Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4th right knee arthroscopy in December  (Read 3087 times)

Offline CatiePaige0821

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Through God All Things Are Possible.
4th right knee arthroscopy in December
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »
I'm 19 years old and in December I'm having my 4th right knee arthroscopy. I've learned to not be upset, because it doesn't do anything but frustrate me. Lately I've been going with the flow and letting things play out, because everything happens for a reason, right? I basically have no lateral meniscus left in my right knee and my medial meniscus is not in the best shape either. I had ACL reconstruction using a hamstring graft in 2004 and now I am having an ACL revision. I've been told I can no longer participate in sports except for swimming and biking. I live to play basketball, I love it and it's something that always puts me in a different place and relieves all stress. I need a meniscus transplant, but I have absolutely no time to even consider that right now. I'm a sophomore in college and have to focus on school. I decided to post here because I figured it would give me a place to vent and maybe receive some guidance in the process. Any advice/guidance/anything is appreciated.
Torn ACL, Medial/Lateral Meniscus
Surgery August 4th, 2004

Medial/Lateral Meniscus Tears
Surgery August 10th, 2007

Surgery September 1st, 2009

ACL Laxity. ACL Revision
Surgery December 17th, 2009

Arthroscopy
Surgery October 11th, 2010

Offline BadHairDay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 4th right knee arthroscopy in December
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »
"everything happens for a reason"

yep. heard that one.
also heard

"God helps  those who help themselves"

“Actions are the seed of fate deeds grow into destiny.”
 Harry Truman

“It's choice--not chance--that determines your destiny.”
 Jean Nidetch

“It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped”
Anthony Robbins

when it comes to protecting your future, you have to do all that you can to help yourself.  there's no being passive about it, here. how many opinions have you sought? did you call the number that poster gave you for his surgeon?

here's another:

"Many people fall into the trap of inactivity. Many people ask God for help, but then expect God to do everything Himself. They excuse this by pointing to the fact that God will provide according to His will and in His timing. However, this is not a reason for inactivity. As a specific example, if you are in need of a job, ask the Lord to help you find a job - but then be active in actually looking for a job. While it is in His power to do so, it is highly unlikely that God will cause employers to come looking for you!"

nor will good doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CatiePaige0821

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
I know that there's nothing to be passive about, that's why I'm going through with the ACL revision. The only time I have off that I can have surgery is the middle of December till the middle of January. I'm working with that time I have. I did not call the poster's surgeon. That surgeon and I are thousands of miles away, so seeking his opinion isn't going to get me anywhere. I can't exactly jump onto a plane and go see him any time that I please. The surgeon I have now is well known and he has a very good reputation. My knee is in good hands and I have to follow through with what he says because he only has my best interest in mind.
Surgery August 4th, 2004

ACL Laxity. ACL Revision

Arthroscopy

Offline bumkneeblonde

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Really want my life back :-(
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 08:49:10 PM »
Hi CaitiePaige-
I'm 23 and have been dealing w/ my knee/leg stuff since about 19 y.o. I was almost done in nursing school but had to leave b/c physically I couldn't keep up plus was just not safe for my pt's! I feel your frustration and I also believe that everything happens for a reason. It's on my profile, lol. What's your major in college? Let me know if you need anything tips or anything, sounds goofy, but the littlest things help.
-sarah
25y.o.
06'-R Knee arthroscopy w/chrondroplasty
07'- " ",resulted in Femoral Nerve Damage (d/t tourniquet)
2/10/09-scope &open TTO
8/28/09-screws removed
12/23/09-LOA&cartilage biopsy for Carticel,dx'ed w/ Severe AF
4/12/10-Patella ACI
6/2/10-LOA
9/22/10-LOA
1/31/11-LOA
L knee pain worsening
:*-(

Offline CatiePaige0821

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:27:09 PM »
Hi Sarah,
It was good to hear from you! I'm glad that I have someone who is in a similiar situation. I'm a computer science: information technology major. I've been dealing okay with college and my knee. It doesn't interfere too much and I decided to have the ACL revision over Christmas break so I would have almost a full month to recooperate before I have to go back to college. I'm sorry that you had to leave college, especially since you were so close to being done. I don't know how that's like, but I do feel for you. I'll take any advice that you have for me, I'm open to everything and anything. I like to hear words of encouragement because it makes me feel like I'm not alone because sometimes my family just doesn't understand what I'm going through.

Catie
Surgery August 4th, 2004

ACL Laxity. ACL Revision

Arthroscopy

Offline bumkneeblonde

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Really want my life back :-(
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 04:33:54 AM »

Hi CatiePaige-
I sometimes feel as if I'm alone too because only people going through this know what it's like!  I tend to take my  all my pent up anger/frustration out on my family- not on purpose, it just happens. I always apologize but I feel sooo bad afterwards.  What's the date of your ACL revision? Going to be home for it, right?
glad you wrote back :)
-sarah
25y.o.
06'-R Knee arthroscopy w/chrondroplasty
07'- " ",resulted in Femoral Nerve Damage (d/t tourniquet)
2/10/09-scope &open TTO
8/28/09-screws removed
12/23/09-LOA&cartilage biopsy for Carticel,dx'ed w/ Severe AF
4/12/10-Patella ACI
6/2/10-LOA
9/22/10-LOA
1/31/11-LOA
L knee pain worsening
:*-(

Offline CatiePaige0821

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »
Hi Sarah!

I do the same thing! It makes me mad when they don't understand and then I end up flipping out or something, but just like you, I feel really badly afterwards and I always apologize. I just wish that they could understand, you know? My revision is next Thursday the 17th and yes I will be home for it. This week is finals for me and I am done tomorrow, so I get to relax for about a week until my surgery. I'm pretty nervous, but I can't really figure out why. Thank you for writing back!

Catie
Surgery August 4th, 2004

ACL Laxity. ACL Revision

Arthroscopy