Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS surgery just round corner - still very worried. HELP.  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Daz2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OATS surgery just round corner - still very worried. HELP.
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:35:09 PM »
I've already posted to this message board about my concerns. I'm booked in to have OATS surgery on my right knee on November 11th - and am still feeling very worried about it. So much so that I went back to see my consultant again just a week or so ago. He told me that it's my choice, in the end, and there's a 70% chance of success. I had an arthroscopy back in February, but the pain and discmfort still persists due to a small area of arthritis: stiff joint, some pain in walking, especially stairs, and running is out of the question. And yet sometimes the pain is very small and very easily maneagable. But what worries me is the post op recovery and potential repercussions. I find it hard to get my head round the idea of being on crutches, non-weight bearing for maybe 6 weeks and then loads of physio afterwards. And will it work? Will there be the possiblity of worse symptoms long term? Added to all this is that we have a 1 year old baby - I don't want to be an invalid in the medium/long term. But the flip side is that the surgery might make everything better!? And give me great mobility when bringing up our baby in the years to come. Do I have the surgery and then regret it, or do I cancel the operation and regret it? In the end i could quite easily live with my present symptoms but might they get worse without surgery? As you can tell I'm getting into panic mode as the day gets nearer. Any advice, guidance, reassurance (and SOON) would be very welcome!

Offline BLACKGIRL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: OATS surgery just round corner - still very worried. HELP.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:43:26 PM »
I JUST HAD THE OATS SURGERY SEPT 8...REGRET HAVING IT...MY DOCTOR DID NOT GIVE ME A SCRIPT TO HAVE THERAPY UNTIL 9 DAYS LATER..3WEEKS AFTER SURGERY I HAD A DVT (BLOOD CLOT) STAYED IN THE HOPSITAL FOR 2WEEKS..AM JUST HAVING THERAPY NOW HAVE ALOT OF SCARE TISSUE..AM ON A WALKER AND CAN NOT BEND MY KNEE YET..

Offline razmataz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:26:58 AM »
Hi there; first off let me say that I'm sorry that you are going through this.  I had an osteochondral and meniscal allograft on the lateral femoral condyle of my left knee on September 11th, 2009.  What might surprise you is this:  I had no knee pain to accompany this surgery.  What I did know is that I had an OCD lesion on my lateral femoral condyle and I didn't have a lateral meniscus... this is a surefire recipe for future arthritis.  So back to you, I'm not sure if they're doing mosaicplasty on you or if they're doing one plug, but I think you SHOULD do it.  Your knee will most surely fall victim to arthritis one day and that day may be too late to do anything about it except a total knee replacement.  The 6 weeks on crutches goes by very fast and if the procedure goes well there are very good chances that you'll be weight bearing far before that.  The other poster got DVT and that's very unfortunate but is a risk taken by having any knee surgery (including the scope you mentioned).  The other problems he/she mentioned are obviously those incurred by his individual case and the proximity of his/her post indicate current frustrations, nothing long term.  Your decision is easy: get the OATS and delay or possibly prevent the onset of arthritis or dont get the OATS and definitely get arthritis and require a TKR which will make your life quite miserable.  Any more background on your knee?  Information of the condition of your menisci and ligaments would obviously help in offering my opinion.  My lateral meniscus had been taken out and I had microfracture surgery on the same knee prior to my operation.  My OS told me I would have arthritis at age 30 (currently 25) had I opted to not have the surgery.  Good luck to you friend, and let me know if there's any way I can help.

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »
Sorry I did not see this sooner. I had the oats procedure on May 15th 2009 It has been 8 months since surgery. I was told I would be non weight bearing for 6 weeks It turned out to be 12 weeks. The pain is tolerable now, not pre injury thou. I have some ruff days still.  I saw the O/S today. I was released to full duty with the only restriction being NO kneeling. This may be a problem with a baby. Please let me know how it turned out. Todd

support