Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Craigs ACL and OATS procedure  (Read 19766 times)

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
Craigs ACL and OATS procedure
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:11:19 PM »
Slightly early - but tomorrow 12/11/09 i will be going for a ACL reconstruction (hamstring) and also a OATS on my RT knee.

Currently taking it easy - so no leg lifts or piling the miles on the exercise bike, as the PT on Monday suggested dropping it all off 24 hours before hand to prevent any (more) swelling.

Crutches, Donjoy leg brace and PJ's all packed. Stack of microwave meals in the freezer and big pile of books and DVD's await my return on Saturday.

Wishing everyone currently having treatment a speedy recovery.
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

Offline Lizn8r

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
Re: Craigs ACL and OATS procedure
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:55:22 PM »
Good luck to you,Craig.  See ya on the "other side"!!
Sep '99: Tore left ACL (football) - misdiagnosed
Sep '99-Apr '09: Lived with pain and buckling
Apr '09: New PCP (who listened), MRI and OS consult - proper dx
May '09: LK ACL Allograft and 25% medial meniscus removal
Sep '09: Released from PT and OS ... back to things I haven't done in 10 years!

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 02:23:16 PM »
Looks like im gonna have to wait a little while....
Operation was cancelled, as the surgeon has had a family emergency back in India and is flying out tonight.
New operation is scheduled for 23/11/09. Guess it gives me more time to work on my leg strength and hamstrings!

And i thought private healthcare put you in charge ::)
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
ACL and OATS 11/2009

Offline Cloudy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
Good Luck Craig,
I too am having surgery on the 23rd of November, so we could re-hab chat together, even though they are different surgeries. I had a microfracture surgery which is along the lines of the OATS all though mine was less traumatic. My advise is to take your pain meds and LISTEN LISTEN to the OS. Don't push yourself to hard do too much. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Chris
1986-Pain Began Left Knee == PT & Crutches.
1992- Lft Knee Arthroscopy/Debrid.
11/2002- Lft Knee Torn Meniscus
11/2005- Lft Knee Lateral Release w/ Chondroplasty.
06/2009- Lft Knee Debrid.
07/2009- Lft Knee Microfracture.
11/23/2009- Lft Knee Total Replacement.

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »
Chris, thanks for the message.

Already had microfracture surgery! Was originally diagnosed with torn ACL, so went under the arthroscope to have ACL repair surgery, but the surgeon found i had a 75% torn ACL and cartlidge damage so he did MFX and debridement there and then as that was all the medical insurance would let him do without further authorisation.

This operation that should of been last week, but now the 23rd Nov, is to repair the ACL with hamstring transplant and also for the OATS.

TBH post op pain wasn't too bad - about 5/6 days post op i stopped taking any pain meds, but i have been working on leg strength (5 miles on exercise bike daily and leg raises etc) and i goto the physio twice a week and he puts me on the curapulse machine - which helps with the niggling pain.
Hope your surgery goes well (you don't mention in your post what surgery your having - might find out in a different thread!).
Craig
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
ACL and OATS 11/2009

Offline Cloudy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 11:55:17 AM »
Sorry didn't realize you already had the MicroFracture,
I am having Knee Replacement on my Left knee. I can't wait to be "pain" free but as it gets closer I am scared to death. My Micro was about 4 months ago but I fell on it about 3 wks out and it failed most likely do to the trauma of the fall. He thought I would be a canidate for the OATS but said no, now my original or 1st OS is doing the TKR as the "current" one is concerned I am too young. But my first one has no concerns or issues. I have been having pain all the time for all but 13yrs. I hope it goes away.
I might have missed it, but how did you mess your knee up to begin with? Sorry I am being selfish...
Chris

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 01:59:56 PM »
No worries Chris, about the MFX! and we're all entitled to be a little selfish now and again  ;)

I too am looking forward to being totally pain free - yesterday wasn't good, as i had to drive and after about 15mins in the seat, my knee started to swell and i had some degree of pain which has lasted through to today. Still managed to get to the park today and feed the ducks though with my little son (2 yrs old). :)

I would probably feel the same as you if i was to have a TKR of the knee - but i'm a kind of glass is half full kind of guy, so i'd be nervous and apprehensive, but the thought of being pain free (esp after 13 years) would be spuring me on and giving me courage.

As for the cause of my problems, well i'm not 100% sure.
Could be where i came off a quad bike a few years ago, could be too much weight on the leg press machine when i was a body concious teenager, could be too much football/rugby/squash, could be too much pressure on the knees whilst climbing telecommunications towers (old work job) but the ACL tear was down to chasing my eldest son whilst on holiday, who jinked left and as i tried to follow, my knee collapsed and consequently so did i.

I really am just looking forward to getting it done, getting home and finally being in charge of my life, instead of my knee ruling what i can and can't do.
Keep thinking positive and we can (both) get through this.

