Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knees in winter  (Read 1384 times)

Offline colonelcrow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knees in winter
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
Hello.

I tore my lateral ligaments (to both knees in the space of a year) whilst playing football in 2000, dislocating the patella both times.

I went through some pretty average physio and the knees are OK now, save me feeling nervous on slippery pavements, etc. I don't play sport anymore anyway - even if I wanted to, I think I would have the pyschological barrier.

My question(s) are, is it usual to have a physically cold knee? In cold weather, my knee stiffens up in the mornings, crackles a bit more and feels a bit more painful...the first signs of osteoarthritis probably, ok I can handle that....but the knee is a very low temperature sometimes. I have sat in a hot bath before and my knees have been like blocks of ice. Is this a common thing amongst men with knee problems?

Cheers  :)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Knees in winter
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:02:49 AM »
Quite often in the winter my knees will get very cold and stay cold for a long while.  They would get warmer after a hot bath or use of a heating pad.  I think the arthritic knees don't like cold.  My knees have been doing this since I had surgery at 19, so for about 20 years now.  I sometimes even have to put a lap blanket over my knees in my office when there is a cold breeze from the window there.  Stinks to get old doesn't it?  I don't know if the cold knee is usual or not, but I get them too.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »
This might not help

I did my ACL in and got a lot of random knee pain and did find temp differences in my knees when it was cold outside.

I found thigns got A LOT better when I did proper physio and got the muscles up.

Obviously this may not apply if you have other issues like potential arthiritis

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »
I found the first winter after my knee injury that my knee was far more comfortable while I worked outdoors in the New England cold if I wore my neoprene sleeve brace.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 02:42:18 PM »
Hi All,

I was at work on Thursday this week and it was a cool damp and had drizzle all day and felt pain in both knees more then I would on a nice warm day. I am not looking forward this autumn and winter working on the golf course and been told by my sisters and mum may have slight arthritus already. Work alot in the damp and cold and it cant be any good for the knees and so far only worked 10 years and intend to work another 29 years and retire at 60 if I can financially.

I hope my knees can take another 29 years once I have had my right knee scoped as surgery can increase the risk of arthritus. I not going to worry about it as it may not happen but working outdoors most of your life cant be that good for your joints.

From what I read from members that have had knee surgery they tend to have knee pain when its cold outside then someone with a healthy knee who has not had any surgery.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline NotSuperhuman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • I'm (not) Superhuman
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:00:08 AM »
Cold or damp weather is torturous for bad knees! Last week, it was chilly and rainy from Monday through Sunday and I thought my knees were going to call it quits for good. It has to do with the barometric pressure (see: http://www.notsuperhuman.com/2009/10/achy-joints-look-to-rain/).

As for your knees feeling cold to the touch, I haven't experienced that. But I can say that my heating pad (bought at the drugstore for $15--one of the best buy's I've ever made) is a life-saver for cold-weather aches.
Chondromalacia 6 years
PT 2003, 2006, 2009
Cortisone injection 2009
Prolotherapy 2X 2009
PRP, current

Read my story at www.notsuperhuman.com

Offline colonelcrow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 12:18:28 PM »
Thanks all - maybe the cold knee thing is a natural reflection of the pressure change?

Offline boudica183

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 06:06:04 AM »
I had patella reconstruction 8 years ago when i was 17 and my knee aches even when I think it is going to rain or snow...haha. I think I'm too young for arthritis but it isnt' up to me, I guess. Try some NSAIDS and a heating pad. Mine has been cold to the touch lately too. The weather has been doing some wacky things and i don't think that helps our joints very much.

support