Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Banged knee - looking for advice  (Read 2046 times)

Offline chewymix

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Banged knee - looking for advice
« on: November 21, 2009, 03:12:08 PM »
i have an appt at my GP on Tuesday morning to hopefully get a referral to a sports medicine doctor but i am asking for advice here as i dont know whats going on with my knee.

5 weeks ago today i banged the upper left part of my left knee cap / tendon into a post while rushing around. It hurt at the time as knee bangs do but faded and there was no real swelling that i could see and only a very tiny little bruise that soon went. Going up stairs was difficult for about a week but that has since got much better not to the point of taking them more than 1 at a time but i dont limp when i go up them.

this brings me to my main concern - even though there is no apparent swelling my knee feels stiff, but i have full ROM, and sometimes feels weak like it might buckle forward. The area that got hit on the top of the knee feels different to the touch also in that it feels bruised/numb but its not numb i can actually feel it. The worse part of all this is the trouble i have at night sleeping due to a deep ache / pain down the back outerside of my knee, just in from the ligaments that are on the left hand side (looking down) and behind the knee, that seems to happen when the leg is straight, if i slightly bend the knee this seems to ease it off a bit but its still sore enough for me to not sleep very well.

Why would this still hurt a lot after 5 weeks yet my ability to go upstairs has improved? I sometimes feel the odd catch from in the knee and it seems to click but then again so does the non injured knee. It sometimes also feels like the knee cap is being forced forward slightly like there is pressure behind it but as i mentioned i cant really see any swelling.

Any thoughts? I am seeing the GP on Tuesday but i've been thinking about this a lot since the sleepless nights and i wonder if anyone has ever experienced anything similar?

thanks

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Banged knee - looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:22:53 PM »
One of the patellar bursa is in the area just above the kneecap, and they don't like impacts. The tendons connecting to the kneecap glide over these bursa.You might have a condition called bursitis involving the bursa above the kneecap. You'll need to get the knee checked out to figure this out for sure. The mild swelling of the bursa could affect the kneecap just enough that it feels wierd to you. Try putting an icepack just above the kneecap several times a day and see if that helps a little while you're waiting to see the doc.

I'm no medical professional, and this is purely a guess on my part, but it seems to make sense to me from what I know based on my own assorted knee troubles.

Hope you feel better soon.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline chewymix

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Banged knee - looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
thanks for that suggestion - i will look into that