Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My Scope & the road to ACI...  (Read 11294 times)

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: My Scope & the road to ACI...
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »
Murph-- Sorry to hear. When you say start over are you referring to the scar tissue or a new graft procedure? I'm sure yo umentioned it some where but what's the size and location of your defect?

Best of luck to you...hang in there.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:55:36 PM by ajschnelk »

Offline Murph324

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2010, 06:30:09 AM »
He is hoping we dont need to start the ACI procedure over again.
03/04/08- Left Knee Injury
06/18/08- Lateral Release
01/26/09- TTO/Microfracture
10/16/09- LOA/Cartilage Biopsy
01/06/10- ACI
03/24/10- LOA/Hardware Removal
06/04/10- LOA w/ Drain/Lateral Release

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2010, 07:04:22 PM »
Hi Murphy

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through all this again.  It gets a bit wearing doesn't it? :(

I'm sure you're worried about the whole thing and I hope you have good news post-op.  But this might be a good time to review what happened after the last op to see what needs to change to get your ROM back this next time.

I was lucky to have a massage therapist who got my ROM back relatively painlessly at the beginning and I've been able to maintain this by regular top up visits and stretching it for lengthy periods every day.  I don't know if you have already been doing that.  The other thing that has really helped has been a steroid injection which took the inflammation out, but this may only be done after you are someway post-ACI.  If I were to go through this again (and it is quite likely but a bit later) then I'd also get acupuncture to help with the blood flow to keep fluid moving and reduce the risk of reforming the scar tissue.  It's best to discuss this with your OS though to ensure they're happy with everything.

Fingers crossed for you!

Take care.  :-*

1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline Murph324

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 04:12:44 AM »
Surgery was today.  We are very excited that the Graft looks great! All in one piece, right where it belongs!  But, I did need my 2nd Lateral Release.  This was actually my very first surgery.  So, I was definately discouraged when I heard that after surgery (also because I've always referred to the LR as my most painful surgery).  But, after talking to Dr. Gomoll, I am just glad the graft was great! He also took out a ton of scar tissue again.  He said there was more in there, then there was in March when he did the LOA, so he sent me home with a drain to take out Sunday.  Overall, good news. Hope everyone else is doing well :)
01/06/10- ACI

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »
thats good to hear - did he say what was causing the popping and clicking - I guess it was scar tissue?

Offline Murph324

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 05:57:27 AM »
Not much new going on.  I saw the Dr. for my first follow up since 6/4 surgery.  Pics looked great.  I just need to get it to bend.  PT has been going pretty good.  If I could just push past the ROM issue I think things would be good.. Frustrated.  >:( Can start to get rid of the crutches, so I was very happy to hear that  :), and then once my quads do their job, I can get rid of the brace (that I've been in since Jan) so you can only imagine how exciting it was to hear that!!  ;D Hope everyone else is doing well! :)
01/06/10- ACI

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »
Good to hear that the grafts look really good and that the PT is going well for you.  How is your ROM at the mo?

I understand your joyful anticipation at ditching your brace.  I'm still using mine (nearly 1 year on) and I think the brace will be ditching me rather than the other way round. 

Hope you're still enjoying the summer!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline Murph324

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »
Thanks  ;D

Right now, I can get about 80 degrees, and my PT gets about 88.  Not what I would like, but it's better then before the June surgery, so I'll take it! How have you been feeling?
01/06/10- ACI

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 07:26:06 PM »
Oh, you know! Waxes and wanes with the pain! :-\  Saw my acupuncturist who is unhappy with my current relapse and asked me to prod my OS into getting an MRI ASAP.  I was asked to see him after 3 months from my last appointment.  Got a date for 4 months, got the secretary to bring it forward and now one of my therapists want it brought forward again.

I feel like a shuttlecock at times, but I need to do my work-work so I need to chill out, focus on that and just got for a ride at the moment.  I've given myself two months to finish my research project before I take up the mantle to battle for knee rights again.  They say a change is as good as a rest, but I'm so addicted to this forum and want to find out how everyone's doing ...

PS  Have you looked at the Soft Tissue board on AF?  I don't know what your rehab protocol says, but I've been and still am doing heel slides down the wall.  It makes my knee feel really good and allows you to do a prolonged low load stretch on the knee with least stress.  By doing that I've managed to get full ROM and maintain it.  Problem is I still have some tissue trapped in the joint but I can maintain mobility by stretching regularly.

Really want you to win this round of your rehab and there's lots of good suggestions in there (if you haven't seen them already).

Have a grand weekend! ;D

Offline skifanatic

• Regular Poster
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2010, 05:26:21 AM »
Found out last week I am joining with the many others on the ACI road.  Reading forum topics like this one have been quite valuable.  Thanks, and keep em comin!

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »
Any news out there Murph?  I haven't been on much since I went back to work in late April.  I am now 7 months out and though I don't have much pain...more or less the typical achiness ....I feel like I'm progressing ever so slowly.  My ROM is between 130 and 135...not quite enough to touch my foot to my butt...but then again there's not much need for that. 

I can comfortably walk a couple of miles on relatively flat ground, but I with respect to other activities it just seems like it is taking forever.  I can only go 10-15 on the eliptical and/or stationary...any more and it creates swelling.  I still have a little persistant swelling though it's not warm to the touch.  Gomoll was pleased with my lack of swelling at my 5 month post op and said I seemed above the curve with that respect. 

When it comes to my activity level though I feel like I am well below.....How are you progressing? 
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Nov 1997 VMO/Lateral release
April 1998 scope to remove bone chips
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

support