Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 137987 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #405 on: September 26, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »
I didn't find out about my twisted bones until last year, at age 28, despite having knee problems since I was 9 and seeing my fair share of doctors over the years. I actually learned about twisted bones thanks to this forum and then ended up traveling to get checked for it and learned that I have the deformities in both legs. If it wasn't for this forum and a good friend helping me out, I probably woud have ended up having a different surgery that wouldn't have addressed the torsions or the patella alta.

I could move my knee after the derotations. In fact, part of the rehab was to bend it knee to chest every hour. No brace either. Every doctor does it differently. I was so happy to bend the knee even though straightening it out hurt pretty good.

I know what you mean about being drained. I still have to make a decision about my other leg, if I want to fix it or not. I'm just ready to be done with all of it! its hard for people that haven't experienced it to understand the emotional swings. Pain, rehab, and just having one's mobility severely reduced is a lot to handle. Just have to power through. I'm thankful to have supportive family and friends and a good friend that I can talk to when I just need someone that "gets it."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:47:12 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #406 on: September 26, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
Yea I was always told that I had runners knee (pattela-femroal pain sysndrome) . But in reality I'm bow legged. I have it both of my legs too. But I only have problems with my right leg. So at this moment I am definitly not putting myself through this again , for a leg that I have no problems with.

After they cut my femur I could bend my knee a little and they really wanted it to be around 90 degrees after 2-3 weeks.  This time they want the same thing but my knee is so much more stiffer. they def are not having me move my knee to my chest. They didnt even send me to physical therapy which I am dissapointed in, cause sometimes I just do not have the motivation do to the exercises myself. lol

I have a support system, I had to move back home with my parents. But sometimes there too supportive and end up making me feel worse. And my boyfriend lives two hours away which makes it that much worse.

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #407 on: September 27, 2010, 12:34:39 AM »
by the way. why did they not put a rod in your femur, and where did you have this surgery done at

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #408 on: September 27, 2010, 02:05:32 AM »
I had my surgery at the Sanders Clinic by the most-excellent, genius even, Dr. Mark Sanders. I traveled from MD to TX and for me it was totally worth it. Careful consideration went in to choosing who to let break my leg in multiple places.

My femoral osteotomy was just below the hip (intertrochanteric) and was secured with a wicked Synthes plate and 7 screws. The plate has been chosen over the rod for better fixation, less post-operative pain, less blood loss, and lower incidence of delayed union (see literature by uber-expert Dr. Robert Teitge).

My tibial osteotomy was done just below the knee at the tibial tubercle, which was also moved down during the operation. It was fixed with a synthes plate and 5 screws. I had 3 screws in the front of the shin for the TTT.

After my surgery, bending the knee was a requirement. I opened my eyes, looked at my leg, wiggled my toes, said "Wow, that hurts!" and then in comes my doctor making me bend my knee to my chest. Then bending every hour and otherwise elevating with nothing but air under the knee to lock the leg in extension. I had a sheet of exercises to do 3x a day starting from day 0 and also stationary biking for 1 hour every day starting day 6. One of the reasons I choose my doctor is because of his approach to the rehab.

I actually stayed with my in-laws after my surgery, so 1 week in TX and then 5 weeks with them = 6 weeks away from my home and my new husband. It was the suck. My in-laws are great, but there's no place like home. I know what you mean, there's a fine line between helping and smothering. I had to remind the in-laws a few times to let me do as much on my own as I could, for my own sanity.

Where did you have your surgeries? Where were your osteotomies done?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:20:43 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #409 on: September 27, 2010, 03:59:26 AM »
So you live in MaryLand? where do your in laws live?
I had my surgeries  done at hershey medical hospital in hershey pa.

Thats very interesting about the rehab. My first surgery I was give about four exercise. Ankle pushes, glute pushes, elevating my leg up and down, and bending my knee. But I wasn't able to get by knee to 90 degrees til  about two weeks after surgery. And was never give a perscription to go to pt.
Second surgery I am not allowed to put more than 30 lbs on my leg for six weeks. And was give the same exercises with no pt again. I might just go and try an get a physical therapist on my own. I feel like I would rehab so much better than on my own.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #410 on: September 27, 2010, 05:29:56 AM »
Yeah I'm in MD. TX for surgery. Atlanta for the stay with the in-laws.

Can you pursue PT on your own without a doctor referral? What about just asking your doctor about it? Mine didnt specifically prescribe it, because I was already armed with a good home plan, but he had no objection to me going to pt if I wanted.

I opted to go 2x a week. My PT in ATL did not attempt to change the exercise plan given to me by doctor, he just gave me stuff to supplement it. Once home, PT was more of a miss. It just wasn't pushing me, way too conservative. I worked harder on my own in the gym everyday, but I wasn't sure if I was doing the right things to get my leg strong in the fastest time.  So I went back to the doctor and worked with the trainer in his office. I got some excellent help and direction and a training plan to follow.

Everybody is different. If you feel you will do better with PT then most certainly push to get it. Its your leg, do what you need to do to get it right. I did better on my own after working with the houston trainer and then following his training plan, but that's just me. The important thing is to get what you need for you and your leg.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #411 on: September 28, 2010, 07:51:02 PM »
4 weeks post-op hardware removal and arthroscopy

Not much of an update. I'm just prodding along, doing my home exercises 3x a day and working out in the gym everyday. Have I mentioned lately how much I just love the stationary bike? Longest hour ever LOL. I pretty much have to ice after the gym, as I'm still battling some fierce swelling. Biking, stretching, going out, whatever, the knee swells more, like clockwork.

