Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 137994 times)

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #360 on: August 19, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
That's great news! I'm so glad you will be on your way to feeling better. I really do think that hardware removal will help! It may not take away all the pain, but I sure felt better without all that metal in me! I'm keeping you in my prayers! The snapping is awful, and I hope it's your plate that's causing it!

I've been going to PT and my PT isn't sure it's the tendon that's causing the snapping. I don't know though... he says it's so loose it's not even funny! And that shouldn't cause snapping. He thinks maybe it's in the actual joint, or other tendons around the area.... who knows. I guess we'll find out when he goes in in October and checks things out!

Good luck!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #361 on: August 19, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »
Thanks Lyndsey and Snowy. Indeed, another surgery does suck but like you guys said, hopefully it will make things improved, if not all the way better once I'm all healed up from it.

Lyndsey, sorry the PT isn't helping with the snapping, but at least you are finding some relief from the other pain whlie you there. 3 visits isn't much, so hopefully with more treatment it will have more of an effect for you. Plus, the strengthening will be good for going into surgery.

So I'm going to Cowboys Stadium this time! I was considering doing it after the surgery, but was soon reminded that this is still surgery and I need to take it easy, so I'll spring for the extra night in TX and do it before. I guess in my mind I just don't want this to be a big deal. The thought of hitting reset on rehab already makes me want to bash my head into a wall, so at least if I pretend it's not a big deal I will have some peace of mind. But *sigh* it is what it is. Eventually the leg will be great, I just have to put in the work to get there. It will be worth it in the end. Anything worth having is worth working for.

They are going to get me into PT before I come home, which is good because I don't plan on doing PT at home unless I have to. I am confident I can do it on my own this time with the help of my trainer here at home and the guys in TX. I'm sure the staff at the clinic will be happy when they are done dealing with me though. I can be a pain in the ass with all my questions. But they are awesome, they field all my questions and work things out great. I couldn't ask for a better doctor or clinic to deal with.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:20:47 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »
Here's a recent tweet for those of you needing some motivation:

You can't half ass and expect great results. You get out what you put in. #truth

That was tweeted by Shawne Merriman (OLB, San Diego Chargers).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:33:40 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #363 on: August 21, 2010, 01:49:08 AM »
So here I go replying to my own posts, but it seems fitting to share this milestone since I am exactly 10 months post-op today.

Today I did my normal friday after work workout session. I went to the basketball court to shoot around and do a bunch of layups to work on jumping off and landing on the surgery leg. I was pleasantly pleased to find I was running after the ball a lot better today. Once done, I headed over to the gym for some more strengthening stuff and then cardio. When I was done, time for the normal stretching of the hip, calf, hamstring, quad and knee.

So wouldn't you know, while doing the cannonball my knee finally bent, on it's own, the same amount as the other knee. This probably isn't a huge milestone for some, or probably one they attain long before now, but for me it is huge. I've been doing this gawd-awful stretch everyday, multiple times a day, since I opened my eyes from surgery on Oct 20, 2009 and never once has it bent all the way without me forcing it. I have had full range of motion in this leg as far as heel-to-rump on my stomach for a while now, but still that cannonball I was missing a few degrees of ROM as compared to the other leg when I just bent it and relaxed and let gravity do the work.

Today that is no more.

I could not believe it. I was chatting with a very special friend and I looked down at my leg and I was like, wow it's bending a lot. So I brought the other leg up and almost crapped my pants I was so surprised to see them bent the same amount. I was grinning ear to ear. So now I must always stretch and chat to my friend at the same time. My leg apparently likes her very much. As it should. She played a big role in getting it straightened out.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2010, 04:38:54 PM »
Only a couple more days till I leave for TX!

I've been doing "fitness tests" so I know where I am before I get chopped up again. I went all in on layups, dribbling drills, and defense position drills at the court on Sunday, as these are the basketball activities that are the hardest and most painful. Monday I did the heaviest weights I could lift for my weight training session at the most reps I could muster. Yesterday for plyometrics my hip was killing me and I wasn't really able to run, but I did my single leg balancing and squatting activities to my limit along with the normal jumping stuff and the stairs. The three screws on the front of my leg felt like they were literally going to bust out of the front of my shin LOL. Still sore today. Basically I took the rehab plan and put in overdrive. It's good, I know where I stand in terms of what I can do and how much it hurts to do it LOL. I would still like to time my "sprints" but yesterday running was out, maybe tomorrow.

Took my bike out yesterday for some trail fun after the plyometrics. I haven't rode in a few weeks, but in general I've been riding a lot less tentative now since when I first started. My leg don't like all the impact, but that's nothing new. It's beautiful out today so I'm gonna try to get in one last ride.

I'm pretty excited about the trip and all the things I'm going to do while in TX that I almost am not even thinking about the surgery itself. I highly recommend planning lots of fun things to do right before a surgery--it helps take your mind of the surgery itself. Of course, when I'm in the gym or at home stretching, that is when I think about all the progress I've made in these 10 months and I'm not really looking forward to the setback of surgery. But :sigh: it is what it is, it's for the best. I'm certainly tired of the snapping and pain and irritation and the restless sleepless nights, so the rehab setback is a small price to pay. The bigger picture is promising!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:52:27 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline mtltwisty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #365 on: August 25, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new to this site and suffer from femoral anteversion. I live in Montreal, Canada and was wondering if you have any OS to refer me to in Canada. Dr Teitge was mentioned several times on this forum but I was wondering if you can give me contact information for other top rotation DRs in North America.

