Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Diary of Scott's right patella fracture recovery  (Read 15548 times)

Offline Greta

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • I WILL get better!
Re: Diary of Scott's right patella fracture recovery
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
Scott - interesting what you say about the scar.

First time round I didn't have staples, I had one continuous stitch which was removed about 2 weeks after the operation. The incision ended up a slightly prominent but narrow white scar.

With the hardware removal, they did the same as with you, went down the side of the original incision. I had soluble stiches, and I until you mentioned it, I hadn't noticed it was a wider scar. All is healed well, though it is very pink still. No doubt this will fade. I have noticed over the last few days it has been quite tender,  but the PT did some quite aggressive massage last week and manipulated my patella a lot side to side and up and down, so this has probably been the cause. Fortunately it is very free, which has to be good news. 

I thought your tree simile was marvellous! They told me that the wire I had although was 'protrusive' was also very firmly embedded, so I think they had to dig around a lot to get it out. Glad I was asleep and knew nothing about it. I think I also have ridges, but this is nothing compared to the ends of the wire which were sticking out just under the skin.

My ROM is now 95 - my PT measured my other leg last week and the ROM there is only 117, so it would seem I don't have all that far to go to match the two legs. However, I appreciate that this last bit will probably be a long time coming. Being nearly a year since the fracture, I am resigned to not trying to rush things. My project is to stretch my hamstrings and quad tendons, this I am finding quite hard work, and a bit painful but they have been 'unstretched' for so long, it is not surprising that they are tight.

My OS didn't seem to think I needed a lot of PT as I knew all that had to be done, but the patella manipulation is something I would rather someone else did, so it is worth going for that, and the stationary bike (which I can only rock - couldn't possibly go all the way round). I am lucky in that I don't have to pay for PT (UK - NHS) and I do have a PT I trust and have confidence in.

Getting there; slowly and surely is the nature of the game as we all know!

Greta
1Aug:comminuted L patella#+RPT
2Aug:ORIF+cylinder cast
Sept:hinged brace
ROM poor
Oct CT scan:2 large bone fragments
ROM:45
May:all metal out+MUA[110]ROM:90
Sept:ROM still 90
7Feb:MUA[130]+excision to remove fragment;no arthroscopy;all cleaned thru incision
25Feb:followup;more PT

Offline Mrs.W

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 06:06:04 AM »
Hi Im Cris.. I fractured my left patella in 2002- Fell down a flight of concrete stairs- though still managed to drive myself to the ER in
 my 5 speed GTI... with my then 5 year old daughter in tow, convinced I had only dislocated it- only to be told that all I had was a hematoma.  After making a big fuss, I got an xray to confirm a horizontal fracture. Fought for 3 days with insurance company for surgery which was finally approved. Had surgery,  wires & screws, and 8 years later, all I can say is that I have been in PAIN. I also believe my left quad is atrophied (sp?) I went to PT 3 times  but when the freaky woman decided that the result of my accidents (I also fell off a horse in 91 and shattered my left ankle requiring surgery) was 'weak stomach muscles' and began deep tissue masage of my abdomen, my young and stubborn mentality took me running out of that place determined to do it on my own.

Now I am 34 year old stay at home mom of 3, & I have no insurance. I NEED to do something about this I can't live like this anymore. I am in constant pain. I m reasonably active working out at a gym 3-4 times a week... I have a pretty wide range of motion considering ... & I don't limp anymore... up & down stairs just fine. (down took a while to master) but pain sometimes keeps me up at night & Im NOT a pill popper so I try to stretch it out to no avail.

I am pretty sure the hardware removal would really help because I had the hardware in my ankle removed the year prior to the patella fracture and the pain there is now minimal... only when it rains ;)

I suppose I'm just needing some emotional support from those who understand my predicament...

Oh & does anyone's knee sometimes buckle out of nowhere?!!

Offline grandmalinda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 06:04:13 AM »
Okay, I am scheduled to have my hardware removed on the 22nd of Oct. I hope it helps my knee feel better. It would be so great to be able to get up and down stairs again with little or no pain, it would be great to not have that constant ache. I am also wondering,,,if I happen to put any weight on my knee,,as I used to normally do when making my bed and spreading the sheets, it feels like I am kneeling on a dozen stinging nettle plants. Do you think the hardware is causing that? ( or am I just being a wimp? ) Anyway, I think I could really use some encouraging words about this. Thanks so much.

Offline Greta

• Forum Faithful
  • I WILL get better!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 08:20:57 AM »
Hi Grandmalinda
Yes I am sure the stinging nettle feeling is your hardware. If you look at my other posts you will see I described the feeling as exactly that, and I have not experienced it again since I had all the metalwork out in May.
Also the continual ache will go - I hadn't realised this was there all the time and it was only afterwards that I realised it had been there but my body had accepted this as normal so I didn't notice it.
I don't thing you should - or any of us for that matter - ever think of yourself as a wimp. What we have had is a very serious injury, so rare that you are unlikely to meet anyone else who has had it, and there is no doubt that it is lifechanging. Thank goodness for this site where you find you are not the only one to go through it.
As you will see if you read my posts, after nearly 14 months I am still not out of the woods yet but we are all different and I seem to have been unluckier than most. But I do think that the best thing that has happened so far is the hardware removal!
I was very encouraged yesterday when my daughter, who hadn't seen me for about 3 weeks said "Mum, you're walking like a normal person"  I know it may seem silly to be pleased to hear something like that but every day a milestone seems to be passed.
Good luck with your op - it's nothing compared with the first and you just won't look back after it!
Greta 
1Aug:comminuted L patella#+RPT
2Aug:ORIF+cylinder cast
Sept:hinged brace
ROM poor
Oct CT scan:2 large bone fragments
ROM:45
May:all metal out+MUA[110]ROM:90
Sept:ROM still 90
7Feb:MUA[130]+excision to remove fragment;no arthroscopy;all cleaned thru incision
25Feb:followup;more PT

Offline Ops

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »
hello

i went through the exact same thing except im from such a small island and the physio at the hospital is not very helpful and does not have any equipment for me to work on my leg also the other only pt here cost 60 dollars nz for half hour could you please send me info on the exsercises you did to strengthen my knee and quads its been 6 weeks after my surgery and i had the same pins and wires put in how long did the whole thing go for?

please reply im begging you