Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR after PKR on same knee  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Beje

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR after PKR on same knee
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »
Anyone out there ever needed to have a TKR after having a PKR on the same knee?  It's only been 2 years since I had my PKR on right knee (also have had one on my left knee).  It seems that the implant has loosened and my ortho thinks we might as well go for a TKR.  We're not sure what happened.  I'm only 55, maintain a good weight and exercise, as I know I have to being lousy with osteoarthritis.  I'm curious as to what to expect.  I do heal quickly and have been up and about very quickly with my other surgeries.  But I'm apprehensive about a TKR.  Thanks.

Beje

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: TKR after PKR on same knee
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 12:11:45 AM »
I have seen several people post that  PKR's only last them short term.  I have a total knee replacement and I am under 40.  I don't know what condition your knee is in now.. Your sucesss depends on what is going on with your knee and you cant compare one person recovery to your expected recovery.   What I can say if you can not tolerate the pain go for it.

Offline mtnbikcowboy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • all terrain life
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
What symptoms were you having with your pkr that led you to seek advise on a tkr?
5/02-scope, debridement
7/02-microfracture
3/03-oats-autograft
1/04-scope, debridement
3/04-oats-allograft
2/05-pkr

Offline Beje

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 02:36:27 AM »
It just kept getting more & more painful when using stairs, exercising, etc.  The swelling started again.  I put up with it for almost a year but when the achey pain started moving down my leg I figured it was time to call my OS.  So now I'm headed for a TKR and not looking forward to it.  It's pretty disheartening when you know you did everything right.     

Offline jspencer01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:53:31 AM »
Hi Beje,

I am facing a similar situation to yours as my Oxford partial has failed. 

How did the change to a tkr go? 

Was there any chance that the pkr could be repaired?  My doc is of the opinion that if one failed, then a repaired pkr will probably fail also. 

Hopefully you will be able to respond and let me know about your experience.

Thanks