevated at night when you sleep, this may also help with the pain and maybe allow you to sleep better at night. Getting a good nights sleep is important when it comes to healing, your body needs to rest.
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline tallaghtac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »
Thanks for the great advice. I do believe it is meniscus related as I have a history of that and it all feels way too similar for me to be comfortable. I am working on convincing them to send me to the OS. I believe its impossible for this to still be a strained MCL or patellar tendonitis.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:04:51 PM by tallaghtac »

Offline tootsiewoots

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:48:49 PM »
Derek,

When you become a famous knee surgeon don't forget aabout me! ;) You really are clued up about things!

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 08:47:31 PM »
You know, I am actually going to be majoring in biomedical engineering and pre-medicine when I go to college next year. I either want to just stick with the biomedical engineering aspect which would be designing the equipment used by surgeons or I will go off to med school to become an orthopedic surgeon, we'll see in a few years which path I choose to take. Ever since my knee injury and surgery, I am just fascinated by knee surgeries and the types of technologies and methods we have available to repair knees.
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline tallaghtac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:04:11 PM »
Thank you very much for the input. To update, i seen the ortho last night and he prodded around, did not really conduct any tests or anything but suggested something about a possible cartilage lesion, chondral injury of some description and something about my tibia. He did not expand  or explain? what would he be talking about?

I have an mri today- so that should really help!

Thanks again