Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: need a question answered  (Read 1194 times)

Offline MR

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
need a question answered
« on: November 21, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
hi i am having a scope done...to remove a tear in meniscus....i forgot to ask the doc if once he is inside my knee if he will fix everything he see's wrong....does anyone here know if they do that or do they need the patients permission first???

Offline MorganaKC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: need a question answered
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
I think it varies between surgeons and hospitals. My OS removed more of my meniscus than he said he would, only because there was more damage than expected.
R KNEE
Partial medial menisectomy Nov 05
Partial lateral menisectomy Aug 06
Partial menisectomy/ACLr Apr 07
Partial medial menisectomy May 08
Synvisc Jan 09

Offline MR

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:20:03 PM »
thanks morgan...i'm in canada...and i'm kicking my a$$ for not asking....

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
You can always call you surgeon's office and ask, or wait until the day of to clarify exactly what will be done if additional damage is found/additional procedures are deemed necessary at the time the scope is done. They usually put in writing what is to be done in the OR.

It's common practice here in the US to just fix the additional damage if it can be addressed at that time, such as shaving frayed articular cartilage, or trimming a second meniscus tear. A more serious issue that they're not prepared for, such as a torn acl would require a separate procedure because of the graft, and additional instruments etc that they would have not have available, plus the operating room time, etc.

multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »
I would make it be very clear before surgery what you want to have done, and specifically what you do NOT want to have done while he's in there.  I know of so many people who have gone in for surgery for something like a meniscal tear and have come out of surgery also having had a lateral release done without permission or other things that were not mentioned or discussed beforehand.  It's YOUR knee, so make sure that you know exactly what is going to be done, and exactly what things you do NOT want your surgeon to do while in there.  Ultimately, it's up to you to know what is going on, and to have the conversation with your surgeon so that you are both clear about what procedures are going to happen.

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline MR

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:21:35 PM »
thanks everyone.....i know there is just more than a tear going on in there...and i want him to fix everything at once...and i can't beleive I didn't ask him....I'm gonna get a hold of his office and see what i can do

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 74
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
Hi There,

My OS just went inside my right knee last week not knowing whats wrong inside the knee as MRI came up normal but once he was inside removed my plica and reduced the fat pad at least that what I think he did as I never saw him after my surgery and have to wait 6 weeks to see him for post op appointment. It just said on report plica and fat pad problems. Have been told you should only have LR done if your OS thinks it will help you out, but only get it done if you happy to go ahead with it as it works for some people while for others it just causes even more knee problems.

I would say put your trust in your OS as he the expert at the end of the day and knows what needs doing once he/she looks inside your knee.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support