Thank you in advance,

Mtltwisty.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #366 on: August 25, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »
Hi Mtltwisty, welcome to KG.

I'm sorry I don't know any doctors in Canada, but I will PM you with the list of the doctors that I know of in the US. Sorry to read you are twisted too, but welcome to the club! Best of luck to you.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline mtltwisty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #367 on: August 25, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »
Thank you...
Also, I read on several posts reference to Dr Teitge's "famous article". Do you know where I can get a copy of this article?

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #368 on: August 25, 2010, 06:45:37 PM »
:-)

I will take care of you.

Latise
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #369 on: August 26, 2010, 01:57:04 AM »
Latise,

Less than a week to go until you are officially free of all metal!!!  How exciting for you indeed, and even more exciting if it helps alleviate the pain and issues as well!  Am sending you well wishes now as I returned to work and grad school this week so my free time is limited and didn't want to forget to send warm wishes your way!  Hope that this surgery doesn't set you too far back re: your recovery but it sounds like your strength is coming along nicely so that should definitely help get you up and running that much faster.  Have fun at the Dallas stadium-not a sports fan at all (hate how much they get paid when the education system is suffering so much but I guess that's the teacher in me) but my brother and nephew are huge Dallas fans and I know they are eager for the official season to start!

Can't wait to hear how it goes and if it provides the relief you are hoping for!

Beth
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #370 on: August 26, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »
Thanks Beth, I appreciate the well wishes. And hooray to your brother and nephew, let's go Cowboys!!! I hope work and school are going well for you, that is a lot to take on, but we do what we've got to do!

So my only update is that I'll probably be a late-morning surgery so I get to starve all morning waiting for my turn LOL. I told the nurse I'm gonna go to Sonic at 11:30 Monday night and load up since I can't eat after midnight. I don't envy my mother-in-law. She's going to have to deal with me Tuesday morning and I'm a mean person when I'm hungry! I'm going to have find something to occupy my time that morning. I'm thinking the hotel fitness center. It's either that or instant message my husband all morning complaining about being hungry.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline slmac

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #371 on: August 27, 2010, 12:47:11 AM »
I'm officially very jealous of you right now. You get to be metal free!!! That is so great. My doc knows I want my screws out, but is making me wait. It might be a while for me because if I wait to next year I wont be able to afford the procedure. hmmm.. I hope everything goes well and that you heal swiftly from your metal removal. It sounds like you are doing terrific! Keep it up.
Knee pain and issues during HS...played tennis
7/30/09 dislocations began
9/18/09 TTT (Fulkerson Osteotomy), MPFL Repair, and arthroscopic debridement
12/29/10 hardware removal
8/12 dislocations started
9/11/12 MPFL recon with allograft

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #372 on: August 27, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »
Hi Sandy! I hope you are doing well, you are almost 1-year post-op! Hmm, I'm getting chopped up, probably back on crutches, and getting set up the bomb in my rehab. Totally nothing to be jealous of! I'm jealous of the folks who get all this metal in them and don't even know it is there! Thanks for the well wishes and I hope you are able to convince your doctor to remove your screws before the end of the year!

So, I haven't much to update. I'm shipping out tomorrow for TX. I'm already missing my hubby and I haven't even left him yet. But at least this time it's only for 1 week, not 6!

I had my last workout in my gym yesterday, so I tried to make it memorable. Judging by the way my whole body feels today, I'm pretty sure I succeeded. I also got in one last ride on the mountain bike. I decided if there was a time to break myself up, now is it, so I left my little easy beginner trail, skipped the intermediate trail I was riding before surgery, and went straight to the hard one. This trail is mostly advanced, but it is in a big state park so there are parts one can stick to that aren't so bad. I've only rode there twice (both before surgery) and both times were epic fails, so needless to say I was a little worried. So, yeah, LOL, it was another epic fail. There were many parts I had to get off and walk, many times where my leg just felt awful trying to maneuver things, and I did crash once. The crash was at low speed though and I fell on the good side not the surgery one. As for my riding ability, well, I had fun but let's just say I'm not quite an advanced MTBer just yet LOL. But I didn't die, so that's good, and my leg sort of held up. Looking forward to the day when it doesn't bother me at all!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:31:17 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline NickiAnn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #373 on: August 28, 2010, 02:59:29 PM »
Good luck to you on the hardware removal!  I hope that the surgery is uneventful and your recovery quick.  The mountain biking sounds fun.  I think you have the right idea to live it up!

Nicole
1997 Diagnosed with miserable malalignment
Nov. 2011 Left leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies
July 2012 Right leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #374 on: August 31, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »
Well, my first 3 days in TX were a-w-e-s-o-m-e. Best time ever! And with the added bonus of keeping my mind off surgery and now I'm too tired to think about it. I'd rather reflect on where I've come from, where I've been, and where I'm going.

Now I'm onto the back 3 days of my time here, the part where I get cut on and cut up and unscrewed and "de-bionic-womaned" (I'm allowed to make up words if I want to). I'm to show up at the hospital at 8:30am. Maybe I won't die of starvation after all.

I did all standard operating procedures today at the clinic with pre-op interview and x-rays and everything. I was fortunate enough to have had all this done in the morning instead of the afternoon, as originally scheduled (Sanders Clinic for the win!). Freed up my afternoon to get to the stadium and also take care of things I needed to do without having to do a ton of driving back and forth. Considering I was running on 3 hours of sleep, that was even more of a blessing.

So nothing left to do now but to giterdone. I like saying giterdone. I'm not sure why, maybe I've been in TX too long.
Mar '07 - plica excision

support