Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long until i can play rugby after my ACL reconstruction?  (Read 10682 times)

Offline BEAKYMAX

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How long until i can play rugby after my ACL reconstruction?
« on: November 24, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »
I had the results of my MRI scan today and was told:
I have torn my ACL,
grade 1 strain of MCL,
torn meniscus,
and a tear at the Patella insertion of the medial retinaculum.
The Doctor said that i will need an ACL reconstruction.
Does anyone have any idea how long it is likely to be before i can play rugby again?

Offline MorganaKC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: How long until i can play rugby after my ACL reconstruction?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:47:58 AM »
That's something you really need to dicuss with your OS. It differs between cases and situations. Since rugby is high-risk for ACL injuries, it's likely to be around 6-9 months. It depends on what level you play and how much strength you regain and at what rate.
R KNEE
Partial medial menisectomy Nov 05
Partial lateral menisectomy Aug 06
Partial menisectomy/ACLr Apr 07
Partial medial menisectomy May 08
Synvisc Jan 09

Pin2Ride

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:59:17 AM »
I agree with MorganaKC 's advice..

It's around  6- 9 months with my best friends back to play extreme sports .  She had ACL  reconstruction  twice time and both of knee for 3 years :  1st  on Lelf knee 0f 2006 , 2nd  on right knee of 2008  cause of plays basketball.

Offline rugby32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Simon
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »
Best I've seen for a pro has been back to match action after six months (24X7 supervised rehab programme) otherwise min 9 months for a dedicated semi-pro/amateur under supervision of experienced physio. You need to factor in rugby specific rehab including re-acquainting yourself with contact!

Apart from the medial retinaculum my knee had the same damage assessment as yours and if it helps I returned to play national league rugby for 5 years. Ignore my current injury status, you'll probably have a different repair  :)

Simon
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 08:57:32 PM by rugby32 »
ACL rupture - September 2000
Patellar tendon ACL repair - May 2001
Patellar tendon rupture and repair - October 2009

RugbyGal

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 02:38:44 PM »
Really really depends on the patient.  My good buddy torn his ACL during rugby and couldnt play for a year and half cos he had to get revisional surgery ...i think to remove the screws or something with the hardware or whatever so it really depnds on your progression.  I had 2 ops for instable knee cap which is even harder to treat that ACLs  and my doctor is confident that return to rugby within 8 monthes.  I think if you go to phyiso, the rehab, the gym religiously you should be able to play within 6 to 9 months.  But good luck with everything

Offline matthewgee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »
you've done a lot of damage to that knee of yours.  As others have said, your recovery time is dependent on how much physio you recieve and effort you put into getting back to full strength.  The other thing to consider is the length of time between your operation/s because unless you're still very active (unlikely) you'll experience muscle wastage which will take additional time to return. 

I tore my ACL and cartilage in May 2009 and had the 2nd op (ACL recon) in July.  I've been doing weights for months, cycling and and running fairly regularly but it's still noticable how much weaker my left leg is than my right.  Strength and stability will take time to return.  A friend damaged his knee and returned to football too soon - he ended up spending far longer recovering than initially expected.  It may seem like ages now but don't rush your return.

Hope all goes well.