Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 8mths post surgery. Feel on top of the world  (Read 5600 times)

Offline sloth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
8mths post surgery. Feel on top of the world
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »
Hi guys,

I never post much on here, but since my injury and surgery I have been on this site everyday getting tips and advice. In october 2008 I dislocated my knee and ruptured my acl pcl and medial ligaments. A a result I had hamstring grafts to repair all three. The operation took place in November and to be honest I have never looked back.

After being told by one surgeon I would probably never return to work as a police officer I was very lucky to see one of the top consultants in London, Mr Williams.

Except for a few small procedures after the operation my leg has gone from strength to strength. I can play football with my small boys and do all the rough and tumble a dad should be able to do. I ran a mile yesterday off road and had no pain at all. I can swim, cycle and do everything I used to be able to do.
Ok, my leg will never be as good as it was and I will never do any "proper" running or play contact sports,  but I will return to work and still be fitter than half the guys I work with!!

When I was laid up in a metal brace attached via pins in my thigh and shin bones, I read something on here from someone who had gone through the same kind of injury/surgery as I had. This really kept me going through all the months of pain,boredom and intense physio and let me know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Its great to hear everyones success storys, good luck and good health to everyone on here.....

Offline nathansknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 8mths post surgery. Feel on top of the world
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:11:52 PM »
which hospital does MR Willams work at? looking for a LDN hosp to get referred to on NHS..Nath
Nathan

Trying to be positive over my knee...

Offline dillman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 8mths post surgery. Feel on top of the world
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:06:21 AM »
i wanted to share my story as well.  I had my achilles tendon released 2 weeks ago.  3 slices in the achilles and they lock my foot at 90 degrees so i can walk with a proper gait.  prior to the surgery i was walking on my toes (right foot only) because my Achilles was tight after server trauma to my right leg (car accident).

i had my ankle scoped as well and my peroneal nerve decompressed (i had some scar tissue pinching the nerve, they free'd it up).  I am in a cast for 3 more weeks (5 weeks total) and my doc said he was able to get my foot at 90 degrees so i should be able to lose the limp i had prior to this procedure!

fingers crossed that this works.  i was hit by a drunk driver and broke my pelvis, femur, tibia plataeu, fibula, two collapsed lungs, and lost my spleen.  i am told i will make a full recovery - feel like i am almost there 8 months post accident.

good luck everyone!  you gotta want it!

support