Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Total Knee Replacement. Any Good?  (Read 932 times)

Offline RichW

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Total Knee Replacement. Any Good?
« on: October 24, 2009, 10:22:51 AM »
I have been told that I will probably need a total knee replacement but at 48 years old was wondering will it be any use to me?
Before my motorscooter accident, which badly damaged my left knee, I was physically active. Will this be the case if I have my knee replaced?

Richard

Offline BubbasMom

• Regular Poster
Re: Total Knee Replacement. Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
Hi Richard,

I am 42 and had my TKR Sept. 22nd.   I am getting around better than I have in a year and a half.   There are some threads in the TKR section....Mine is here

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48898.0

I can't wait until next spring when I can get back in the dog agility ring with my going stir crazy Bubba.  He will be a little psycho at first I'm sure, but at least I can still do it, I had to take the last year off due to bone on bone in the knee.

I know some people wait to do a TKR but the pain I was in was not something I would deal with on a long term basis.  I jumped in with both feet.....had a marvelous surgeon and a wonderful sports medicine surgeon acting as my "Guardian Surgeon" and I am so thankful to them both.   I am preparing to take my life back!!!

I wish you well!

Diane
10/08
R Partial medial menisectomy
Debridement
Loose body removal
03/09
Osteophyte removal
06/09
Hyalgan injections
09/22/09
Right TKR

SMILE.....it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Offline RichW

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »
Hi Diane

Thanks for your reply. I will be interest to see how you get on with the new knee. I fractured my tibia in February 2009 and because of ongoing problems, had a scope on 21 September which showed a ruptured ACL, most of my lateral meniscus has gone and the tibial articular cartilage is damaged. My surgeon does not want to do the ACL reconstruction because of all the damage so I will be left with an unstable knee. I will need a TKR but my surgeon said he would rather wait until it becomes too painful to live with.
This could be several years away but in the meantime I am left with a knee that does not work correctly.

So my question is keep existing knee and wait or insist on a TKR?

Richard

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 04:32:20 PM »
you keep your existing knee as long as you possibly can - you are young and the times they can revise it is limited. Trust me you will know when you are ready for it. As for the acl - you need to keep up physio exercises to keep the knee stable - if you havent seen a physio then it is well worth going ! the acl is not essential unless you are playing rugby/football/tenns etc.

I have a tkr and it is great but I did wait until it couldnt be left any longer.
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline BubbasMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:37:14 AM »
Rich,

What it really comes down to is your quality of life.  I went from a full time retail management job and doing agility with Bubba twice a week to doing pretty much nothing.  I decided to go back to college but the profession I am going into is also one where mobility is very necessary.  I volunteered at a vet's office to do my required time and there was no way I could do that full time with the way my knee was.  The kicker was the day I had done a dental on Bubba and I was on the floor with him waiting for him to wake up so I could take the Et tube out.....I started to wonder how I was going to get the heck up......then I almost dropped him when I did get up...holy crap....not good.   When you no longer can function or do what is really important to you because your knee hurts so freakin bad.....then it is time for a TKR.
My surgeon asked me point blank if the worst thing in my life at that time was my knee....I said yes!  we scheduled the sx that day.
Even though my recovery has not been as bad as I imagined it to be it is still something I only did because I had no other options.

Good luck to you
Diane
10/08
R Partial medial menisectomy
Debridement
Loose body removal
03/09
Osteophyte removal
06/09
Hyalgan injections
09/22/09
Right TKR

SMILE.....it makes people wonder what you are up to.

support