Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: post acl + mcl reconstruction  (Read 779 times)

Offline dodge5326

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
post acl + mcl reconstruction
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »
Hi my name is Dan age 25.

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice i had a complete rupture of my MCL and also a complete rupture to my ACL (left leg) playing rugby 2 years ago
i had reconstructive surgery on my MCL in nov 2007 and surgery on my ACL in june of this year, i have gone through physiotherapy and rehab and
am now fully weight bearing and started weight lifting with no problems.
I recently had a check up with my surgeon and after checking over my knee it was found i had slight movement in in my MCL and the graft had slightly stretched
i can feel some movement in the knee with normal motion but nothing that causes any pain or discomfort.
My surgeon then went on to say he couldnít advise whether i should or should not return to rugby but my knee with the condition of my quads and calf muscles
currently  is not strong enough , and said i need to seriously build up my leg muscles to strengthen the knee.

My question is should i even think about playing rugby again? I was advised not to have the ACL reconstructed but did so to be able to play rugby again Iím 25 years old and donít want to be watching from the sideline the rest of my life. Can the knee be strong enough with a stretched MCL and will building my leg muscles up really help with knee strength??

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated  ???

Offline MorganaKC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: post acl + mcl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:34:10 AM »
It depends on your personal situation. I chose not to return to rugby because I didn't, and still don't, feel my knee is stable enough, regardless of how much strength I build up.

Certainly, the strength of your leg muscles plays a huge part in the support of your knee. Your knee is weaker than it was before you tore the ligaments so you need your leg muscles, particularly quads and hamstrings, to support it and keep it from slipping out of place. They also help keep your knee in alignment.

PT might be useful, as a trained physiotherapist will be able to help you with strengthening your muscles and also give you a fair idea on how far you have to go and whether or not you're stable enough.
R KNEE
Partial medial menisectomy Nov 05
Partial lateral menisectomy Aug 06
Partial menisectomy/ACLr Apr 07
Partial medial menisectomy May 08
Synvisc Jan 09

Offline dodge5326

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: post acl + mcl reconstruction
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:56:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply,
I feel stable and confident with the knee to the point where I can do light training sprinting side steps etc but it's confidence in the strength of the joint under impact ie tackle from the side, the movement is when the knee is relaxed and not bearing any Weight.