Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR with valgus(knock) knee?  (Read 16483 times)

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
TKR with valgus(knock) knee?
« on: November 21, 2009, 02:23:31 AM »
Hi to all- I would like to know if anyone has had a TKR on a valgus knee?  I am bone on bone on the lateral side of my right knee and it is becoming more "knock kneed".  My OS said, there is the possibility of peroneal nerve paralysis creating a dropped foot when they do a TKR on this kind of knee.  At the moment,  I'm holding on with my swimming and walking and cortisone and Supartz.  But he is watching to make sure it doesn't become any more bent, which may make the TKR more difficult to do successfully!  He thinks I have 8-10 years if it stays as is.  If not, TKR HERE I COME!!!!!  Help!
TKR  finally done!!!  9/9/13     Whew!!

Offline Rhiannon

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: TKR with valgus(knock) knee?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »
Good morning 60schld:

I'm no expert, but it has been my impression that "knock-kneed-ness" is actually something that TKR does a good job of correcting.  Others will likely chime in, here.  In the meantime, perhaps you can query the "search" section of this website for more info?

Best,

Rhiannon
---Be nice to your knees.  You'll miss them when they're gone.
---Proud owner of two new knees, 1/4/10

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
Thanks Rhiannon~ I just hope I'm not one of the casualties of the peroneal nerve complication.  By the way, I love your signature!  You definitely will miss your knees when they're gone.  I miss mine already!! :'(

Offline Rhiannon

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 01:34:38 PM »
Good morning 60schld:

You are most welcome.  I did a quick "Search" on this topic, and found an informative list of info, the link to which is http://www.lifebridgehealth.org/sinaibody.cfm?id=4092  On the list, items #51 and #52 address the peroneal nerve issue, directly.

As for missing one's knees when they're gone, yes-indeedy-doody I sure do miss mine, too  :'( !

Best wishes,

Rhiannon

---Be nice to your knees.  You'll miss them when they're gone.
---Proud owner of two new knees, 1/4/10

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Rhiannon~ Thanks for a very informative article!  I have bookmarked it~ 60schld

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »
Hi BadHairDay~  I have heard of osteotomies.  However, I am, unfortunately, not a good candidate for that.  I am 1.too old( 57) 2. I also have major kneecap issues.  Thanks for your reply.  I am curious to know whether any one else here had a TKR with this knock-kneed problem, and how they are doing?

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
Thanks, I definitely will look into it :D!

Offline Huskercat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »
My original OS told me osteotomies only work about 50% of the time and thus didn't even want to do one on me. I also knew some elderly people who had had them, and eventually ended up with a fused knee joint. But again, this was years ago.

I am on my 3rd OS in 9 years and really feel I should have seen this guy in the very first place (is the head of OS at one of the hospitals here) and my original surgery might have had a far better outcome. However, when it's a traumatic injury, you go where the ambulance takes you, and when your knee is hanging in a brace by its one good ligament, you really aren't mobile enough to get 2nd and 3rd and 4th opinions.

Am scheduled for left TKR on January 5th. Hopefully I can get rid of some of this hip and lower back pain if I can walk right again!  ;)

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:36:28 PM »
 Hi Huskercat~ Since that posting, I have read a few hours worth about osteotomies and have come to the conclusion I do not have the guts to take that challenge.  Especially since IF it is not successful, which is as you said 50/50, it makes TKR much more difficult and I am not up to that  kind of gamble. PLUS....the recovery is VERY lengthy and difficult.  Anyway, the principle behind cutting into bone, then "grafting" it into place, is not something that sounds good to me.  I felt very uncomfortable about the procedure. TKRs are scary too and there's no going back.  BUT at least I will have a better chance and hopefully just 1 surgery! :o :(

Offline mrs_lady

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 03:58:27 AM »
Hello everybody.  I am severly knock kneed.  It was hardly noticable years ago but as time went by it got worse, have been taking antī-inflammatory meds for ages.  I went to a knee surgeon several years ago and he said TKR was the only option.  I have been putting it off for years and itīs getting worse.  The most I can walk is maybe a block.  I can drive to the supermarket and walk around but thatīs the limit of what I can do..I am finally at the end of the line. 
   I have procrastinated as long as I can, am trying to convince myself to go for TKR surgery next year.  When I am standing up my feet are now 9.5 inches apart with my knees touching.  (yes, am overweight so that doesnņt help).  Yet when I am sitting with knees touching my feet are also touching, my feet spread as I stand up!
    He wanted me to go for a x-ray of both legs from the waist down and when he measured the distance between my feet realized the x-ray screen is NOT THAT WIDE.  So Will have to
x-ray each leg separately so thatīs serious.
    And he was  telling me about how he will have to cut the peroneal nerve on the outside of the leg as it is very stretched out.  Shortening it is called decompression.  It could result in numbness of the foot or the foot completely dropping.  Nerves donīt heal that fast you know.
    I think this will probably be one of th most difficult TKRīs he has ever done and I am so scared.  If I put this off much longer am afraid I could end up in a wheelchair so I guess I better go but in my heart I am so terrified.  I need some feedback from anybody who has had TKR on severe knock knees.  mrs_lady

