Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Release  (Read 8941 times)

Iona_-Uk

Lateral Release
« on: July 14, 2002, 09:52:43 PM »
I am shortly going to be putting together a fact sheet type article which I hope might benefit some of you.

If anyone would like to share their experiences of LR's good or bad, please do not not hesitate to contact me.

Iona (UK) ::)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 115
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Lateral Release
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 10:01:06 PM »
Well, even the KNEEguru once had a lateral release! :'(
But in conjunction with an abrasion arthroplasty (scraping the arthritic bits under the kneecap) and a removal of plica.
I was astonished at how stiff my knee was post-op, and particularly how hard it was to get in and out of the bath. The crunchy noises went away almost immediately post-op but my knee took another 12 months to get pretty much back to "normal".
--
KNEEguru

Offline Jak

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2002, 10:22:17 PM »
I'm four weeks post Lateral Release with plica's (?) removed and chondroplasty and have to say I'm very happy I had it done.  I know it's early days but I can now sleep at night without a permanent cramp in the back of my leg.  It took a while to decide to have it done but wished I'd done it sooner.   :)  Trying to run again , however is a whole new ball game!!
June 2002 medial plica and supra-patela plica removal, chondroplasty on both knees and lateral release on right knee.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 115
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2002, 10:32:01 PM »
A lateral release can be done arthroscopically (through the 'keyhole') or 'open' and I think that there is quite a big difference in rehab and eventual patellar-re-alignment.  As you had a plica removed at the same time, presumeably your lateral release was done arthroscopically? One of the big differences is that internal bleeders can be seen through the arthroscope once the tourniquet is down, while they cannot in the open procedure - so there is a greater chance of having an internal bleed (haemarthrosis) with the latter.
--
KNEEguru

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2002, 10:43:06 PM »
 ::)
I had my first LR's done arthroscopicly through 2 holes and although the r knee was fine and manged to get back to normality about 3 weeks after surgery. I had the left knee done which resulted in haemarthorsis which was left untreated for 10 (yes 10) days because they surgeons were not aware of the complications following this surgery (I was the first patient at my hospital to have LR's I had both done b4 they started doing them regularly).

This time (6 days ago) I had 3 huuuuuggge cuts in my knee (about 1 inch each) and plica removed as well. My surgeon cauterised the area thus very little bleeding (I've got the video!) and very very little pain.

I have not got my full ROM or strength back yet, it's the stitches holding me back!.

I was impressed with my surgeon who took over an hour to explain the pro's and cons' the rehab the proceedure etc and thought back to having my last 2 where no one told me anything.

I feel my recovery had been helped by knowing what to expect rather than worrying all the time.

Iona

Offline Lori

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Super Lori :-p
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2002, 02:39:38 AM »
Hi Iona!
I had my LR just about a year ago. That was my second surgery...but now I am recovering from a TTT so obviously it didnt work.  :'( If there are any specifics you would like to know about my failed LR feel free to e-mail me!!! I'm so glad yours turned out good!!! ;D
Best Wishes,
Lori
12/00 Plica Excision(L)
7/01 LR(L)
5/02 Distal Realignment with Oblique Osteotomy(L)
9/02 Cortisone Injection(L)
12/02 Garbage Removal (Shredded Tissue,etc) B/c My Kneecap Was Not Even Visible(L)

Offline Lori

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Super Lori :-p
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2002, 02:46:48 AM »
Hi Iona!
I am about a year post op from an LR which was my second surgery. But I am now recovering from a TTT so obviously it didn't work!  :'( If you have any specific questions about my failed LR I would be glad to help you out. I'm so glad that yours worked out well!!  ;D
Best Wishes,
Lori
12/00 Plica Excision(L)
7/01 LR(L)
5/02 Distal Realignment with Oblique Osteotomy(L)
9/02 Cortisone Injection(L)
12/02 Garbage Removal (Shredded Tissue,etc) B/c My Kneecap Was Not Even Visible(L)

