Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Breg's new PTO  (Read 3052 times)

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Breg's new PTO
« on: September 16, 2003, 02:38:38 AM »
 :)Hi,
Has anyone noticed that the  PTO brace is different than the previous model? Has anyone here  tried both and been able to compare them? I really liked the older one, and am sorry to see the changes!
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Breg's new PTO
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 03:33:32 AM »
Cat-

I noticed all the changes, some I like, some I dont! I like that youcan take the celcro off so that you can adjust the straps that put the pull on your kneecap... they had always been too long in the past so that has really helpped me! I like the puller upper straps (haha nice medical term there!) although Im sure they would botehr me if I ever wore shorts or things that wouldnt cover them! Hmm I also like that the "butress" thing that pushes on your kneecap is at the edge and there is extra reinforcement around the kneecap hole, it seems like it helps the tracking more. I dont really like the added padding under the kneecap hole though.... it seems to make my leg swell more... the noew one jsut seems like it isnt as relaxed as the old one got so it isnt as comfortable... I actually ended up snipping the bottom elastic so it wouldnt make my leg swell as much, If anyone else tries that, make SURE you dont snip the stitching... I almost did and imagine that would be a bad thing! Also, the velcro is different, and not as sticky which is annoying because it comes undone. Grr! I still love my PTO though (wow loving a brace, what is the world comming to!?!?!). I think Ill ask my PT what I can do about the velcro because I really dont like the less sticky variety... sounds like Im talking about somethign scientific! They put new velcro on my old one, so Im sure if I asked I could get my new one re-velcroed too!

Wow, NEVER knew I could ramble on so much about a knee brace! I think Ill stop right.... HERE!

Emily

Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline tweinmaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 02:46:03 AM »
Hi,
I dislocated my knee about 2 weeks ago.  
I got a second opinion on Monday and the doctor put me in a breg PTO and started me in PT 2x/week.  
The PTO isn't very comfortable for me -- pressure on the inside/side of my knee.  And I get a deep crease around my knee cap - especially on the outside edge near the support.  Did you have these problems to start with or is this unusuall?  I'm also having some problems with my foot falling asleep when I have the brace bent.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  

Offline tweinmaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 03:15:55 AM »
Thanks for the response.

The brace is mesh - the rep actually came out to look at it for me today and says it's definately the right size.  He was even puzzled by the crease on the knee - thinks it may be due to the swelling?

Offline angelz4taz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • whenever I feel blue.... I start breathing again!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 08:57:29 AM »
Hi all!

Wow, I have been wearing the original Breg PTO for almost a year now and have been thinking I should get in to see my Ortho for a new one as it has become too loose and isn't doing the job any longer.

I'm glad to know there is a newer model available and also what to be looking for as the possible problems.

I wear the mesh brace and the first day I got mine I was sure it was going to be unbearable because it was leaving red creases and felt too tight. I called the rep. that had come to fit me for it and she said to try it for 24 hours and see how it felt.

Needless to say I got used to it! I figure I can put up with almost anything to avoid surgery #4 as long as possible!

Nice to meet you all
3 L/K surgeries: lateral release, chondromalacia patella, torn meniscus, meniscal cyst, PFS.
1 R/K surgery: Lateral Release,chondromalacia patella

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 12:36:14 AM »
I like the new Breg PTO's I wear the Neoprene ones as the air mesh ones just kept getting stretched out of shape on me.  I had them replaced twice.  I decided to do the neoprene. I really like it, the warmth is compfort on those really ouchy days.  I like the pull straps and the adjustable velcros..wish they did that on all the straps as the one on the front of my thigh is always too long, and I have to tailor it myself.
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline rob123xyz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 06:03:36 AM »
I didn't see anyone mention whether they preferred the open-backed to the closed back version. I am assuming that the closed back version is a little less comfortable but holds the patella retainer in tighter. Since I will use mine for sports, I assume I will be fitted for the neoprene one by my orthopedist when I see him in two weeks.

Just had my second lateral patellar dislocation with medial retinaculum strain one month ago. First time was three years ago. I still hope to continue with sports, but if I have a third dsilocation and have to decide on surgery in order to remain athletically active, I will have to think carefully about things. The OS mentioned LR, but hopes we can avoid surgery via weight training and the PTO.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 06:28:00 PM by rob123xyz »
recurring patellar dislocations (2)

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 06:14:15 AM »
I have the open back. I really like it as it doesn't pinch the back of my knee.
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline angelz4taz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • whenever I feel blue.... I start breathing again!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 08:47:21 AM »
I did go and get a new PTO, stayed with the air mesh.

I also much prefer the open back at the knee as it doesn't bunch up.

I also saw someone mention that the strap on the front of the thigh stretches out on them too. I have that same problem, but I like the new design that allows you to cut the knee straps to fit. That was a big part of the problem with my first one.

Has anyone else had a problem with the strap on the top of the the calf up at the back being too short?? I can close it, but it is much shorter than any of the other ones.

One interesting note: When I had my new brace appointment with the BREG rep; she told me that they had numerous complaints from patients as well as PT's about the PTO stretching out in the area of the buttress much faster than it should. The small loop that actually holds the plastic piece at the knee stretches out and makes the butress pad ineffective, so if you have problems with your brace be sure to let them know!!

They are guaranteed for 6 months, but she got mine replaced after 10 months because it has been such a problem from so many people. BREG really seems to be interested in what the consumer and medical community is finding to be a problem with their product. I was impressed. :)

Angelz
3 L/K surgeries: lateral release, chondromalacia patella, torn meniscus, meniscal cyst, PFS.
1 R/K surgery: Lateral Release,chondromalacia patella

Offline CBecccaboo2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 03:43:14 PM »
I just got my first Breg PTO 2 days ago.  It is so much better than the previous brace that I had.  I think I have the "origional" brace, but I love it anyway.  On question, does anyone notice swelling in your lower leg by the end of the day?  New to this type of thing. Switched doctor and he dx me and now I am in this brace and knee feels so much better. Maybe I can avoid LR.  Love Breg PTO.

Becca