Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 129859 times)

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #465 on: November 14, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »
Lizzy, glad to hear you're back on the road! The walking again really is difficuly. I actually didn't do well at it at all. I limped for a really long time, until I started doing some pool exercises. I didn't walk correctly until I practiced walking in the pool where I wasn't worried about weight or falling. That really helped, and then I eventually lost the limp.

I'm not doing too bad at all! It's for the most part really really good. I am SO happy that my hip doesn't pop or grind anymore. My only problem now is patience. I need to just chill and let everything heal, but i'm really not good at that. Walking is okay without anything at home, but when I go to school, the added weight of my backpack makes my hip KILL me, and then of course there is the 30 minute drive to and from school that doesn't help. So i've just been using crutches at school. I just need to quit whining and get in gear, but you all know how it is. I feel like I should be fine, because they didn't actually break any bones..... but it still really hurts sometimes! In the evenings and the mornings is the worst. The incision is still pretty painful. I don't dare touch it. It's been 16 days today, and I feel like it's been forever and I should be better by now.

Hope all is well with everyone else!
lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
« Reply #466 on: November 23, 2010, 09:33:33 PM »

Hi Lyndsey,

I had no idea you were having all that work done.  I was just there 11/04 to have my hardware removed.  We could have been hall mates!  Aren't the new digs fancy?

It sounds painful just reading what you had done, let alone living with it.  I just can't imagine walking with a 40 lb. backpack and crutches.  You will heal quickly like the first major surgery, and then you will be done.

It's a drag going back to no driving, especially around the Holidays.  My pain really spiked when I started PT again.  I'm assuming yours was not your right leg?

Just wanted to touch base and say how happy I am that he found the sources of the problem, and all is fixed.  Sorry about the long scar.  Hang in there, and don't ever worry about complaining.

Hugs,
Aree
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #467 on: November 24, 2010, 02:01:43 PM »
Hi Aree!

The worst part of it all was I had no idea I was having all that work done! I knew there was alot of pain in my hip, and I knew he would have to go in and fix it. I just had NO idea there was so much wrong. Yuck. The backpack and crutches is pretty difficult. The worst part is, I can walk pretty well, but it's painful after a while. So I really have to be careful. I have no restrictions, but yet pain seems to be pretty restricting itself this time.

I'm a tiny bit worried. It's been 3 and a half weeks since surgery, and it's still hurting me. If I do absolutely nothing it doesn't really hurt, and if I walk a little i'm okay. But the minute I do some stairs, or walk more than a little, i'm in pain. I thought i'd be able to go back to doing what I do by now. I know I can't ride for a while, but I thought walking would be okay. I can hear the voice of Dr. T's PA telling me I should be fine by now. lol. I guess i'm frustrated because thanksgiving is coming up, and if I take percocet i'm fine and can walk around really well, but then it wears off. I only have 10 left, so i'm going to have to really think about how much activity I want to do and how much pain I want to shoulder over this holiday. Ugh, sorry to vent again, i'm just really frustrated! On top of all that, the leg is still swollen and warm. Now, the incision itself looks AMAZING whoever sowed me up did a wonderful job.

Yep, it was my left leg, although I drive a standard, so i'm just now getting back to the swing of driving. Thanks for the message! :)

Take care and have a great Thanksgiving!!!!!!
Lyndsey

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
« Reply #468 on: November 24, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »
Hi Lyndsey,

I would expect you to still be in quite a bit of pain this soon out.  I think you should call Jessica and have her phone in some pain pills for you.  If you are in pain, then your body can't heal.  Plus, and I'm speaking from experience, at some point you just get tired of fighting the pain.  You have had many complications, and the whole recovery process can make you weary.  Dr. T. would have no problem with giving you more pain meds to get you through the Holidays.

I bet your scar is pretty.  The last thing I asked Dr. T. before I went into surgery, is if he would please stitch me up.  He did such a fantastic job with the first scar that it was barely noticable.  I always had sun screen on it, and I am very fair skinned, so I scar well.  People actually have complimented me on my scar, which always makes me laugh.  Only a caring surgeon of 30 years stitches from the inside so that it is one fine white line!

I hope you start to feel better soon.  Feel free to vent anytime.  It will slowly get better.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Aree

Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline WorkinWings

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Fixed my failed lateral release: back to flying!
    • Failed lateral release: medial subluxation of the patella
« Reply #469 on: November 26, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
BUMP!!!
This whole moving to the >300 posts section deserves congratulations, but has made this thread very hard to locate....
Cranker, dear....Howya doing?!?   We love success stories....Bring it on! 
Miss hearing from ya!
Come back to your (as well as Dr Sanders') thread!!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:04:08 PM by ClippedWings »
Feb'00: Twisting injury (w/"pop")
dx - bone bruise of lateral tibial plateau
Apr'00 to May'07: intermittent pain; NO instability
7/May/07: Lateral Release (which created instability)
17/Jan/08: dx - iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation s/p LR
16/Jan/09: Back to function!
[email protected]

drmark

« Reply #470 on: November 27, 2010, 02:47:52 AM »
Thanks ClippedWings.  But, I am honored to be on the same thread with Dr. Teitge

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #471 on: November 27, 2010, 05:16:13 AM »
Whoa. :D
It's nice to be missed! :)
I suppose I can bring myself out of my Thanksgiving food coma to update, especially since I have happy things to report.