Craig

MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
ACL and OATS 11/2009

Offline Cloudy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:39:37 AM »
Good luck tomorrow Craig.
Keep us posted...
Chris

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
Thanks Chris.

Good luck to you too!

See you on the other side  ;)
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
ACL and OATS 11/2009

Offline Cloudy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 05:34:02 PM »
How you making out Craig? I know what you mean when the block wears off. Keep us posted. Wish you a speedy pain reduced recovery.
Chris

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
Quick update, as i really need to goto bed.
Got home at 16:00 yesterday. Taking Co-dydramol for the pain - but it's giving me terrible itching on my lower legs and feet. Also taking Diclofenac Sodium for the inflammation of the knee.

Saw the OS yesterday morning who advised that the OATS went well, but that he had to open my knee up to perform the operation itself. Operation started at 18:30 and i was back in the room at 22:30.
I was on oxygen, saline drip and also had a drain in my knee, when i came round.
Had femoral block, which wore off this morning at 07:30 - which was a major wake up call.
Going back to see the OS in 2 weeks when he will remove the dressing and sutures and i can get to see the scar tissue.

Slept ok last night at home, but having to sleep on my back due to the brace on my leg - no other practical way to sleep, so got terrible backache.
Using ice every 2 hours for about 20 mins which really helps.
Seeing the PT back at the hospital on Friday - but not expecting much, as the OS said that i have to be in this fixed leg position (non-weight bearing) for 2 weeks.

So im stuck to the couch, leg out on the table in front of me, relying on family to help out, which has been great so far.
Wishing everybody well whos out there either bracing themself for the next step or on the other side of treatment.
Will update when i can.
Craig
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
ACL and OATS 11/2009

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 08:39:34 AM »
I slept much better last night, didnt wake up with so much backache this morning which was a huge sigh of relief.
Knee still hurts even though the painkillers have kicked in, but its bearable (but the itching is very annoying!)
Didn't realise before the operation how difficult it would be to lift the entire leg (as it's now permanently straight) when your knee muscles/knee area is out of action. I have to use the hem of my trousers or one of the bands of the Don-Joy knee brace to hoist my leg up to put it on the stool or put it on the bed - wish i'd of realised this before the operation as i would of practised this before.
I'd also of practised getting up and down stairs more, as this morning i kind of slipped down the last 3 or 4.

I'm currently sitting on the couch, right leg out in front of me on the stool, with my knee almost pain free - which means it's going to be a good day.

All the best to the others out there. Craig
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
ACL and OATS 11/2009

Offline Cloudy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
Oh Craig I feel for you. I am wishing you a quick recovery. It is good to hear from you. The slepping thing is the worst. I am a stomache with the leg bent sleeper. Can't do that now. The only good thing is that The hospital beds move up and down, so for now I am ok. Wait till I go home and have to argue with 2 dogs that they can not sleep with mom. Good luck with PT on Friday.
Chris

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 12:32:35 PM »
Ok - Day 4 post operative.
Saw the Physio today - who as i thought didn't do anything of any substance.
We went through the Surgeons report - which was as expected - OATs and hamstring graft to replace the ACL. (Interesting anecdote - first arthroscopy the OS found the ACL wasn't 100% torn, by the operation on Monday the ACL was completely torn!)
Surgeons recommendations for Physio
a) 0 Degrees ROM for 2 weeks post operative
b) 0 weight bearing for 2 weeks post operative
c) weeks 2-3 upto 60 degrees ROM
d) weeks 3-4 upto 70 degrees ROM
e) weeks 4+ complete ROM.

Asked the Physio to check the area where i had the drain removed on Tuesday, as the dressing was very bloodsoaked and appeared to be covered in fresh blood. Physio requested a Nurse from the outpatients dept, but in the meantime the Physio removed the dressing. Nurses arrives and checks the 'drain area' and is happy to leave it undressed. Physio then points out a large swelling above the 'drain area' - who then advises that its a haematoma and the body will subsume this in time. But i will keep an eye on it  :-\

Had 2 pain killers this morning, with breakfast, but dont feel the need to take any more just yet; but i am taking it easy as per recommendations from the PT.

PT purely wants me to work on exercising the quads - so i guess thats what i'm doing between now and the 10th when i see the PT again.

Had an attempt at a shower last night, which was interesting, as obviously trying to shower whilst on one leg whilst keeping the other out of the water was hilarious for me and my wife. Something else i should of practised ahead of the operation!

All the best to the pre/post operatives out there.
Craig
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
ACL and OATS 11/2009

Offline Cloudy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »
Craig,
I am visualizing your shower experience. I remember that all too well. You should get a shower chair and use a detachable shower head. They really worked for me. When I took my shower which was once a week.
Really keep an eye on that heamatoma, they should have been more concerned with that, I would think.
It sounds as though your PT is gonna be long. Good job on the pain tolerance. I can tell when my meds are wearing off. My knee starts throbbing bad.
Good Luck.
Keep us posted.
Chris