Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery or live with knee?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Skid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Surgery or live with knee?
« on: September 30, 2002, 08:05:33 AM »
I seek comments about proposed arthroscopic surgery for a torn lateral meniscus. What sort of criteria would those with experience recommend about living with the condition versus having surgery?
I am 55 years old with no prior knee surgery. I can walk normally without pain most days if I am careful to avoid particular movements. I have to restrict activities, such as bike riding. Activities have to be moderate and kept below a threshold which triggers pain and days of soreness.
The surgeon indicates that I can be fixed, but I have read posts here that make me wonder about the possible bad outcomes.

Offline Lynne

• Regular Poster
  • If I were superwoman I wouldn't kneed knees!
Re: Surgery or live with knee?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2002, 09:46:27 AM »
I am not exactly sure what living with a meniscus tear would do to your knee.  However, speak with your OS and tell him that you have heard the horror stories and don't want to be one of them.  I would suggest that if you can live without biking and doing the specific movements that hurt then live with it.  

I have a misalignment of the kneecap and can not walk without pain so I have opted for a second knee surgery on both of my knees.  It is ultimately your decision but definitely voice your opinion to your OS and let him know that you are concerned and tell how much it bothers you and when so you can make a good medical decision on what's best down the road.  

With a torn meniscus, the pain may increase as the tear becomes larger.  Just somethings to think about.  Take care and good luck to you whatever you choose to do!
Lynne
Failed LR on both knees 7/00, TTT on both knees 11/27/02...P.T. is over and now it's all up to me!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 02:01:25 AM »
Lynne is right speak to you OS. But know that definately there is the chance that the tear could get larger and cause problems. In the long run left alone it could cause osteo arthritis to develop within the joint.
My Dad had a meniscus tear and bakers cyst drained in April. He is 54 years old, and was back playing hockey 4 weeks post op. Arthroscopic surgery, while being surgery carries it's risks...is not as invasive as an open procedure. My dad had little post operative pain and went to physio for only 4 weeks and was like new.  ;D So Surgery is scarry, but it might be the best thing. AFterall you can't stop bike riding for the rest of your life..it's too fun.
Take care and good luck with your decision
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 02:07:00 AM »
Leaving a torn meniscus will irritate your knee and some say it gives you a better chance of getting arthritis. But others says surgery will also hasten arthritis. I believe if you are predisposed to getting arthritis you will get it either way. I walked around on a torn meniscus for 17 years before it became hopelessly lodge in a part of my knee that prevented me from bending it all the way. I had half of it removed then and it was a great relief. Unfortunately, arthritis had already set in. I have since had the remainder of my meniscus removed and am bone on bone. I am facing more surgery but for now i can ride a mountain bike and my exercise bike without any problems. I also swim when I get a chance. I believe that biking has prolonged the life of my knee. I first injured it when I was 15 and I'm 44 now.

support