Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: High Tibial Osteotomy  (Read 3421 times)

Offline CWillie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
High Tibial Osteotomy
« on: September 30, 2002, 07:11:53 PM »
Hello,
I am new to this so please bear with me. I am contemplating having a High Tibial Osteotomy due an old injury which required the removal of most of my meniscus. I am 44, in good shape and play tennis 3 to 4 times per week. I am concerned about my activity level after I recover. Will it be the same, more or less? Is there any concern about the screws staying in place over time? Should I be in physical therapy prior to the procedure? Are there any recovery do's or don't's? Any thoughts and information are welcome.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: High Tibial Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2002, 09:01:34 PM »
One quick question:

If you can play tennis 3-4 times per week, why are you having this procedure done?

Just curious.  I'm facing a similar procedure and the only reason I'm even considering is that I am unable to do anything so simple as walk or turn over in bed without pain.

Are you trying to prevent further damage to your knee?

Heather
« Last Edit: September 30, 2002, 09:01:55 PM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline CWillie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2002, 10:59:44 PM »
Good question. I experience some moderate pain from time to time, but the main reason, as I understand it, is to realign my knee joint due to the lack of meniscus. This procedure is preventative in nature, in that it should extend the time before, or eliminate a future knee replacement.  

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 02:00:59 AM »
If you can still play tennis then you should probably wait to have the procedure done. I am also 44 and have had all of my meniscus removed. My doctor told me to wait until I couldn't stand the pain anymore before I had it done. He said it should buy me 10 years before I need a total knee replacement. It's a heavy duty operation and he said I'd be 3-4 months recovering fully. He did say I would be able to do pretty much anything I want after surgery. Right now I mostly bike and swim so it shouldn't be too bad. I do have to walk a lot at work so that will be hard.

Offline asr2001

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 01:58:31 AM »
I have already have had the left knee done lat jan of 02 and now i am havin the other done next week  tennis will be out of the questuion for awhile as well as trying to do the simplest daily task  be ready for a long haul  i have to run but u can e mail me anytime and ill tell ya all   there is alot to know beforehand

Good luck

Adam ::)
A. S. R..

Offline CWillie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2002, 03:56:06 PM »
Thanks for the info. I am getting a second opinion next week. If it is determined that this is the way to go, I will email you for additional info.