Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Plica questions  (Read 1629 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Plica questions
« on: November 23, 2009, 03:00:14 PM »
Hi,

I had suprapatella and lateral plicas, which were exised when I had my chrondoplasty.  I did a little reading into plicass and looked at some posts and I've noticed that they seem to be most common on the medial side.

I also noticed that most people have trouble after plicas are removed adn I was wondering why this is.

I'm walking reasonably well now and working on climbing steps and eventually kneeling, but I'm still a bit tender in the region where the plicas had been and wondered if it hadn't quite healed yet, even though i have very little visible swelling left.

I've also read that once a plica is gone it can't come back int he same place and then I read a post where someone said that their's did come back in the same place.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Plica questions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »
Hi There,

I had a Medial Plica Excision on my right knee last week Monday along with some work on the fat pad and 8 days lator still very sore on th medial side above the kneecap and each time I bend my knee in it hurts a fair bit and can normally can take pain ok but this is very intense and feels worse then it was before the surgery but its still early days and should improve in time. I hope when I see a PT he can sort out the pain I am having as it may get better over a period of time.

Still slow up and down the stairs but PT will improve my ROM and mobility like I said more and less had my surgery so bound to be a bit sore, have alot of swelling above the kneecap that kept me awake last night which never happened before my scope.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Pin2Ride

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:26:37 PM »
hi , all

I had big plica  on my left knee and never had bad accident before.  I had surgery to remove plica and fixing  a little meniscus tear on last month old.

The OS  told me that  it was happen cause of I've play sport  over 10 years as athlete and nature of cause. yep  he said so.. 

Actually , I'm going to see the OS tomorrow and talk about the plica pain problem on my right knee  and  want some advice...

My right knee is back to plica pain again without cause.   

I'm notice on my left knee  , it's going well  and better more then before the surgery.

I'm gonna waiting to see  the next reply who had double time for surgery then me.. it's just my first time to surgery and still concern of the future from now..

I will update after see the OS  on tomorrow.   ;)  let's us know.. 

anyone have question  to ask  the OS ?  you can leave the question at here Or  PM me.. as you want..  I will  ask him  for you all.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:19:54 PM by Pin2Ride »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:50:30 AM »
Hi Pin,

You may need the plica removed in your right knee and I also think that the plica may be causing problems in my left knee that was not operated on as I also get catching and sharp pain in that knee at times but not as bad as the right knee was. I think I read up in your other post it took your OS some time to remove the plica is that normal to take a while to remove it as I woke up after 2 hours and was ment to take 40 minutes and normally would wake up failrly soon after the surgery so must have been in theatre longer then they thought I would be.

My plica injury was caused by a fall but who knows might have been a problem before the fall as the right knee caused me problems before my fall.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Pin2Ride

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 05:32:41 PM »
็Hi nick,

I went to the OS  already, He couldn't confirm yet.  He ask for  time to research about the case of mine. 

He  maked appointment  me after new year festival  to  talking again.   He checked out my knee and inform me  that not same diagnosis on my left knee because of different symptoms.    However  , i can wait for him  to research..

While I was thinking  why he doesn't confirm the current  diagnosis yet,  but my sense tell me that I'm going to surgery  on second round !  I bet it !   ::)

This time is almost to New Year  Party . The nurse won't work on Holidays , i guess.   :P   that's why the OS  skip up the time to appointment.

The plica  can located  anywhere in the knee ..  No more cause , He said. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:43:55 PM by Pin2Ride »

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »
I had suprapatella and lateral plicas and before my scope I could feel on the lateral side of my patella something that felt like a little piece of gristle.  Its gone now and I was wondering if that was one of the plica.

On my other leg i can feel two such gristly things that cause me pain and I wonder if they are the plica.  I don't know for sure if I have plicas in my other knee but it would make sense.

What I'd like to know is: Is it common to be able to feel plica so near the surface?

Also, I understand that plicas do not always needto be removed.  Is there anyone here who has plicas and decided not to have them exised.

My recovery form the last scope has been so difficult that I could not bear the thought of having another.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »
Hi kscope09

I had catching and sharp pain on lateral side of my knee cap on my right knee but had the medial plica removed on 16th November along with the fat pad which makes me think was it the fat pad causing the catching or couild it be maltracking? still not sure if catching been sorted or not?

I can feel something on the lateral side on both my knees near to the surface as well if I place my hands over kneecap can feel it and wounder maybe its normal or maybe its some tracking problems as the plica is part of the PFS section so must be something connected with tracking problems.

I do at times get sudden sharp pain on lateral side where I feel the surface catching in both knees even after my surgery on right still get sharp pain but its too soon to say if its helped or not.

My recovery so far not gone well but only just into the 4th week after surgery and may need more time for knee to get back to normal as possible.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:32:18 PM »
Recovery from plica seems to be generally long and difficult from what I'vwe seen of the posts on this forum.

However where I had the plicas taken from feels a lot better and I'm not sorry to see them go.

The small gristly thing on the lateral side of my right knee is gone so I think that must have been the plica.  None of teh physion would give it the time of day though.

I had maltracking on the right knee but i got it back on track and that really eased symptoms I can tell you.  I'm also told that my other knee is tracking and I've read that plica can be treated without surgery so I'm prepared to leave them for now.

Pin2Ride

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 02:52:18 PM »
I'm also told that my other knee is tracking and I've read that plica can be treated without surgery so I'm prepared to leave them for now.

Really?  But How to do ?  If you can explain about it..  I'd  be appreciate.

I'm still have a hopefully   to see the other way to the plica can leave from the knee without surgery.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »
You can't make the plica go away but you can ease it with ice and anti-inflamatories.  Unless you have them excised they are a permenant problem to deal with.  I'm prepared to put up with them ifor now.

support