As far as how my leg feels, this past week has seen some decent improvement in the pain area. Some of the sore spots are appreciably better. Just dealing with the lateral part of the knee and patella and all along the shin just below the knee that are still sore, even just to the touch. Ugh. As for my thigh, well it's tight but less sore but I have this worrisome pain with weight bearing that I'm not sure about if it is something to work through or worry about.

Some cool news is I can totally sit indian-style and cross my legs now without pain. Bye bye plate pain on lateral rotation of the hip. The Houston trainer gave me a bunch of external hip rotation stretches that pretty much brought tears to my eyes when I was bionic, but now they now longer hurt. I'm very much liking metal-free, in case I haven't said that lately.

Edit to add:
How 'bout them Cowboys!!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:00:38 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #412 on: September 29, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »
Been a rough year for you but glad you got the metal out before your  1 year anniversary hope on that day your feeling awesome and pain free...

Poor kate when I tell her your a Cowboy fan, she is mega Giants fan.....lol

Keep up the good work, kate is enjoying a stressful senior year but knee is great

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #413 on: October 05, 2010, 03:19:34 PM »
How long did it take you to get off your pain meds. My first surgery took me about a month half. I want to try and be off of them in like two weeks.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #414 on: October 05, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
Lizzy123, after the derotation, I took them for I think 5 days. After that I just took one here or there as needed. I started off taking 2 percocet every 4 hours and did that the day of the surgery and the next. 2 days post-op I dropped it down to 1 tylenol and 1 percocet every 4-6 hours. I think on either day 4 or 5 post-op I just went to Tylenol every 4 hours as needed. I know I popped a pill before my flight home on post-op day 6, just to be safe LOL. Everybody is different though. In my case I just didn't think they were helping. I took them for as long as I did more because I was worried the pain would get out of control without them.

Suzanne, you are right it has been quite the year for me but I'm soooo on the other side and looking forward to bowling and basketball and whatever else I set my sights on! Glad Kate's knee is doing good and she is enjoying the fun and stress of senior year!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:19:52 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #415 on: October 05, 2010, 08:15:49 PM »
5 weeks post-op hardware removal and arthroscopy

I can't believe it has been 5 weeks. Feels like forever!

I've been chillin out lately, as the pain in my thigh was progressively getting worse. I was told to ease up on my holey bones and stop stressing them so I've just been riding the bike for an hour, but no lifting or anything else. It's just so weird not to be doing more. But I'll be back to working out soon so I guess I should just enjoy this time for the excuse to sit still.

The lateral knee soreness is almost gone now and the patella feels a lot better. I can kneel now without too much difficulty. Just dealing with the pain/soreness on the tibia and the knee that swells like a balloon and throbs from time to time. The incisions have closed up nicely and I have (had?) dissolvable stitches so no railroad tracks from staples this time. I will be ready to run and jump when I get the green light.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline vl7007

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #416 on: October 06, 2010, 01:59:23 AM »
Hey crankerchick,

It is great to see the changes/improvement you have managed to achieve so far.  I am sooooo happy for you.  Setting your own limits is great, and knowing when to slow down to allow bones time is also important.  I a glad that you seem to be finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.  Look forward to more posts of your success.  Take care.

Kat's mum vicki
 :D

Offline rsuddeth

• Regular Poster
« Reply #417 on: October 07, 2010, 02:26:14 AM »
Sounds like good news to me. I know it's disappointing (and hard!) to do less than you're used to. But they are right, you need to let those bones heal before you go crazy with the weight bearing stuff (I know, it doesn't seem crazy to you.... )  It's great that you can bike for an hour -- I'd love to be able to do that with any degree of comfort (but hey, I'll dance for an hour -- which is probably harder on my knees than the bike -- and hardly feel pain then -- I guess it just depends what gets the happy juices going for ya!)
Feb 24th, 2010 TTT/LR (meniscus trim)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #418 on: October 07, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »
Vicki: Thanks for the well wishes! I'm definitely looking forward to making more success-story posts too!

Rsuddeth: I totally am not a fan of the bike, I'd much rather road bike or even better, mountain bike. Dancing for an hour with no pain? That's great! At least it is something you like to do.

I guess I wasn't thinking that lifting weights would really stress the bones that much since they aren't full weight-bearing exercises like say squatting, which I know I'm not supposed to do. I did get the ok from the doctor to lift before doing it, and wasn't going at full weight, opting for higher reps instead. Not sure the lifting specifically is what caused the thigh pain to get worse, but since being told to lay off, things are improving.

My stupid still twisted leg has decided to participate in a marathon pain contest though. Going on like 8 straight days of ache in that leg ugh.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:57:28 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline NickiAnn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #419 on: October 08, 2010, 12:30:18 AM »
For the sake of comparing notes, where does your still twisted leg hurt?  Do you have the under the knee cap pain or hip pain?  I was wondering recently why my knees never dislocate like yours did when we have nearly the same angles.  Hmmm... it's all very mysterious. 

I know you're very tender now from the hardware removal, but prior to the latest surgical irritation, was the knee on your untwisted leg feeling pretty good? 

I'm spending a lot of time after school on the couch as I'm still having trouble.  I'm really conflicted about what to do about this surgery...

Be careful on your freshly wounded leg!  You've still got healing to do!

1997 Diagnosed with miserable malalignment
Nov. 2011 Left leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies
July 2012 Right leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies

support