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2002, 04:08:41 AM »
I'm getting frustrated and tired of all the pain.  I've mentioned it before, but I guess I had a rough day today and needed a place to vent and ask for help.  I have many problems it seems, some just might be in my head.  I'm a really shy person when it comes to talking with people, especially doctors.  I have so many questions, but I can never get the questions out.  I've tried writing the questions down, but it doesn't seem to work because I'm too nervous to ask.  The thing is that I'm really worried about my right knee.  When my therapist even calls it a piece of junk, that doesn't make me feel all that confident that  the knee will be anywhere close to normal.  I had a lateral release in Feb on the right and the same thing on the left in May.  I was reassured by my OS that the right leg would hold up to the strain of baring my weight.  IT DID...for a day.  It started going rapidly downhill every since...more noticeably during therapy sessions.   I had hurt my calf muscle on that leg the day of surgery on the left leg and I'm not sure that had an impact on it or not.  It may just be a coincidence.  I also have major hyperextension problems with that leg.  She measured it like at 18 when 0 is full extension I think (I go 18 degrees further than full extension).  Anyway, the pain on the right leg is constant on the inside, bottom portion of the knee.  When I apply weight to it, such as the leg press machine, the whole knee flares up.  Stairs, mini-squats are done with intense pain that I feel I'd faint if done for more than what my therapist asks of me.   That's another thing, my therapist doesn't seem to watch me or follow me around.  I guess she feels that I know the routine so I go to her to tell her how much of each excerise I've done.  Her twin sister had me one time, and I found a lot of things that I've been doing wrong with each exercise.  It made me a little upset that I've been doing this for two months and I've been doing the exercises wrong.  Geepers.  As for the left leg, it's doing fantastic compared to the right.  The pain is very minimal and the only spot I'm worried about it a bulge on the outside of the knee that is tender.  I don't think it's swelling because it doesn't go up or down.  My therapist doesn't seem so concerned about it saying it's normal.  Well, it's not normal to me.  I've never had anything like this before.   I'm sorry this is so long, I just at my wit's end.  I've talked to the OS nurse a few times, but I haven't had much success in getting answers.  I guess it's because of the shyness that I leave whatever they say and don't ask questions.  I see the OS on the 25th.  I'm hoping I can still walk by then, it's getting harder and harder everyday.  Okay, I'm leaving now, sorry again, but if you have any advice please help or if you can relate, I really could use some help.  Thanks, Kris.
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2002, 08:03:08 PM »
Im sorry to read of all your troubles and frusterations Kris.  It certainly sounds like you have had a rough time.  I use to be very shy but after getting blown off time and time again resulting in me getting more and more angrier I've learned to better voice my Q's and thoughts in the DRs office.  Unfortunatly, that hasn't helped me much.  Being 17 my knee probs and pain aren't taken seriously.  And my Q's (such as "couldn't this be plica syndrome?") are always tap danced around, avoided, and left unanswered.  

In the last round of PT I had I felt like my condition wasn't being realistically viewed by my PT.  I was getting worse and worse and worse after 10 weeks of PT (3X a week) and she thought I should do 6 more months!!!  I could barely walk after some of those sessions and she'd tell me "don't limp".  I tried to explain that it was either limp, or don't walk at all!!  I had so much swelling in my knees that my PT didn't believe I was icing 3X a day.  It wasn't until I switched to her collegue (chiro/PT) for an appt later in the day after school that I got a sensible evaluation.  He asked how I felt I was progressing (more like regressing I told him) how my pain was, did his own little examination, and than told me that he felt PT hadn't helped me one bit, that infact it had made me worse, and that I have a mechanical problem that needs surgical attention immediately (try telling that to an OS!).  Perhaps you should change to your PT's sister and get her to look after you.  Or maybe a new PT place is in line.

I wish you all the best in getting your knees and life back Kris.  I sure can understand pain and how frusterating the medical system is.  If you want to vent feel free to email me if you want!  

Take care Kris!

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Jerseychic85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • hey all!
Post op ?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2002, 02:47:23 AM »
i am almost four weeks post op from a lateral release and plica removal but i also had my miniscus reshaped b/c it was shaped like a disc instead of a C but anywayz recently i have deveopled pain in the back of my knee and still have pain from surgery.  i was wondering if this was normal. my PT can't figure it out. anyone? ???
« Last Edit: July 17, 2002, 02:49:10 AM by Jerseychic85 »

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2002, 03:08:50 AM »
It could be pain from your meniscus surgery. I'm assuming you had a discoid menisicus?

Mind you since starting PT I've had pain behind my knee but have put it down to me exercising my VMO and my hamstrings all have which have been in hibernation for some time.

I would advise ice and gentle massage if you can tolerate it. You could give the painful area a massage with either heat or ice gel as well, which, if you like heat gels, is lovely. Another tip is if you have a shower- run a bath full of water and get the showerhead running and then place it under the water and under your knee- it tickles a bit but I fins it relaxing and effective, I do it over my LR site.

Iona :D

Offline snowcat

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2002, 10:02:16 AM »
Hi Iona--

You can search the KNEEguru archives if you want to track my whole story!  But the main thing I would emphasize about the LR is to be aware of possible complications!!  I would have to be in MAJOR pain to have another LR.  I had mine almost 1 year ago and am still in PT, still dealing with severe IT Band tendinosis and possibly patellar tendinitis/tendinosis as well--complications from the LR!

snowcat
5/00: partial lateral menisectomy (R)
7/01: LR, partial lateral menisectomy, cyst draining (R), followed by ongoing problems with illiotibial band syndrome & adhesions
6/04: Much better!

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2002, 08:05:01 PM »
You hit the nail right on the head there snowcat!

I for one was never warned of complications that might follow my LR and I ended up with a haemarthorsis which went undiagnosed for 10 days because none of the surgeons knew how to diagnose a haem.

If I'd have known at lest I could have turned to the dr's and said "look I think this is a haem what is your opinion"

Lack of info is so abundant in surgery.

Iona

Offline Jerseychic85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • hey all!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2002, 09:18:51 PM »
thanx for the reply but will the pain eventually go away? :)

Stacey

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2002, 09:33:17 PM »
Hmmm Advice on LR's.  First off get a second opinion and do your research!  Find other people and how they felt it helped or hindered their knee  health.   Find out all the consequences.  Try everything else before hadn (PT, anti-inflammatories, braces etc).  I am one of the few who the LR affected so poorly that it had to be reveresed adn let me tell you the reconstruction is a million tiems worse then the LR.  If i could do it all over I would not do it or would at least make sure it would work for me and have no other options.  Just my 2 cents :)

support