Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Football knee injury  (Read 1518 times)

Offline pete_duk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Football knee injury
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:28:22 PM »
hi there, basically injured my knee yesterday playing football. Had immediate pain in my knee and was unable to get up for a few minutes, but was then able to hobble about. As the day went on knee gradually became stiffer and now i am on crutches and unable to put much weight on my leg or able to bend my knee much. Went to hospital and they told me that it was ligament damage on the inside of my knee. Was wonderin what the best way to go about recovery is and also if anyone had a rough idea how long i'd be on crutches and also how long until i'd be able to play football again.
Thanks

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Football knee injury
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »
Hi There,

When you were at the hospital did they say what ligament may have been damaged the collateral ligaments or cruciate ligament. A tear can occur on the cruciate ligament from a sudden change in movement such as when playing a game of football. Will you be having an MRI scan done to see if you have torn any ligaments and did you see an OS at the Hospital Orthopaedic Surgeon.

How much swelling do you have and are you taking ibuprofen tablets and iceing the knee and resting it as you wont be able to play football just yet. It might be a good idea to see your GP for a referral to see an OS as they are the best people to see after a injury like yours. IF its the ACL thats torn then you would need key hole surgery to recontruct it but might not have damaged it so dont want to start worrying you just yet.

Sometimes complete rest can do the trick but maybe best seeing an OS to put your mind at ease.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1759

Nick :) {2009} :)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:58:36 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
you need to try and find out what is actually wrong as soon as possible

i had the same problem with my ACL a few years back... i had a LOT of waiting around on the NHS (assuming your in the UK).

I would follow the RICE method, then once the swelling has gone down enough try and get your GP to refer you a physotherapist or just pay to see one yourself. normally costs around 35-45 around here for an inital diagnosis.

Offline pete_duk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:19:33 PM »
Cheers guys, the doctor seemed to think it was collateral ligaments. havent seen an os or GP and im trying to get a physio appointment privately atm but i also have one with the nhs, just waiting for a date to be sent out to me. im presummin to get an mri with the nhs would be a long wait? or to be done privately would be expensive? im a student so moneys tight unfortunately!!

Offline pete_duk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:23:48 PM »
sorry meant to say also, that i am taking ibruprofren and co-codamal but only before sleeping. and i have swelling on the inside of my knee and just above the knee

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »
See my other thread on this sub forum on private hospital costs.

Basically if you can get your physio to refer you you can get one private for about 200 - 250 if you can get to London, Cheltenham or Solihull.

After that your physio can check the results, or you coudl pay a surgeon to see it

to have it done on the NHS does involve a wait, for me it took approx 3 months from getting the refferal to having the scans and getting the results.

Offline pete_duk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »
cheers guys appreciate the advice

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »
i saw a diff physio today and he made his diasgnosis

but the important thign to remember if they can make a diagnosis but can never be sure until an MRI is done, so if you thin ktheinjury is serious then going for an MRI is a good investment as it tells you what is wrong and a surgeon will want one if you go for nhs surgery later

Offline pete_duk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »
im goin 2 a physio appointment tomorrow hopefully so shall let you know what he says. cheers

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »
Hi pete_duk,

I had my MRI scan done on the NHS and it only took 6 weeks from referral for scan till the results but thats the only good thing I can say about the NHS. The physio I saw was useless and said my knee was ok and imagaine not being able to run and feeling catching and sharp pain inside the knee because my MRI came up normal. Took too long to see an OS so ended up going private for consultation but the OS I am seeing works for the NHS hospital I am going to and waited 9 weeks for follow up consultation on the NHS.

I am on the waiting list to have a scope done on my right knee which is swollen so cant be ok and was 30th June when my name went on the lsit and so far not recieved a letter from the hospital for surgery and ment to be this month.

If you going to use the NHS then you should go to your GP for a referral to see an OS as it will take a while to see one on the NHS, so best to book earlier rather then leaving it too long. Sometimes an OS wont ask for a MRI scan and will know whats wrong with the knee during examination and may opt to scope the knee.

I was not impressed with my MRI results as it came up normal when I know I have damaged my knee when I fell onto pavement in October 2007 while I was jogging. Often a MRI scan comes up normal but when the OS scopes the knee he spots problems that the MRI scan missed out. My Brother in Law had an MRI scan and it came up normal had a 2nd one done and showed up a menicus tear as his knee was so swollen that the MRI did not pick up the tear.

If you are a student you on a tight budget so maybe best using the NHS but will have to wait a while for surgery if its needed as I am finding out. I am not running down the NHS they fantastic in emergencies and with cancer patients just too slow treating injuries which is a great shame.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:54:41 PM by Clarkey »
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline pete_duk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »
cheers nick, sounds like the scope would be the better option. ill def have a look into it.

also went to the physio yesterday, said i've done some damag to my hamstring tendons, have probably a grade 1 ligamnet sprain but it may be grade 2. also said im likely to have done some dameg to the inside of knee, but because of the swelling he didnt couldnt tell what exactly, however he thinks its unlikey to be a cruciate ligamment.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »
Hi pete_duk,

Good news that it may it not be the cruciate ligamment as it takes along time to get your knee back to how it use to be before the tear after surgery. A scope is a good diagnoses to see whats wrong with your knee but your OS may still want an MRI scan done so he knows what he is dealing with before he scopes the knee.

A scope is normally the last resort if conservative treatments have failed but as I said before the OS may know what wrong with knee when examining your knee and can tell if its a torn meniscus as I saw when I watched Strictly on the BBC and Phil Tufnell the English cricketing legend had a torn meniscus in his knee and did not need an MRI on his knee, had a scope done instead as his OS knew it was a torn meniscus during examination of his knee.

Offline pete_duk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 06:37:26 PM »
yea was glad to hear he doesnt think its the cruciate but not counting my chickens just yet!will be pretty gutted if it is tho! does anyone know roughly how long i could expect to be on crutches for? i appreciate it may still be hard to tell given the full extent of damage to the inside of my knee is still unknown reali.
cheers pete

support