Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: pain/catching s/p meniscectomy and shaving of cartilage( long, sorry)  (Read 5179 times)

Offline jrwest100

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello- a nOOb here :). I am having a concern. start with brief hx. Back in feb of this year, i noticed i was having swelling in my left lower extremety. pcp sent me for u/s to r/o dvt- which was negative. But on palpation, it was noted to be VERY tender on the inside of the knee, and also very tender on the medial aspect of the shin. pcp said probable meniscus tear, gave me nsaids, and sent me on my merry way. now I work as an RN on a vert busy acute care floor, and a lot of times we dont get breaks for 6-8 hours into the shift, standing/running the whole time.about september, i was getting to the point I would be limping 5 hours into the shift- got to the point I couldnt hardly walk anymore. Went to pcp who dx me with pes anserine bursitis. Sent me for x rays, which showed slight degeneration in the RIGHT knee. I begged for a referral to OS. He dx me right away with meniscal tear- based on how much I flew off the table when he palpated the area- said the bursitis was from walking abnl. Now I am almost 2 weeks post arthroscopy. medial knee pain is not as bad, but when I walk, if i turn just wrong, i get an excruciating catching in the middle of my knee below the kneecap. Also the more i walk , the worse things get. I am still having to use one crutch. Doc made aware of this- says I need to start exercises( straight leg with gradual increases of weight EOD starting at 2.5 lb up to 10lbs. Have noticed this helping in the straightening dept, but still have pain on walking. Forgot to mention- OS said that femoral cartilage was cracked, and he cleaned it up by removing the shreds.

so, my question is- is this normal recovery- should i still be feeling something catching in light of the cartilage repair? i can actually hear some catching /cracking when i go up stairs. If i were to twist the joint at that moment- thats when i get the excruciating pain, and have to stop and bend the joint to release it.anyy thoughts? sorry so long
left meniscectomy 30%, debridement of left femoral articular cartilage crack 11/6/09

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: pain/catching s/p meniscectomy and shaving of cartilage( long, sorry)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »
At this point it's kind of hard to say, since you're not even a month post surgery. I would definitely call the surgeon and tell him you've got a sharp pain in the knee , and ask what to do about it. Discomfort and some mild pain 2-3 weeks postop from a partial meniscectomy with chondroplasty would not be too unusual, but sharp pain is something I would ask about for sure.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline jrwest100

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:43:12 AM »
thanks dm for your reply. Now I am 3 weeks out from surgery- pain has diminished, but I am still having some catching going on- its actually audible snapping- exactly medial of the kneecap. It still catches ( and is subsequently painful) to where I have to bend my knee to make it feel better. Has anyone had any experience with this?
left meniscectomy 30%, debridement of left femoral articular cartilage crack 11/6/09

Offline NadiaMac

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 03:05:48 PM »
I am 5 weeks post-partial lateral meniscotomy, medial plica removal and chondroplasty, and if my knee if particularly swollen, I have snapping on the medial side around the joint line area. The snapping is particularly noticeable when I cycle. Earlier in my recovery when I was even more swollen, I had a knuckle-cracking sensation that was usually preceded by a feeling of tension or like something was being caught (but was not the same as the catching before the surgery).  Neither was particularly painful, though the area of the snapping starts to feel a little sore after some cycling.  OS and PT think these symptoms are due to inflammation-- something within the knee is not exactly where it should be due to swelling so is cracking or snapping.

You say that your pain is a sharp pain. My cracking and snapping never resulted in sharp pain.  Did you have pain like this before your surgery (sorry if I missed this detail in your earlier post). 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:10:48 PM by NadiaMac »
4/09 MTB crash, severe patellar impact. MRI cleanish, but lots of pain
6/09 start PT, cortisone, synvist
10/23/09 scope: medial plica excision, lateral meniscectomy, chondroplasty

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »
Well.... I had medial and lateral partial meniscectomies and patella chondroplasty a year and a half ago, and I literally walked out of the surgery center by myself without crutches.  Painful and sore, yes, and I spent several days holding onto furniture at home for support, but within a week I was walking pretty regularly and within two weeks I was gardening and packing boxes to move houses.  But... keep in mind that everyone is different and everyone's bodies react and heal from surgery differently.  If your pain is concerning to you, I'd definitely put in a call to your surgeon's office to find out why you still have that sharp pain.  Your surgeon would be the best place to get your questions answered.

2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline jrwest100

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »
ughhh. so frustrated.I called surgeons office to see if it would be ok to start physical therapy. I told him I was still having some pain, but what concerns me  isnt the knee pain so much, but the fact that it is so stiff, and the more i walk on it , the stiffer it gets- i still have bad pain in the shinbone area down the leg, and it is still having pitting edema on the whole lower leg. The shin pain is quite bothersome- and because of it I cant walk normal- I can see why my knee went to &$*^%- the leg doesnt track right(it didnt before either), so I keep stressing the knee out. This is why I wanted to start phys Therapy- maybe get the inflammation in my shin down, get the knee tracking right. Well, the doc says no , not yet- we'll discuss on the 11th , when i have a follow up. He wants me to continue with the straiht leg raises with weight- I am doing 5 lbs eod. But after I do that, the leg doesnt want to bend, and still catches occasionally where you can hear it snap. Then it feels better after it snaps.
I dont know why he doesnt want me to do PT yet. He did say something about taking an x ray to see how the joint space is. I doubt even if the joint space was gone- would that cause medial shin pain?
Ugh, I just want to get back to normal. I dont want this drawn out or I lose my job in 12 weeks- have already used 4 weeks up. The disability people are breathing down my neck :(

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:02:57 PM »
You should DEFINITELY be in PT right now--yoru doc should have had you meet with a PT ASAP, in fact. After all of mine, I've been at the therapy office within 5 days of surgery.

Part of your pain and stffness could very well be from scar tissue and disuse. PT will help that.

And still having pain and crackling is very normal. It doesn't happen to every single person, some people do a marathon 4 weeks later, but it's not unusual. Even more reason to get into PT. Can you self-refer?
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline jrwest100

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 11:19:50 PM »
i just wonder what the doc is thinking. And all this makes me wonder if I made a mistake going to him- he was highly recommended by the nurses I work with. I guess I get to find out friday, as that is my appt. maybe I'm being impatient. He did say he wanted to take another x ray then- what could he be looking for after the surgery?
I was able to walk around a store for about an hour- it got really stiff and was catching almost every step, but not excruciating in pain.Just uncomfortable and awkward.