Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Having tibial tubercle osteotomy/ lateral release surgery soon?  (Read 917 times)

Offline SunshineBec

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Having tibial tubercle osteotomy/ lateral release surgery soon?
« on: November 23, 2009, 07:22:34 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first day on this site and think it's great. In two days i am having a tibial tubercle osteotom and a lateral release. I am 13 years old and absouletly terrified. It is quite hard to find information on these and would like to your own personal experience. It would be excellent to know how long for the pain to stop, how long it took to start doing normal activity and anything else that would be helpful.  Thanks very much

Bec
21-7-2008 Dislocated right knee whilst doing a bendback
2-8-2008 Right knee Arthoscopy for bone chips
16-12-2008 Manipulation of right knee
26-11-2009 Lateral Release and Tibial Tubercle Transfer

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Having tibial tubercle osteotomy/ lateral release surgery soon?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »
I had a TTT and LR earlier this year, first thing I would say is make sure you are given some decent pain relief (I'm not sure whY they will give you though if you are only 13 years old), I came home with paracetamol which didn't touch the pain once the morphine wore off.

If you keep on top of the pain relief, icing the leg and following what you are told to do  you will do fine. I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks with a brace which increased the ROM over the 6 weeks. I was fully weight bearing after 10 weeks but was still having physio till the end of September. The op was the best thing I have done when I decided to go ahead as my knee is better than it has been in a long time, so much so I am having the same on the left knee now.

The best thing I can also recommend is reading the post op diaries as they are a great help in giving you an idea of what is to come.

Good luck!!!   
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws