Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Had Surgery for Osgood Schlatter  (Read 14361 times)

Offline nyknba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Had Surgery for Osgood Schlatter
« on: October 25, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »
I am a 24 male who has been dealing with a painful bump below my left knee since i was 12. I was always told just ice and rest but a doctor recently recommended surgery. I went through with the surgery to remove the bump. 6 weeks after the surgery i am able to walk without much pain but the bump is bigger than ever, hurts to touch or bend, and I am really frustrated. I have been icing it and trying not to use it as much as possible but its worse after the surgery than it ever was before. 

Has anyone else gone through surgery and experienced this? Do I need to give it more time? I am just really nervous I wont be able to play sports at the same level as I did before the surgery.  Any insight would be helpful.  Thanks
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:21:56 PM by nyknba »

Offline twbishop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Had Surgery for Osgood Schlatter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:48:39 AM »
i have read other accounts that say that the bump does not go away after surgery.

what does your doctor say?  can he image the knee to see what is still causing the bump and pain?  is there still or another ossicle?

Offline nyknba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Had Surgery for Osgood Schlatter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:55:22 PM »
I had an MRI after and compared to the MRI before the surgery it is showing that the bone fragment has been removed. There is swelling and internal bleeding.  I went to see a new Dr today who said it will take 9-12 months to heal fully. The first doctor said it would take a total of 3 months which will be up in 2 weeks.

Just wanting to see if anyone else has experienced this, had the surgery and what their recovery time was.

support