Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I can't believe I broke my knee!  (Read 2825 times)

Offline RhondaR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
I can't believe I broke my knee!
« on: April 22, 2003, 11:07:07 AM »
Hi there! I am a 38 year old female. I broke my right knee on July 7, 2002. I was wearing flip flops and my left ankle gave away (from old track injury) and I went straight down on my right knee. I did'nt know it was broke. I kept walking around. I woke up 3AM next day and could'nt walk. I had never had a broken bone before. It was broke and separted 3/8 of inch. One week later I under went knee surgery. It has 2 pins and wire like a figure 8 around it. I did 12 weeks of physical therapy. (Only 3 weeks of formal) I did 700 leg lifts per day with 5 pound weights on my ankle. I can sit Indian style on the floor. I am still in pain from it. It is numb and when the weather changes it feels like I have a vice grip on my knee.
Missed a step, broke knee 7/7/02, surgery with pins and wire on 7/17/02, 13 weeks PT, plenty of leg lifts and pity parties

Iona_-Uk

Re: I can't believe I broke my knee!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 10:30:07 PM »
Ouch that sounds really really painful for you, how did you manage with walking around on a broken bone, you a lot braver than me I can tell you.

Have you ever been back for more physio or for a second opinion on what is causing that vice like pain in your knee?

You may find the Patello formal joint & bone break around the knee sections useful for you as there are our members who have suffered the same in ther & they can give you more advice that i can.

But anyway, welcome & I hope you find the board useful

Iona x

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: I can't believe I broke my knee!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 12:33:21 AM »
Ugh!   That sounds terrible!    When I was in PT for my ACL reconstruction there was a woman who fell in her driveway while washing her car.   She passed out immediately and woke up when someone found her laying there!   I can't remember everything that went wrong with her knee but "destroyed" comes to mind.   It involved multiple ligaments and a spiral fracture anyway.     Scary that such serious injuries can happen from everyday activities.    

Glad to hear you've recovered as well as you have!   I'm sure some amount of tightness and reaction to the weather and such are to be expected, but it sounds like you've been pretty dedicated to rehab!

Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03