Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 6 months post osteotomy still using both crutches  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
6 months post osteotomy still using both crutches
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:03:40 PM »
Hi All,

I am so frustrated and worried.  I had a tibia rotational osteotomy and a medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction 6 months ago.  It was a disaster from the beginning.  After 3 days, I developed paralytic ileus, where basically your intestines don't "turn back on" after anesthesia.  I had nothing to drink, including water and no food for 8 days.  I was in the hospital for 11 days.  I flew up for a post op visit at 8 weeks, and some healing had begun, so I started PT at 10 weeks.  She was very aggressive, took away one crutch and demand that I walk, had me on Pilates equipment.  After 4 days of agony, got an Xray.  My OS said that it showed no signs of healing.  The bones had refractured.

I live in Atlanta, but my surgeon, probably one of the finest in the country, also specializes in lower limb malalignment, is in Detroit.  After doing some research, begged and received a bone stimulator, which I've been using for 9 weeks.  I started PT with woman from previous 2 surgeries.

At last post op visit, I had 70 % healing.  I have a pop in my knee that wasn't there.  My VMO and quads have been atrophied since the last surgery in 2003.  Pain had prevented me from getting them back.  I am now able to do quad sets and 15 SLR twice a day, among other exercises.  Progress has been slow but steady. She usues "dry needling" for pain, and it has been fabulous!  It has allowed me to do VMO and Quad work.

I had not driven for 6 months, but last week had had enough.  I drove each day, using both feet, but used right foot to slam on the brakes several times.  I awoke with pain each night, but took nothing extra.  I am so sick of having no independence.

I am beginning to fear that I will never walk again!  Today in church, I started crying and couldn't stop.  We ended up leaving early.  My friends are well meaning, but talk about amputations, or ask why I'm still on crutches.

I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M STILL ON TWO CRUTCHES!!!!!

I can use one crutch around the kitchen and bath.  I can walk 40 steps with one, and then it buckles.  The rest of the day it feels jammed.

The two people who could help me the most, my mother and brother, are deceased.  Other family members don't want to hear me whine.  My husband has been a doll, but even he has reached the end of his rope.  He travels, so I am alone a good bit.  After 6 months, you find out who your true friends are.  I have some dear, helpful friends on KG.  I just thought that I would throw it out for others.

We fly to MI to see my OS this Tuesday.  I'm afraid he will recommend more surgery.  He is very understanding, and feels terrible that I've had such a hard time.  He told me that one of his osteotomies took a year to heal.

I just don't know what else to do.  I am eating well, get Vitamin D via sun and supplement, tons of calcium, do PT religously every day.  Today, I feel like giving up, and that really scares me.  I have kept a positive attitude, because to do otherwise is to go down a dead end.  I am a young 50, but haven't gone through menopause (sorry about TMI), so I have estrogen still on board to help w/bones.  I have actually put on weight, which is a good thing for me.

I am on an antidepressant which is working, but still cry frequently, mostly out of frustration and fear.  I feel like I am alone on this journey.  I just don't know what else to do.  I'm totally over reading daily meditations, self-help books, etc.

Any encouragement would be very appreciated.

Warm Regards,
Alyce
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline ArielF

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: 6 months post osteotomy still using both crutches
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »
Hey Aree!

My first thought waking up this morning was you.  I know how much expectation and hope that I put into every ortho appointment I can only imagine that you do the same.  It is a big day. 

I am crossing my fingers and hoping for great news and solutions for your pain and mobility issues.  It is not fair.

Happy healing thoughts
Hugs Ariel

Offline jess8181

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »
Alyce your post brought tears to my eyes, though we have had very different surgeries.......the way you describe your feelings are exactly how I feel and I've been going through this for a year. I hope that you recieve good news.

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »
Thanks Ariel and jess8181 for your support.

The bone is healed!  I can't walk because the muscles are so atrophied.  The quads and VMO need lots of work.  I have regrouped and need to get fired up to do this.

I have walked some without crutches.  It is awkward, and later feels like a jammed finger.  In his office, I had sharp pain at the osteotomy.

He was very encouraging, but concerned.  I think he takes it personally.

I need to run to get ready for PT.

Aree
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:57:59 PM »
Aree.... he does take it personally. I've noticed it as well.  I'm so glad to hear that the bone is healed. A few steps each day is better than none!  Don't give up yet.  We still have lots of faith in you on here, through the good and the not so good.

xoxoxoxo
Paige
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »
Hi Paige,

It's great to hear from you.  He said that he was waiting for the day when I told him that I was worse off than before the surgery.  I told him very strongly that I would never say that.  I can't even let my mind go there, because it's a dead end.  I made the decision, had the surgery, and will make the best of it.  It's too early to say how it will turn out.

He spent 2 hours with me.  He's such a doll.  I'll NEVER find another physician like him... such empathy.

Are you getting nervous?  You young chicks bounce right back.  Wish we could have been there to visit you, although I think the nurses hate me because I was not very compliant!!

Hugs,
Aree
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »
Hi Alyce, I'm so glad your osteotomy is finally healed and wish you all the best with overcoming this last hurdle of muscle strength. Like Paige said, a little at a time, but hooray for the healed bone!

It's great to hear that you are still positive. Think about what you said to Dr. T, about it not being a failure yet. That is your inspiration right there! You felt like giving up a few days ago, but now you have some news to propel you forward.

I wish you the best and I know with time you will gain your muscle strength and your pain will subside.

Best wishes,
Latise - fellow twisted sister (although now I'm only half twisted)
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:01:38 AM »
Aree!!! I was getting nervous but I talked to Dr. T the other day on the phone and I feel a whole lot better about it. Its been 8 months since the other surgery. I can't believe its been that long. I was really unsure of how the leg I had surgery on was going to deal with using it so much. He said he wasn't worried about it at all. I can't believe its only 2 weeks away. 

I don't think any of us will ever find such a caring person, much less another doctor that could compare.

We'll get to meet up one of these days who knows when but we will, we have to!

xoxo
Paige

PS... We all laugh on facebook that the doctors can untwist our bones but they can't ever fully untwist us. Haha.
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 02:53:07 PM »
You make me laugh Paige!!!

You are in good hands, but I understand the nerves.  I'm sure everything will go great, and you'll be better for the rest of your life.  I wrote it on my calendar so that I can send you healing thoughts.

Twisted Sisters Unite!!!!

Hugs,
Aree
xoxo
LPFL rebuild May 2009

support