Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: possible meniscus tear and mri  (Read 1173 times)

Offline dennisg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
possible meniscus tear and mri
« on: October 27, 2009, 12:55:21 PM »
I've had knee pain for six months, cannot fully flex my left knee, and have been advised by my os prior to an mri that he has a 95% confidence that I have a meniscus tear.  The mri has now revealed the following:  "There is a an abnormal signal in the posterior horn in the medial meniscus and there is a linear higher intensity focus just beneath the inferior margin of the posterior horn without demonstration of communication to a free edge."  Does anyone know what this means?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:09:01 PM by dennisg »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 111
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: possible meniscus tear and mri
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »
Hi
The posterior horn is the bit of the meniscus at the back, and a high signal indicates that it seems as if there is a problem there. The fact that it is linear suggests a tear, as opposed to something llike meniscal degeneration. The inferior margin means that this signal is on the undersurface of the posterior horn. The lack of demonstration of communication to a free edge suggests that it is not a radial tear, ie one that cuts through to the free edge of the meniscus.
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 111
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
--
KNEEguru

Offline dennisg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 03:14:17 PM »
If the tear doesn't seem to be a radial tear, would it have to be a peripheral tear?  Would it tear only between the edges?