Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I'm so confused  (Read 774 times)

Offline mickiegrantz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'm so confused
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:57:59 AM »
I slipped on hair at the salon I worked at 5 months ago.  I dislocated the knee "violently" causing a crack in my patella and apparently the part of my femur it struck.  I've been dealing with work comp and have been the go between them and my doctor and my physical therapist which has not only been a headache but also a huge time consumer.  It took 3 weeks before my MRI to even find out that I had cracked my knee.  I was sent back to work part-time.  Mind you, my job is standing and cutting hair.  I hyper-extended my knee on several occasions at work.  After a month (4 months after injury) my PT suggested that I get another MRI to find out why I wasn't getting any better.  Again I spent a week between everyone before I got my MRI.  When I was given the results my doctor said I was healing.  When Work Comp talked to me they said they would like an orthopedic doctor to evaluate me because I had a bone shard.  I spoke to my PT, the only one I usually see face to face out of the lot to explain this to me. 

He told me he couldn't tell me exactly what is wrong because the only people who see the actual pics are the MRI staff.  He showed me the report he got from them and the first MRI report.  The shard was not in the first report but in the second.  This blew me away.  I was confused as to why my doctor did not suggest the ortho dr.  and also what on earth a bone shard is.  My PT explained the best he could but I still am not sure.  I have been trying to find out about bone shards but only references on books of the sci-fi kind pop up on the net.  This is a bit scary.  I have been waiting for over a week again to be placed with an ortho dr. 

My father has a bone shard but it is a wedge shape and floats around on the outside of his knee.  The report says mine is 5mm.  It doesn't say where the bone shard is, but when I bend alot my knee hurts ALOT.  The waiting is killing me, I've been waiting 5 months and now I'm waiting while doing the very strenuous job of a hairstylist.  I would really like answers.  Any advice?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: I'm so confused
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »
What kind of doctor have you been seeing? I'm confused as to why they didn't send you to an orthopedic surgeon first. They are the experts. Go see one using your own insurance instead of dealing with Workman's Comp. Your PT is not qualified to read your MRI. They get read by a radiologist and usually an orthopedic surgeon. Go to the place that did the MRI, get your films and radiologist report and take them to an orthopedic surgeon.

Offline still_active

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • No more blowouts please!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »
The problem is that her regular insurance probably won't pay, since she fell at work.  They always have you fill out the paperwork which asks if the fall occurred at work.  I agree that you need to see an orthopedic surgeon.  Sounds like a real hassle--sorry you have to go through all this...  :(
June 1995 - L. knee buckled (martial arts)
July 2006 - L. knee buckled (throwing a ball)
August 2009 - L. knee buckled playing laser tag - complete ACL rupture, medial & lateral meniscus torn
September 23, 2009 - surgery:  ACL reconstruction (allograft) / meniscus repair

Offline mickiegrantz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:50:11 PM »
I do not have insurance of my own... one of the downsides of being a hairstylist I'm afraid and even if I did I would assume Microgeek is right about them not paying for it as it is work comp.  I too am confused as to why I have spent 5 months 'waiting and seeing' with a general practitioner doctor as opposed to seeing an orthopaedic doctor.  I really wish this could all be taken care of but with the long holiday weekend I am waiting even longer than they already make me wait.  I am afraid that having been sent back to the salon even part time, doing all of the standing and working you do as a stylist, I am damaging my knee further.  Sadly I can not simply stop working with out the doctor saying that I need to.  Work comp won't have that.  I hope I get a call soon...

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »
I don't ever deal with workman's comp. The couple times I got hurt at work I just didn't tell my employer and went to my own doctor. Works much better that way.

support