Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 144386 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #450 on: October 18, 2010, 02:33:49 AM »
Wow Lizzy, mine are nothing like that. I just have two long incisions, one 8-9" one on the side of my thigh starting basically about 2-3" below my waistline and then one anteriolateral on the shin starting just below and outside of the patella, like lateral to the patella tendon. That one is about 8" in length. Hmm, but I forgot you have a rod in your femur, not a plate. That explains the incisions where the screws are and why your femur incisions are so different from mine.

All of the work on my tibia was done through the same incision. When I had the hardware removed, he of course just opened the same incisions and did the arthroscopy through that incision also.

Fingers crossed for good healing and clearance to drive on the 3rd!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 02:36:51 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #451 on: October 21, 2010, 05:09:49 AM »
10/20/2010

A year ago today I waved goodbye to my teary-eyed mom as I was wheeled to the OR. Six hours later I woke up with a straight leg and the uber-awesome Dr. Sanders telling me to "Push it girl!" as I bent my knee to 125 degrees. Around this time, I was probably posting for the umpteenth time in this very post-op diary about my experience.

And so it began.

This last year has been a ride--but a ride so worth it. My leg is so much better. My patella is stable. My knee doesn't hurt. I can do so much more than before surgery. Prior to hardware removal, I was playing basketball, running for a bit, mountain biking, and walking as much as I wanted. Prior to my derotation surgery, I didn't dare do any of those activities. At that time, it was a relief just to walk to the bathroom without a subluxation.

At 1 year post-op, I can still feel improvement in how the leg feels. The hardware removal has made a big difference. No more snapping on my hip, no more irritation bending my knee.

Who knows how many miles I have logged on the stationary bike from the first time I got on it 6 days post-op or how many hours I've spent almost daily in the gym. But all for good reason. My doc said, "You have to sweat!" Well, I've sweat out my fair share of hair styles in this year, but it really did and still does pay off.

I'm looking forward to tackling even more things. I know my leg will just continue to improve and as I keep working on strength, I'll be doing everything I want in no time. Even still, it sure is nice to be doing so much more than I have been for many years.

Sanders Clinic for the win!

Actually, it's 10/21/2010 now, but oh well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:12:36 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #452 on: October 21, 2010, 05:16:52 AM »
Congratulations, CrankerChick! You've had an amazing recovery and it's so great to see you doing so well :) I'm sure all of us on here are grateful for all of the knowledge and presence on you bring to this board. I'm so glad the last year was worth while to you. I hope you have continued success and you get better and better so you can do anything you want in life.

It's only up from here!

'04 - '10: Years of dislocations & subluxations

01/13/2010 - LR, MR, VMO Advancement
10/06/2010 - Fulkerson Osteotomy (TTT)
09/02/2011 - Scheduled MPFLr

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #453 on: October 21, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »
You truly are an inspiration to those of us who are not quite where you are yet! Your determination encourages us to push through, as there is light at the end of this long and sometimes very dark tunnel.  ;)
I'm so glad it has been worth it, its great to hear a success story! What a difference a great doctor, a hard working patient and one year makes hey?!
12/9 - Substantial Subluxation of L patella due to a fall
12/9 - 2/10 - PT for injury
3/10 - PT rehab (non responsive)
5/10 - Referred to OS
6/10 - Diagnosed Maltracking & patella alta
9/10 - TTT with LR
10/10 - VMO atrophy & muscle imbalance
11/10 - Diagnosed with Femoral Nerve Inflammation

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #454 on: October 21, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
What a great READ!!!!!!  I remember your first post,,,,,,,,Iam so happy you have had such a success story.

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!  It is such a great feeling on that one year mark when your feeling great

talk soon Suzanne

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #455 on: October 23, 2010, 01:45:53 AM »
Hey Crankerchick, just thought I'd pop over and give you an update on my situation..
Sounds like you were on the money with the muscle imbalance thing. My OS wasnt in any hurry to see me after my subluxation, but I was really stressed about it so my personal GP (Primary Doctor) sent me for scans. The TTT is fine as far as they can tell, the tubercle placement is good, nothing has shifted, but all soft tissue scans support the subluxation possibility, (lots of inflammation) so subluxation is more than likely. My PT checked me out and agrees that I had subluxed. The reason according to the radiologist and doctor is a muscle imbalance, and for the minute I am in the splint. Going to see the OS next week to see what to do from here. Probably up the PT strengthening exercises I guess. At least no more surgery for now!!
Hope you are doing well.
Kat
5/10 - Referred to OS
9/10 - TTT with LR

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #456 on: October 23, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »
what is muscle inbalance guys

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #457 on: October 24, 2010, 06:22:51 AM »
Hi Suzanne,

