Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Release  (Read 8938 times)

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
Re: Lateral Release
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2002, 10:05:39 PM »
Iona---what is a haemar...whatever you mentioned in your post that you developed?  I've never heard of it.  Is it noticeable?

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2002, 11:01:47 PM »
Hi Kris
A haemarthorsis is a complication with arises most commonly from surgery to the knee though can also develop after a knee injury or other trauma to the knee.

It's basically a bleed into the joint, mine came from not cauterising the ends of the LR. It is incredibly painful and most commonlymis diagnosed after surgery as an infection, which mine was.

I think the menas of detection are through aspiration or another arthroscopy and I had both. An arthroscopic washout is performed to get rid of the bluid up of blood and fluids.

Hope that helps.
Iona

Offline Danielle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2002, 03:17:05 AM »
I had my LR with my Trillat TTT on June 26th. This was my first surgery and my recovery is going GREAT!! Hope everyone is doing good and I'm so glad to see a lot of people from the old forum!!

~*~Danielle~*~
I had a modified Trillat TTT and LR done on 6/26/02
Original injury in October of 1998 due to a horseback riding accident

Offline Jak

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2002, 08:19:00 PM »
This may seem a daft question - but curiosity has got the best of me.  How comes some people have had more than one lateral release?  Surely once it's cut, burnt the ends, then it's cut.  I've recently had a lateral release and although I'm happy with the result (at the moment)  I didn't realise it might need to be done again.  How do you avoid this?  Is it possible? ??? :o
June 2002 medial plica and supra-patela plica removal, chondroplasty on both knees and lateral release on right knee.

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2002, 08:51:34 PM »
Hi Jak.

It's my understanding that the lateral ligment or tendon or whatever they are cutting is just release not totally cut.  I had an achilles tendon release done and all that is done and it depends on the OS way of doing things is to just cut holes into the tendon which would be filled with scar tissue.  If it doesn't work the first time, they do it again, releasing it just a little more.  The tendon (whatever) isn't severed all the way.  If it was then the patella would move or maltrack to the inside because nothing would be counteracting the pull from the VMO muscle.

As far as avoiding it, the exercises are probably the most important thing to keep it on track.  It's something that I feel I might have to do the rest of my life to keep it from having another surgery.  Sometimes, however, it's not avoidable.  It just didn't work.  That means that other methods may be needed or back to having another LR.  I'm worried that my right leg will have to go through something again.
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2002, 10:45:01 PM »
I had a second LR on my R knne because scar tissue had damaged the original.

Laterla release is performed most commonly where there is mal tracking, if after a LR there is scar tissue which superceeds the LR, your kneecap can mal track again.

It's also not as simple as cutting two ends and burning them, LR's are a release of the capsule aroung the joint and this too can cause problems. I went to see a dr at the A&E who said not releasing enough or too much can cause problems too, but not sure exactly what he meanr by that!.

HTH

Iona

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2002, 07:27:34 AM »
Questions:  How many lateral release can be done before the decision to do something else can be made?  I've only had one lateral release on the right leg, but at this point with all the pain that has come and multiple other problems, I'm thinking that the surgery wasn't as successful as I first thought.  Also, Kneeguru made a list of surgeons, but known are in my area.  How do I go about finding reputable surgeons within a 30 mile radius of my home?
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

support