Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella dislocation advice wanted  (Read 864 times)

Offline jonsd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella dislocation advice wanted
« on: October 27, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this site, so I will try to explain my situation in depth.

Iíve recently dislocated my patella for the second time. Both times it happened I have been doing Ju-Jitsu, essentially I kept my foot planted and turned whilst trying to throw someone. The first time it happened in Dec 08, it fully dislocated to the outside of my leg, and it was out for a good couple of hours, before a nurse put it back in. I was put in plaster for a week, then started physio, which went well. I managed to train again for 6 months before it happened for the second time. This time it only came partially out then went back in, it felt very sore afterwards but I could just about walk. I was taken to hospital, where they x-rayed my knee and told me everything was ok and gave me a removable splint to wear. After a couple of days I took it off and apart for a bit of soreness I can walk and do everything I need to with my knee.

I donít want this to happen again and I have an appointment at my hospitals Fracture Clinic next week, to get the best out of my treatment what kind of questions should I be asking.

Any advice on recovery would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jon
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:56:12 PM by jonsd »

Offline loobedy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patella dislocation advice
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:27:06 PM »
You sound like you have had a fab recovery! I am still struggling nearly nine weeks on!
The main thing is to tighten the vmo so I'm told. Are you having physio?
Not sure what you should be asking really!
No help, but you're not the only one suffering. good luck!
Loo

Offline jonsd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patella dislocation advice
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:55:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I think it's the fact that I seem to have had a quick recovery that worries me. Shouldn't it be hurting more? I've no stared physio just yet.

Jon

Offline loobedy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patella dislocation advice wanted
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:14 AM »
I reckon it's the torn muscles that have stuffed me this time. When I did it before aged 16 I had very little problem with it. It was healed within a week or so.
This time though it was quite obvious the muscles had torn, (really swollen, hot and bruised) and I'm sure that's why it is taking so long. Since my first reply I have been booked in for scan to check my ligaments.....

Offline missmarie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patella dislocation advice wanted
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:54:17 AM »
I also have had this happen several times and have been back on my feet within weeks once the swelling has gone down, once it was only a few days. More recently  I dislocated it I have been now 5 months and I'm still unable to put any weight on my knee it just gives way. Have been begging to get scans and so on but I just keep getting passed about.

I have asked in the past how to stop it happening and the only solution I was given is to do even more excercise to make my muscles strong enough to stop it dislocating again, needless to say that' didn't work! so fingers crossed that this is the last time it happens to you!!

support