A muscle imbalance is where the inner range quads are not strong enough to hold the patella firmly in place and the outer range quads are much stronger, consequently making the patella want to pull to the lateral side despite the surgery correcting the tracking and tilt issues. The patella is still subluxing out of position from the smallest amount of pressure due to a slight twist or jarring of the lower leg, all whilst NWB (I'm still heavily reliant on my crutches, my patella subluxed twice this week, once when I just brushed my op leg foot on the pavement as I swung it through on the crutches to take the next step and again less than 24hrs later, when I rolled over in bed (alone..haha, no funny business involved, my husband has not been that lucky  :)) - I wasnt in the splint on both occasions when it subluxed as the OS has said I didnt need to wear it anymore only about 5 days earlier at my 6 week appt. Now the OS said I have to stay in the splint 24/7 for now til I see him next week, probably until I can build the inner range quads up, although this in itself is challenging if in a straight leg splint and is not helping the ROM issues I am also dealing with. Once the inner range quads are up to scratch strength wise it should hold the patella in place. I'm going to enquire about the possibility of swapping into a ROM brace instead, as other TTT "victims" have told me they have found it much better. Did I get that right Crankerchick?? Feel free to correct me or add to this..!  :)

Kat
5/10 - Referred to OS
9/10 - TTT with LR

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #458 on: October 25, 2010, 02:50:09 PM »
Thanks ladies for the well-wishes on my 1-year "anniversary" of sorts.

Kat, thanks for the update. I'm glad to read your OS and GP both think the instability might just be muscle related. It sucks they've put you back in the splint though. Gotta get those parts moving and strong so they do their job and keep that patella in place.

With doctor's permission, I'm now slowly increasing the intensity of my workouts and adding in more exercises, especially to target the upper thigh, hip, and glutes, which was the main area I was struggling to regain strength before. I'm hopeful that now that the snapping is gone and the irritation is reduced, I'll finally be able to strengthen those muscles. I just have to take it slow to start, doctor's orders.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #459 on: November 03, 2010, 10:17:28 PM »
I got my six week post op appt. I'm finally allowed to put full weight on my leg. YAY! But they are sending me to physical therapy now cause my quad muscles are shot, and they get to determine when I can drive. Little disappointed with the driving situation.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #460 on: November 04, 2010, 06:16:01 PM »
Ugh, still no driving? Hopefully the physical therapists will release you soon to drive. Glad to read the bone is healed up and you are now allowed to weight bear. Hit the PT hard and you'll be driving in no time.

I guess I'll update since I'm on here. Not much to say. I'm 9 weeks post-op from the hardware removal and arthroscopy. I still seem to be battling swelling in my knee and just below it, but for the most part my leg is good, albeit still a bit sore in a few places. I'm focusing a lot on single leg exercises like single leg wall squats, single-leg leg press, balancing, etc to target the weak upper part of my leg. With the hardware out, the exercises are less painful, but they do leave the area irritated and fatigued for a few days, but that has always been the case ever since I started walking after the first surgery. This area has always felt tight and weak. It's what affects my gait the most. After really working it, the tightness pretty bad. But with patience and putting in the work, even this area will be strong and I'll have my leg at 100%!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:38:13 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #461 on: November 08, 2010, 03:26:50 AM »
You keep up the good work your determined you will get to 100 percent before you know it

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #462 on: November 10, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »
Hey everyone,

So i'm on day 12 after having my left hip opened up after the plate removal in december. They ended up fixing 3 major problems. One thing theyy had to fix was a bone fragment that had to be removed from my IT band. It had embedded itself from one of the last surgeries and he had to cut it out and repair the tendon. Then he did have to shave and smooth the head of my femur like he thought he would. Then he had to separate tendons that had grown together or something like that. So all in all, i'm really  glad I had that fixed.

I went back to class monday, and since I was using no crutches at home I thought one would do for school. That was a bad decision....  I underestimated the amount of walking that is involved in school. So as much as I didn't want too, i've been taking two to school. The added practically 40 pounds for my backpack doesn't help any. So even though he said no weight restrictions I find myself in a really fair amount of pain if I do too much walking.

The incision is almost 12 inches this time! I don't know why he had to make it so big, probably to make sure everything was okay. He scraped all the scar tissue away from the previous times it was opened. The incision has really caused alot of pain this time. I'm not sure exactly why, because it looks really good. It's all closed, and it's red but not disgusting.

The epidural didn't end up working so they have me dilauded for the pain. Man oh man, I was higher than a kite, but it did work well for pain control. I was seing pink unicorns and talking to papa smurf. LOL.

Hope everyone is well.... thought i'd give you an update.

Lizzy, sorry to hear you aren't driving yet! Hopefully soon!

Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline NickiAnn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #463 on: November 11, 2010, 01:19:26 AM »
Hey Lyndsey!

Glad to hear that the doctor was able to find definite sources for all your pain.  I sure do hope that you are now on your way to final healing!  Crankerchick,  I'm also happy to hear that you are doing so well.  I can't believe how quickly time has been flying.  Already nine weeks since your hardware removal!

Nicole
1997 Diagnosed with miserable malalignment
Nov. 2011 Left leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies
July 2012 Right leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #464 on: November 11, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »
So last friday I went to see a physical therapist for the first time. He told me I could drive. YAY!  Im going twice a week. Getting on the treadmill (I have to hold on to the rails) relearning how to walk is hard and retraining all my muscles that I feel I have lost all function.

Lynsey sounds like you had alot done. Hope you feel better!