Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post Op Queries  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Dantheman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post Op Queries
« on: November 26, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »
Morning.

My name is Dan and I am 27 Years Old.  I ruptured my ACL on the 30th June 2008 playing football in a pre season friendly (Liversedge FC).
I had to wait almost a year and finally had my Left ACL reconstructed on June 10th 2009 (Dr Steve Bollen @ Yorkshire Clinic).

I had intense physio for approx 2 months after the op but havent been since the start of October.  I started Football Training about 3 weeks ago (just running) as i have put a ridiculous amount of weight on in just over 12 months (3st).  I havent done any weight training on my left leg as yet? 

I honestly dont know what to do now.  I am feeling slightly down with regards not being able to play football yet and am desperate to get back in Jan/Feb 2010. 

Does anyone have any suggetions as to what i need to do to progress by strengthening and being able to play again at the decent level i was at?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Post Op Queries
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »
Hi There,

It always worth paying to see a Physio privately and prices range from £25 to £50 per appointment and would try and find a Sports Physio as they are better at giving advise to getting back to playing football again. Does your footblal club have a Physio as she/he can give you some advise and should not have to play if you are playing for the team. I have booked to see a Sports Physio next week as I need some advise on what I can do at the gym and would like to return back to jogging again that I am unable to do for over 2 years and hope to run again in the spring now I have had my surgery.

Its important to do physio everyday and if you have a local gym go there, also swimming is very good for the knee with minimum impact on the knee. Would ask your Physio 1st what you should do at the gym before doing your own workout as I will be doing when I see mine next week.

Nick  :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Dantheman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
Cheers Nick,

I suppose its more my lax attitude to getting back to the gym after having over 18 months out from any intense exercise. 

I have all my sheets from my Physio that my Surgeon referred me too and the Physio at the Football Club is newly qualified (2 Years) so feel that i would be getting mixed advice.

Thanks for the response.  Glad i posted.

Regards

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »
Thats ok you may well already have done these PT excercises that your Physio should have given you and may not have done one of the excercises on the list.

a, Ankles – pull foot up towards you, and then point it away.
b, Pull your toes towards you, push your knee down and tighten your thigh muscles.
c, Place wedge (or rolled up towel) under your knee.  Lift your heel and straighten your knee. Hold for five seconds.
d, Straighten your knee and lift your leg of the bed. Hold for five seconds and slowly lower.
e, Bend knee up and down on the bed. ( tip is to place a plastic bag under foot so it glides better)
f, Gently bend and straighten your knee whilst sitting.

Nick :) {2009} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline miss_sporty

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »
hi,
not sure what you mean, do you want advice on strengthening exercises for the leg? if so its important to get your quads and hamstrings strong again as they are easily weakened by not using them after surgery. squats are really good for quad strength which is really important in controlling the knee and keeping it stable.

there is a post on this website about exercises to do post ACLr which you can find here: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29810.0
which might be of use to you as it has loads of really good exercises that you can do.

hope this is helpful! :)
Torn ACL
Hamstring graft reconstruction
Patellar tendon graft reconstruction

support