Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL surgery/reconstruction?  (Read 13658 times)

Offline LesleyR

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Things will only get better from here
MCL surgery/reconstruction?
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »
Hey folks,

It's been awhile since my last post around here, but I was hoping I could get some information.  I tore my MCL for the bazillionth time (well, not really, but 3rd time in the last year) and at this point the ligament is about as tight as a broken rubber band.  My OS brought up MCL surgery as a possible option.  I've been trying to research it on the internet, but I'm not finding much about benefits, complications, success rate etc. 

I should add that I'm a college rugby and ice hockey player, and I don't really know what I'd do if I couldn't keep playing. 

Has anyone had this surgery?? What should I expect??
20 Years old
10/6/05-Plica removal left knee
2/21/09 MCL grade II tear
Avid Rugby and Ice hockey Player

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: MCL surgery/reconstruction?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:17:38 PM »
Hi

Back in 2007 I fell down the stairs and snapped my MCL. To complicate matters it was on the leg with a TKR.. I spent 8 weeks in a bivalve cast in hopes to avoid surgery. He said if it was still very unstable then he would have to do a reconstruction using an allograft. At that time there was little info on the internet on this. I contacted my OS's director of clinical research. She sent me a copy of an article that she said was slightly different than my OSs but the only good article on it in the past 5 yrs. Here is a link to that article.

http://webmail.aol.com/28878/aol-1/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.26633168&folder=Saved%2fCSMOC&partId=4&saveAs=YoshiyaAJSM2005.pdf

When I had my surgery, the OS was able to place  thicker spacer and obtain good stability. If the thicker spacer had not helped then he was going to do the reconstruction.  There was enough scarring on the MCL to strengthen it. The one time where my ability to over produce scar tissue, helped out !

I hope this helps you out.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline NEVERSLEEP

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »
As you probably already know they very rarely operate on MCL'S but if you are unfortunate enough like myself you will need surgery. When i went into have my surgery they didnt realise how bad mine was until they done the stress test and they didnt really have much option. I was in a cast then a brace from 22nd June until 23rd August. I feel it has went well with really my only problem being lack of ROM but it is getting better all the time. If you need any other questions answered just ask
14-06-09 Fracture of left lateral tibial condyle, small avvision of tibial spine, grade 3 tear of mcl and acl and damage to lateral meniscus
22-06-09 Mcl repair, meniscus repair + 3 screws to repair Tpf
23-09-09 Brace off released to fwb
16-11-09 3 screws and 2 washers out
27-11-09 Infection

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 12:38:35 AM »
Yeah, the MCL has been the hardest for me to come back from.  Even after all this time it still gives me pains and discomfort, not bad just noticeable.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline inthecrease31

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
Hi,
I'm also an ice hockey goal with a torn MCL. I had a grade III tear in January, 2011, but decided against having surgery. Although it was supposed to take 6-8 months to heal, it never healed properly. I had commited to play Division I hockey, but was forced to renig. I am having MCL reconstruction on Dec. 24th, which is supposed to increase the amount of medial support to my knee and protect my miniscus from further damage. I was told to expect 2 weeks on crutches, but to be walking normally within 2 months. This will make life more comfortable for me, but unfortunately I will not be able to play competitive hockey for at least year. It sucks, but if you have the surgery you won't have as much pain once it heals correctly. Its a difficult thing to gage because this type of surgery isn't very popular. Let me know how your surgery goes!

-Kaitie

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
inthecrease31 - welcome to Knee Geeks, but whoopsie - do you realise you bumped a 3 year old thread?

If you want to talk about your injury and treatment and exchange views with others, it is way better to start your own thread. That way you actually get people to respond to you and not the original poster of the dead thread.

This is not quite old enough to be classed as Necro-bumping, but it is a bump!  ;)

There are a few people still on here who have undergone MCL reconstruction so if you start your own thread they can communicate directly with you about your operation.

I underwent an LCL reconstruction in 2008 and have not had any problems with it since. The knee was very unstable and painful before it was reconstructed. I had to wear a brace post-operatively and also had a functional brace prescribed when I returned to my sport (skiing). I had to promise to wear it for the two seasons after my recon, but it is so comfortable and comforting, I still wear it. Prevention is better than the cure any day!  ;D

Sue
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

support