Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Painkilling Gel's for Kneepain  (Read 3543 times)

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Painkilling Gel's for Kneepain
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »
I am already prescribed Ibugel Forte (10%) & also Dihydrocodeine but find that the gel doesnt really help with the pain in my knee now.

Can anyone recommend anything else that might help, I cant take anything Ibuprofen based orally as it doesnt react well with my stomach, (diclofenac, neurofen etc) make me sick, but the gel is ok.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:12:14 PM by ipswich1984 »
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Painkilling Gel's for Kneepain
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »
There are several other things you can try that are directly applied to the knee. I've had some success with Lidocaine transdermal patches applied to the knee joint, and some effect from Voltaren gel (diclofenac) applied topically, so long as I'm not physically active. For me, the Voltaren doesn't do as much if I'm stressing my knee due to level of damage, but if I'm just going to bed, it'll help with keeping knee pain from waking me up in the night. You could also try Flector transdermal patches which are just as patch version of the Voltaren gel. The gel is cheaper.

I've also found that a Tens unit alone or in conjunction with ice is also helpful for pain management. A physiotherapist can teach you how to use one if you can get one prescribed, as they require a prescription to obtain in the US. If you have the rx, your insurance may even pay for it as durable medical equipment.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
I will see my GP again and ask about the patches, I saw a doctor yesterday and they have given me some naproxen tablets to take which so far havent made me anywhere near as ill as things such as Diclofenac.

I havent really thought about a Tens machine, not sure if you can get them on prescription in the UK but will find out.

I have made an appointment to see the OS again as I heard a pop and have more pain but this is from inside my knee and I have trouble bending it at the moment in addition to my kneecap problems now.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »
You can buy TENS machines in the UK from Boots and or Lloyds chemists - your GP might have a few lying around as they sometimes get dished out to pregnant women in long labour.
You can also rent TENs machines from TENS themselves - www.tens-hire.co.uk (first link in google and i have nothing to do with this company btw)

Hope it helps.
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »
Thanks for that, I may have to invest in one as I know for definite that the surgery will be in the new year and the earliest I can see the OS over my new problem is December 21st.

December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »
what does TENS stand for and can it help with swelling or is it just for pain?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »
TENS = Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation

Essentially it gets your body to release more endorphins, which are the bodys own pain relief mechanism. I'm sure theres a better technical explanation. ::)

As for can it be used on swelling, don't think it would work, but i could be wrong.

http://www.babycaretens.com/
have a look here for some information
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »
One of my sisters provided me with a gel thats main extracts are herbal so are natural and ment to provide pain releaf, she knows people that swear by it who found its helped them with their stiff joints. Its called Aloe MSM Gel thats expensive to buy at nearly 16 for a 118 ml tube but been told its ment to be very good.

Not used it much and not really helping with the pain but its very soothing and helps a bit.

http://www.aloehealthuk.com/store/product_details.aspx?product=205

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Lou123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »
Two people I know use 'Pernation gel' and think it's fab. It uses green lipped mussel extracts, they say it's good for connective tissue and joint care.

I myself haven't tried it as i'm allergic to just about everything, but i've read that it's quite effective for pain, and good for inflammation.

Offline Redwing

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »
I will see my GP again and ask about the patches, I saw a doctor yesterday and they have given me some naproxen tablets to take which so far havent made me anywhere near as ill as things such as Diclofenac.

I havent really thought about a Tens machine, not sure if you can get them on prescription in the UK but will find out.

I have made an appointment to see the OS again as I heard a pop and have more pain but this is from inside my knee and I have trouble bending it at the moment in addition to my kneecap problems now.

'Gluc Osamine' by Help Perception did help me. It's a topical gel and it helped when I got knee pain that woke me up; it eased the pain and I was able to get back to sleep. You can get it from Boots. I seem to recall it was about 8 for a large tube. It's the only topical cream/gel that I have found works.

I have a tens machine but it doesn't really help much; feels quite nice but it doesn't do much for the pain I have on walking and standing.

Everyone beware of Neproxin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It caused me a stomach ulcer which was worse than the knee pain!! I was ill for a year!
2001: first referral to OS for osteoarthritis in knees after about 5 years of OA pain.  Told I was too young for knee replacement.
July 2009 Bilateral arthroscopy
Jan 2010 TKR-right knee

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:57:03 PM »
I will look into that cream, sounds good.

I am trying not to take the tablets too much anyway (my gp advised me to take them just twice a day if required) but I will speak to my doctor regarding the risks of long term use as I know I most likely will not get my surgery until at least February.

The thing with tablets these days is that most come with their risks and at the moment painkillers are all that keep me functioning just about.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline still_active

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • No more blowouts please!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
what does TENS stand for and can it help with swelling or is it just for pain?

The TENS unit is for both swelling and pain management.  My unit came with instructions--the electrode placement (red/black) is different for each.
June 1995 - L. knee buckled (martial arts)
July 2006 - L. knee buckled (throwing a ball)
August 2009 - L. knee buckled playing laser tag - complete ACL rupture, medial & lateral meniscus torn
September 23, 2009 - surgery:  ACL reconstruction (allograft) / meniscus repair

support