Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: microfracture recovery  (Read 4097 times)

Offline dread83

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
microfracture recovery
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:27:37 AM »
hi there wondered if anyone could help me... i had microfracture surgery nearly two weeks ago now... the first week went ok i was able to do the exercises i was instructed to do, however this past week my knee has become pretty swollen and my range of motion is alot worse than the previous week, making it to painful to carry out my exercises properly..... iits really tender down the left side of my quad and left side of my knee...... should i be worried????????????

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: microfracture recovery
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »
This happened to me in the second week after my chrondoplasty.  I rung the hospital and saw my OS who sent me straight to physio and they used ultrasound and an electic sub thermal pulse to accellerate healing and get the swelling down.  After that I put on ice about 7 times a day and it got a lot better.

Right now I'm 12 weeks post op and I seem to get a little better and then a bit worse and then better again.  (two steps forward and one step back)  My OS is a bit worried about it because I'm still not recovering nearly fast enough.  I am quite sure now that the chrondoplasty has failed.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 03:52:10 AM »
I had a microfracture done on August 7 of this year, give your knee a long time to recover. The sides of quad and leg hurt for around 3 weeks before it started to feel better, the quad usually hurts because the doctors usually apply some sort of tourniquet to your upper thigh to prevent excessive bleeding during the surgery, not to mention that your doctor may have been leaning on your leg the entire surgery if he had to get at your knee at a a certain angle.

As for swelling, I am now 12 weeks post op and my knee still has swelling, just keep icing it, elevating it, and keep it moving. My doctor told me that the swelling can last as long as up to 4 months, some people just swell more than others. As for it swelling up more during your second week, that may be a sign that you pushed it to hard during the first week. Take it slowly and use your knee as a guide, if it hurts to do an exercise, don't do it. Are you seeing a physical therapist?

Overall, the main thing with this surgery is to take it slow. Don't start weight bearing until you get the OK from your doctor, I went 8 weeks of non-weight bearing and didn't completely ditch the crutches until 1 week ago (11 weeks post op). My knee is still swollen and still aches after a long day of school, I am not allowed to run, jump, or twist my knee until January. It tookl me about 7 weeks to get my ROM back, so give it time...just stick to your exercises but don't overdo it.

Make sure you stay positive and stick with the rehab, don't think of your improvement as a day to day thing, look at the overall picture....for instance if I look at myself now and then look at myself a few days ago, I don't notice a difference. But if I think back to when I was NWBing and my knee hurt to touch, now I'm walking around and am able to go up and down stairs. Even if I think back to before my surgery, I used to not be able to bend my knee without a large pop or stand more than 30 minutes without my knee starting to hurt, now I can bend my knee pain-free and stand without pain.  Just make sure you stay positive, at times it may seem as though the whole thing isn't worth it, but it will heal, just give it time.

Hopes this helps you with your worries... ;D
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline dread83

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »
thanks guys..... you have given me a good insight, much appreciated....

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »
I am also due for Microfracture surgery. Although my OS focussed more on my ACL and just passed MF surgery very quickly, so I am quite worried about all these stories of people taking months to even walk.

Derek, what did your OS say with regards to how long the MF should last? Will the new stuff be expected to last a ong time? Did they OK you for sports once recovered?

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:28:16 PM »
My OS told me that the micro fracture should last around 10 years, he told me that it should last that long since I am younger than most patients who have the surgery performed (I'm 17). He did say that I would be able to return to sports after the recovery but did warn me that running and other high impact sports would probably prevent the microfracture from lasting 10 years. So I've already decided that I am just going to stick with low impact exercise such as biking and swimming. My goal is to not need another surgery until I'm 30.

I am pretty sure that if I take care of my knee I can make it last a while, and in another 10 years who knows what types of surgeries they may have to fix cartilage defects? I am actually going into biomedical engineering next year when I go to college so that I can study tissue engineering which are the people who grow the cells for the ACI surgeries, hopefully something good will come out of it.
-Left knee history-

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »
How will you know when its time to do somehtign in 10 years? will you get pain etc?

My OS did say football return is possible but I am not feeling it.

I am 25 so young as well. I just wonder if i should count myself lucky and now avoid any sport - at least til a proper way of fixing cartilage is found

I have read soem stuff of stem cell research but nothing seems done and dusted yet ad its risky to ocntinue playing sport expecting a fix within 5-10 years wouldnt you say?

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 08:22:44 PM »
Where abouts in the knee did you guys have your mfx?

My chrondoplasty was on the mfc, which I gather is usually succesful though possibly not in my case.  When I first saw my OS he said he might have to do mfx, so it was quite a relief that I only needed a chrondoplasty as the tear would have been smaller.  I suppose there is still the possibility that it was worked but my recovery is so slow.

Question for Derek!

How did you know when you were able to do stairs properly?
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »
My microfracture was performed on my medial femoral condoyle, it was performed on an area of about 2cm x 2.5cm.

I knew I was able to use stairs properly after practicing at therapy. My therapist has me practicing stepping onto steps and down from steps. After practicing that, I just forced myself to bend my knee when walking up and down stairs. Now it just comes normally to me when I'm using the stairs.
-Left knee history-

Offline TJW909

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
I am glad to read some info on this subject. I am at 10 weeks post op I can walk not well and I still have swelling. The OS freaked me out about the swelling because he did not really want to see this and the F word came up that the porcess could be failing not want I need to hear. He did go on to say that it does sometimes last up to 4 months. Now I was told I can't hurt my knee just walking but I am still using the crutches now due to not wanting to do to much.  After the 6 week mark I had 3 weeks of PT and now just exercise I do at home now and still am icing the knee. I get chekced at the 3 month mark and then at the 4 month mark it is off to PT for weight training work for the knee. I just don't want to waste 4 months of sitting to have him say the MF did not wrok. Sorry for the rant I have just never had to sit before in my life and this is getting rough.  Here is some more info on my other post  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=49338.0

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 07:49:30 PM »
what are the alternatives after MF?

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 12:34:47 AM »
after a failed microfracture or a worn out microfracture, you pretty much have the options of ACI or OATS, or if your old enough and have enough damage your surgeon may want to perform a partial knee replacement or total knee replacement.

When my doctor performed my microfracture, he sent the removed cartilage piece to the labs so that cartilage cells could be grown, if the microfracture fails I already have cells harvested for the ACI surgery. Hopefully I don't need them.
-Left knee history-

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »
i've been practicing steps with my pt, I'm not quite there yet but i've got some nex exercises to help.

I was also really please that I've got a flexion of 125.

It was the first time I saw my pt since the 12 week mark and though my progress has been very week on week off, it finally feels like I'm getting somewhere.

Offline TJW909

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »
How is everyone healing up? I am at 13 weeks today and things are finally getting better. I did have a MRI last week the doc was worried about the amout of swelling I had and there was a chance it had fialied but all is good. The Doc said it is filling in very well he was concerned due to me being at the tail end of the window for good results 42. I am back at the gym waist up all seated work and using the hand bike for some cardio it's boring. At the end of the month back to see the Doc. and hope to start PT in Dec for weight training and getting the strength back.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 07:16:13 PM »
16 weeks on monday.  I'm walking mithout a limp or a stick.  I can walk reasonably fast but still can't take big strides, but this is getting better every few days.

I found what really helped was working on my calf muscles , which has made a difference.

My knee also looks like it did before the op except for the scars of course.  Still icing to get the last bits of swelling out.  BTW it wasn't swollen before the op in spite of what as wrong with it.

I'm still waiting for my mri to find out if the chrondoplasty worked but I'm sure it must have or i wouldn't be able to get aroudn so well now.

support