Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: will synvisc injections show up in x-rays???  (Read 1320 times)

Offline jack007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
will synvisc injections show up in x-rays???
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »
Hi
I'am 30yrs old and damagd my knee 6years ago after abad fall.I have been having problems since.The orteopedic doctor started me on synvisc in the knee last year and i am on my second course,"they help abit!".
A radioligist from my insurance wants to get new x-rays done and compare them with the x-rays i got the day of the accident.
My last course of injections finished 9weeks ago,but will they show up in the xray and "fill the gap" were my cartalige is wearing away??????
The injection was under my knee-cap.I had mri scan done,but they said it was ok,it just showed the cyst i have from the time of the fall.
Does the x_ray up grade 1/grade 2.
Something  must of showed up for me to get the injections?????
Thanks for your help....

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: will synvisc injections show up in x-rays???
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »
Hyalgan injections are what's called "viscosupplentation" injections, all they do is add viscosity, lubricity and replacement fluid into the joint with a compound that is designed to help alleviate minor arthritic symptoms. This product doesn't help with severe osteoarthritis, it can't reverse major damage that's already been done, but for someone with mild symptoms, the literature to me says that the person could see an improvement in symptoms with time. I've heard that the product doesn't work for everyone.

So, your answer is no, you would not see the injected substance on an xray, you would only see a lack of worsening of the existing problem, in sequential xrays over time, in my lay person's analysis of what synvisc is designed to do, for someone who feels the product helps them.

I hope this answers the question.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support