Offline huntingandmoon

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »
Hi All,

I had a horrible case of knock kneed.  It was so bad when I wore pants the fabric would actually pull in between my knees!  Now, I have to say my original OS who did the surgery (since has been fired) never mentioned to me the possibility of nerve damage because of the valgus nor did he ever check the measurements of my legs.  After the TKR the valgus went away completely and my pant fabric no longer pulls in at my knees. I have since been to another OS who ran some tests, one of which showed some nerve damage near my shin. I required more surgery where he put in a thicker and highly congruent liner (spacer) because of severe instability of the knee.  Even after the 2nd surgery the valgus never returned so I assume a TKR does improve the valgus.

Unfortunately, I'm still hyper extending that leg - something I'll be checking into after the Holidays..

Take care of yourself -

Diana

Offline mrs_lady

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 04:33:01 AM »
I have SEVERE knock knees.  My doctor wanted to send me for a from the hip down x-ray of both legs and was surprised to realize the screen would not be wide enough, will have to do each leg separately.  So that is severe.
    I have been procrastinating for years and years but am the point I can hardly walk and the pain is beyond excrutiating so its TKR or a wheelchair.
    I am so scared, have an real phobia, have never ever had any stay in a hospital let alone a surgery.
    I live in a apratment that had no elevator, am on the 3rd floor so wonder how long it will take to be able to go down the stairs, am afraid Iīll be in here for life.
    Yes, the doctor tried to explain about the peroneal nerve and that scares me too.  I am not a person of will power or determination.  Have already been slightly scolded for my lck of positive attitude but I just donīt feel lucky.  I live alone but do have some help.  I cry a lot now just thinking about it, are the chances of nerve damage really 50/50?  That sounds pretty terrible.  I have medical insurance but not for repeated operations. 
    The surgeon has an excellent record and he feels he can do it.  But can I?????

Offline mrs_lady

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 04:15:40 AM »
You know what, I feel really bad that nobody ever responds to me. 

Please, would somebody with valgus who has it corrected sucessfully please tell me this. 

My feet are 9 1/2 inches apart, knees touching.  My doctor is optimistic he can straiaighten each leg with a knee repalcement (not at the same time).  What are the chances this could be done with one surgery on each leg.

To make my situation even worse my insurance company has failed and I will have to pay myself and my funds are limited so this cannot become an endless saga.

Is there anywhere here on knee geek or anywhere I can find before and after images of corrected valgus.

Hoping to hear from somebody, am very depressed to say the least. 

Offline Redwing

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »
Sorry that you are feeling so bad Mrs L and that you haven't had a response.  Maybe it is because no one reading it has the valgus problem, I don't know.  My problem was the opposite; bone on bone osteoarthritis but I was bow legged.  I do know that when my OS did my TKR, he straightened my leg as well so that can be done for bow leggedness so maybe it can for your knock knees too.  Sorry not to be more helpful, hopefully someone else will reply who is experiencing what you are.
2001: first referral to OS for osteoarthritis in knees after about 5 years of OA pain.  Told I was too young for knee replacement.
July 2009 Bilateral arthroscopy
Jan 2010 TKR-right knee

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »
Hi Mrs L - sorry I can't actaully help. As Redwing says, perhaps no one on here has had this type of deformity and a TKR. A quick hunt through google however did show this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.advancedorthopaedics.com.sg/img/clinical/c1-p2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.advancedorthopaedics.com.sg/clinical_case.html&usg=__hvZtORe2i2jdK3SJZ1figEFOj1E=&h=193&w=286&sz=10&hl=en&start=31&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=_eSIPXva9UX6RM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtkr%2Bon%2Bvalgus%2Bknees%26start%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4ACPW_enGB351GB352%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1

The Case Study 1 shows valgus knees X rays before and after a TKR. OK, its slightly different as its RA based but it sure seems that the leg looks straight.

I hope things improve for you, it must be so scary being alone and in pain. Keep trying to be positive,

Lottie xx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

support