Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee flexion  (Read 2259 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Knee flexion
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:58:15 PM »
I saw my pt yesterday and he measured my flexion at 125 degrees but is not as far as my other leg.

I was just wandering what is the average knee flexion of a perfectly healthy knee?

I understand that the knee is a 180 degree joint but due to the bulk of the thigh can never actually flex that far and could probably vary depending on the thickness of a person's legs.

So I'm just looking for a fairly general idea of how far a healthy knee should go.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Knee flexion
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
Hi there,

I may be a bit off on these, but...

110 flex will get most things done
120 is the goal after TKR
135 - 140 is considered about normal

There is a lot of variation in the final flexion folks have.  125 is not too bad, you can keep trying to get it closer to the other leg though.  Ask your PT about it.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:28:06 PM »
Here's a brief summary of my flexion measurings since my op.  It migth be useful if anyone wants to compare.

2 weeks: 88 degrees
3 weeks: 98
7 weeks 115
9 weeks 120
13 weeks 125

Havn't had my other leg's flexion measured but it is noticeably further than 125 so my goal is at least 135.  Also, I've had full extension at about 10 weeks.

p.s.. My op was a chrondoplasty of mfc, plica excism and a fragment of acl removed from the postereo lateral compartment that was causing catching.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
You might still be experiencing some internal swelling and that could inhibit rom, but 125 is pretty good.  I found that long slow stretches several times a day helped me.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »
I'm now nearly 18 weeks post op and can flex the operated knee the same as the good knee.  I'll be seeing my pt in a couple of weeks so I'll find out just how many degrees I've got now. Should be at least 135.

My target was to have full flexion in the right leg by xmas and I'm really pleased I've achieved that.  It certainly took long enough.

Offline still_active

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • No more blowouts please!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 02:56:30 PM »
KScope09, it's interesting to see your progress by the week because my own progress is on the same track as yours.  I'm short and have really thick calves, so my PT said that full extension for me is 130. Tall, thin people can have a much higher degree of flexion.  I'm now 10 weeks post op and at 120.  I was fortunate to have full extension shortly after surgery. 

My issue now is quad. atrophy--can do pretty much everything except walk down stairs.
June 1995 - L. knee buckled (martial arts)
July 2006 - L. knee buckled (throwing a ball)
August 2009 - L. knee buckled playing laser tag - complete ACL rupture, medial & lateral meniscus torn
September 23, 2009 - surgery:  ACL reconstruction (allograft) / meniscus repair

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 03:27:20 PM »
Mine was also a martial arts injury and I'm told I should be able to resume training in the new year.

i've found my increasing flexion to be quite steady but getting extension was much more difficult.  Even now both legs lokk to extension, but the right leg still feels like it needs to go a bit further.

Next time I see my pt I'll have both knees measured.

support