Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Still struggling 8 weeks after patella dislocation  (Read 1336 times)

Offline loobedy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Still struggling 8 weeks after patella dislocation
« on: October 24, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »
I wonder if anyone can shed any light for me. I dislocated my patella 8 weeks ago today by simply twisting on a high heel. (I had done it before twisting but it was 12 years ago.)
I had it in cast for several weeks and then a strong support. I saw the consultant after nearly 6 weeks (the registrar up to that point) who said right it should be healed enough now to get those muscles working so 4 weeks of physio should see you right.
So now I'm a good two and a half weeks in to my physio and my thigh muscles are strenghthening but I am still having really intense pain with one particular movement. If you sit on a chair with legs bent but feet off the floor and then try to lift your foot up to straighten your leg it hurts so much I have to stop after a second or two. I can't fully straighten it doing this, no where near. Though I can straighten the knee easily while standing or lying down for example.
The place of the pain on doing this is under my kneecap, below it and just round the inner side. It burns and burns until I scream if I try and do it.
SO I'm getting a bit worried about why this is still hurting so much when generally every other part of the knee seems to be starting to heal and although weak isn't too painful.

Does anyone have any ideas? The physio said if it doesn't start to improve we should ultrasound it. should I push for this? I have been off work all this time and have two  small children so life really is a struggle.
Until I did this I was exercising 3 times a week and now I feel sluggish and horrible and desperate to get back to it. Am I just being impatient? Shold there really be this much pain still?

Thanks
Loo

Offline mrsmojo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Still struggling 8 weeks after patella dislocation
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »
Hey Loo,

I thought I'd reply because I'm 16 weeks post dislocation and awaiting reconstruction of both MCL and ACL. I just noticed your comment about lifting the knee and it causing so much pain - I had the same problem and had to have certain exercises with the physio to work my way through it. Have you had an MRI?? It just sounds to me as though you have some ACL damage (not a qualified observation obviously!!). I was told to work through it by putting a football under my knee - so my knee was crooked over it, and then to work through the pain by lifting it up until straight  - it was very painful but I did work through it and it now has full range of movement - also due to exstensive physio and determination on my part!!! (But you do need a lot of ice and elevation afterwards to soothe it).

I hope that helps - best of luck and I hope you continue to make a full recovery, cheers, Lisa x

Offline loobedy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:48:55 AM »
Gosh you're kidding, work through the pain? It really really hurts! Oh well if needs must. I'll do anything to get going again. Haven't had an mri only the xray done initially.
So if you are awaiting reconstruction are you able to work? I have a very physical job in the health industry and at present can't work. (for my own sake and also because it would put my patients massively at risk)
I'm a bit worried that I'm going to have to be off work for ages longer just aiting for something to happen. Maybe I am being pessimistic and it'll start to heal.
I have been doing my physio religiously, except the ecxercise you describe as it is so painful that everytime I do it I think that can't possibly be doing any good. It feels so damaging!
do you think I should push for mri?

Offline mrsmojo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »
Hi Loo,

Re: your job sounds similar to mine!! I'm a practice nurse and like you I'm on my feet all day, that said I've only just started back - last week to be precise - and I've only been doing bloods because I can stay in one place to do that!! I can't rush around and have a limp so I'm wishing my time away waiting for the reconstruction. I'd definately push for an MRI because it's so much more accurate in diagnosing the damage you may/may not have done. I had initial x rays on my knee at the time of injury but this was only to rule out a fracture.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress,
Lisa x

Offline loobedy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:45:53 PM »
I'm a midwife in the hospital so I can't really go back on any type of light duties. I'm either there or I'm not. My sick note runs out in a week and I was really hoping to be back but now I just don't know. I'm ok walking around and stuff but I am limping. Eight hours my feet would definitely be a struggle. but squatting, kneeling lifting etc in order to deliver a baby is just a no go area at the moment. can't even bath the kids let alone haul a 15 stone screaming woman around!

I have dosed myself up heavily with painkillers this afternoon to have a bash at the exercises again and see how I get on. Phsyio appointment again tomorrow so I'll update you. I think I am going to push him for some type of scan though, surely it should be a perk of working for the nhs if nothing else!
Loo