Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteotomy healed still not walking 7 months post op  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
Osteotomy healed still not walking 7 months post op
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:27:19 AM »
Hey Guys,

When I went to see Dr. T.  three weeks ago, he said that the bones had healed, and you could barely see the line where the fracture was.  He also told me that it takes 18 months for soft tissue to heal.  He is still very disappointed and puzzled as to why I'm unable to walk, even with one crutch.  One theory is that the muscles are so atrophied after three previous surgeries, that they can't support the leg enough, and that the bones are doing all the work.

Since the bones didn't heal until 6 months, the hardware won't be coming out any time soon.  My PT was doing dry needling, which usues an acupunture needle and finds trigger points.  The needle gets popped in, and is twisted until it is released.  It hurts like hell, and I'm pretty pain tolerant.  I do Pilates exercises, and ride the bike for 14 minutes with little resistance.  I come home and collapse on the couch.  Then, I start to shake and am freezing cold for 4-5 hours.  My internist says this is a typical pain response, and reminded me of when my legs shook uncontollably during labor.  The next day, I feel as though I have been beaten with a baseball bat.

I finally told my PT that I needed to cut back to 1 day a week, so that I wasn't laid up 4 days, with only 3 to work on walking and driving.  She finally increased my home program, which I do faithfully.  I also use e-stim, bone stimulator, kinesio tape and lidocaine patches.

I have been doing an hour here and there with one crutch. So yesterday, I walked with one crutch around the kitchen and house  for 5 hours.  Much of that time I was sitting up to an hour.  Last night, I was in agony.  Today, I'm NWB and back to 2 crutches.  I had to drive one place, and it was painful.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!!!  I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!

It's almost 7 months, and I know that you can't rush healing.  My worst fear is that the quarter sized lesion is still there, but that wouldn't prevent me from walking.  I've live with that constant pain for 7 years.  The hope was to realign, hoping that would help.

I just don't know how much deeper I can dig.  I cry almost every day in the shower, so that no one can hear me.  This is the only outlet I have, as friends and family are just as sick of it as I do.  I am seriously wondering if I would be better off just lying in bed all day.  I have never given up on anything in my life.

Thanks for listening.  This is a very hard place to live.

Aree
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline Tailwind

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Osteotomy healed still not walking 7 months post op
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »
Alyce

You had one of the longest NWB episodes of anyone on this site. Its going to take a while to get your strength back.

How's your overall health? How is your diet? Do you eat meat? I have read that it is very important to get protein when working to regain muscle strength and mass. Many women who are either vegatarian or habitual dieters dont get enough protein and it inhibits their recovery. You need the amino acids to rebuild the muscle. You can also look to protein powder and amino acid supplements.

Just a thought.

Keep at it. Never give up.
10/06 - Man v. Dog Collision
12/07 - Meniscus Trim
4/08, 12/08 - Synvisc
6/09 - Diagnostic Arthroscopy
8/09 - DFO

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
Re: Osteotomy healed still not walking 7 months post op
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 05:57:17 PM »

Hey Tailwind, 

Thanks so much for posting.  I have not regained my stamina yet.  Even though I sleep 9 hours, I am still worn out by about 4pm.  Otherwise, I consider myself healthy.

I am 5" 10" and weigh 125 lbs.  I have weighed this amount virtually my entire adult life, with the exception of pregnancy.  In the last six months my weight has stayed the same, but my pant size has gone up one.  I think this is due to lost muscle.  Also, when women gain any weight, it's usually around the middle.  I don't care; I just want to get better.

I don't eat any junk food.  I was raised this way, but also my daughter was diagnosed at age 3 with Type 1 diabetes.  To this day, there is nothing in my house that she can't eat... and she's 1000 miles away at college.  I eat protein at lunch and dinner.  I have to force myself to eat red meat at least 3 times a week, because I don't like the taste of it.  I eat a lot of chicken and wish I was better at cooking fish.

I am going today to Whole Foods to get recommendations on protein powder.  Does it really work?  I eat Luna bars, but wonder if they work also.

When I started to do Cybex to make my arms stronger, they actually got skinnier!!!  They are very well toned, but I was looking for a little bulk.  Much of this is genetics.  My Mom was slender, and all the men on her side of the family were long and lanky.  My husband is 6' 2" and we have the same inseam.

My daughter's nickname for me is "grasshopper", which is about what my thigh looks like presently.

Thanks again,

Aree
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010