Once I got the ok from Dr. Sanders to gradually increase my activities over a few weeks, naturally the first thing I did was go to the gym and run on the treadmill. I was curious to see how metal-free running would feel. It feels so much better, almost like normal. Movement is much more fluid and natural feeling. Maybe this isn't so special, since I've been able to "run" for a while, but it's nice to see and feel the improvement. It's not "running" anymore, it's just plain old running.

The second thing is bowling. It's much better now! Before the hardware removal, bowling was the suck--if you could even call it bowling. Taking a few steps and chucking the ball in pain is hardly bowling. It hurt so much in the thigh, around the plate, plus the snapping. But now, no snapping and only a little pain. It was a great feeling, to see and feel that progress, and to feel really optimistic about being able to get back into it.

I'm doing even more in the gym then I was before. It's a balance, trying to work hard without doing too much and hurting for days on end. I'm kind of figuring it out LOL. I'm lifting more than I was prior to hardware removal and doing lots of single leg-type exercises but with weights now and with less difficulty and pain. I still have pain in the thigh, which seems to be the source of the limp that won't die, but I suppose I just have to keep being patient and just working at it. No pain in the knee. :) No instability. :) No tibia pain, just numbness and tightness.

I'm planning on playing some pickup basketball soon now that I feel more confident about my running.

Thanks ClippedWings for checking up on me!

Thanks Dr. Sanders for being a great surgeon, for fixing me up, for going that extra mile for your patients, and for putting up with me through it all. I'm glad to have Dr. Teitge teaching us about this stuff and I'm honored to have you for a doctor.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:36:19 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #472 on: December 13, 2010, 02:46:25 AM »
Hey everyone! hope everyone is doing well.
So **update** with me, I'm little over 11 weeks post op. about three weeks are so ago , i stopped using the one crutch and have been getting around ok. I still have a limp in my right leg, that I'm desperately trying to get rid of before i go back to school and work.

No pain issues except for when i bend my knee, on the inside of my leg i get a sharp pain. they think its just a muscle or tendon that just has been used in months.
The doctor said my bones are fully healed and are looking nice. I def. can see improvement in the alignment of my knee compared to my left knee.
Heres a picture of my legs together

heres a picture of the hardware in my tibia

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #473 on: December 14, 2010, 10:15:40 PM »
lizzy, crazy hardware! The limp truly took me almost a year to get rid of, and it was never gone completely until the hardware removal. Even now, i'm a little over 6 weeks out of dr. t repairing my tendon and shaving the bone, and I still limp, especially after a long day. Glad to hear you are doing well!

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #474 on: December 16, 2010, 04:21:23 AM »
im not getting my hardware removed

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #475 on: January 14, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »
Hey everyone! It's been about 4.5 months since my hardware removal and arthroscopy and wow like 14 months since my derotation surgery. Time flies when you're having fun?!

I think I'm doing pretty well if my lack of updating this thing is any indication. It must mean I'm off living my life and not thinking about my leg anymore. ;D

I've been using running as one of my gauges of progress and I'm super happy to post that running is not an issue for me. It feels almost normal, definitely doesn't hurt, and I can jog a mile faster now then I could before the surgery, and possibly faster then I could 10 years ago. I'm looking forward to playing basketball come spring time.

I have bowled a few more times since posting last, and it's better with each outing. As long as I don't push it too far, my thigh doesn't hurt much after ward. Strength in the upper part of my leg is still a bit of an issue, so I need to keep working it. It doesn't affect me at all in day to day stuff or with running, but squatting type things like bowling, the weakness is evident. I've been asked to bowl on a good team in a really competitive league in the fall so it's time to really focus more on bowling and elevating my game.

I still have some pain and irritation and soreness, mostly where the femur work was done, but nothing to complain about. My biggest focus is on having all my strength back--and more. The elliptical seems to be the best piece of equipment for this, along with the stationary bike and exercises like squats and lunges. What I've learned from the hardware removal though, after being made to sit still for a few weeks, is that giving my thigh some time to chill really is helping more than anything. I have seen a lot of improvement in that area by backing off. I still notice improvements in strength so I must be getting it right.

So there it is. I'm still alive and kicking! I'm pretty satisfied with my results and very happy with my choice to travel to Dr. Sanders to have it done right and all at once. Rock on! Sanders Clinic for the win!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:28:48 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #476 on: January 16, 2011, 02:39:28 AM »
Loved reading your post you sound AWESOME so happy for you,  Kate is doing awesom in Basketball nothing new to report which is a really good thing.

congrats on your success

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #477 on: February 07, 2011, 02:56:05 AM »
Read your advice on a post was great advice

Hope your doing well, lost your post during all the moving around so glad to see your still out here and doing well

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #478 on: February 07, 2011, 03:03:06 AM »
Thanks! Glad to see you still hanging around as well. Super glad to read that things are still going well for Kate!

I think I'm doing pretty well...no complaints :)
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #479 on: February 20, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
Still remember your first post glad you have no complaints and all is well!!!!!!!! Same in NC she has her last game tomorrow for Basketball and it was a fun season, sorry to see it end not sure what I will do Friday nights next year....lol   Coming up on two years soon and she is a success glad you are as well.

Nice to catch up keep up the good work

support