Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 130279 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »
Well I'm wrapping it up after what felt like a rather long day. Boy, I hope the rest don't take this long. Thanks for the votes of confidence!

Sandra, I can't imagine taking care of a baby in the state I'm in, so major kudos to you for making it through. I can't even imagine how emotionally, mentally, and physically draining it was to have to care for not only yourself but your precious cargo too.

So I carved a pumpkin with my mother-in-law (well she carved, i sat on the deck and watched) and that helped pass the time.

But let me get to the reason I signed in. It struck me during the pumpkin adventure that I've seen some people ask about the pain levels for something like this and how much the femur hurts versus the tibia. I just wanted to share that everyone's pain is different. For me, the femur is more of annoyance than anything. It doesn't hurt nearly as much as the tibia, nor did it ever. It's just annoying because the whole outside of my thigh is tight and its just unrelenting and no matter how I move or sit it just doesn't quit.

The tibia on the other hand hurts a little more for me. When I go to a standing position, that is where I feel the throb as the blood starts to flow. That is where I feel the discomfort if my leg feels like it is going to twist in the slightest. The incision area is just below the knee, to the outside like near the tibial tubercle and extends quite a ways down my leg. Everything to the inside of my knee feels "normal" and everything lateral, to the outside of the incision is just one big lump of pressure. Pressing on it feels like touching on your skin when your limbs go to sleep. Near the IT band connection to the tibia, to the back of my leg is very sensitive and this is where I get the owie pain occasionally.

So far, the pain has just been more of annoyance, like a dull ache. The tightness and pressure seems to be the killer really. Just no way to get comfortable. But at least I'm not in a lot of pain. I haven't taken anything, tylenol or otherwise for a full 24 hours now.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 01:16:47 AM »
10/29/2009
9 days post-op

I write the date because otherwise I wouldn't know what the date is or even what day of the week it is!

Short post. Physical therapy today, then a little frustrated "funk" moment afterward, feeling like I'm doing so much work and can't catch a break for just 5 minutes of sheer comfort. But it passed. Came home, napped, and was surprised and happy to find that my mood was better and I had a better day today. Less restless, and maybe even felt better, just a little.

I got my first shower at the inlaws. They didn't get the seat and detachable shower head till yesterday and i refused to try with out them. It went well. It works out that i can get off the seat and step out of the shower so I don't have to worry about crutches in the wet shower. And they have a door (with a ledge I have to step over--scary) so the floor outside stays dry.

I took a spin on the bike for about 10 minutes and was happy to find that my stability has improved since monday, but the outside is very tight so going around feels really creepy.

Tomorrow we are going to ride and get manicures & pedicures. It's going to feel good to have my feet done (i meant to do it before the surgery), but i'm a little weary about the car ride, which I don't know why, I rode an hour in the car before. I already know that I'm going to forewarn the stylist that she better not twist my foot else she will be met with a crutch to the face and that will be her only warning!
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline CHILLYdogs

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Mush!!!
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 02:39:18 AM »
Woah! Woah! Woah!

Do NOT twist that feisty crankerchick!!! Don't you know she's just been through a whole lot to get UN-twisted??
And watch out:
Don't mess with Doc Sanders' superior handiwork, either!  ;D
That's right, Latise.  Protect your new goods with all weapons at hand.
That stylist don't know who she's messin' with...

Great to hear of the fantastic job you've been doing.
Hang in there!

[email protected]

contralateral BPTB ACLr: Nov'08
back to sports, no restrictions: Feb'09
( yep!! that's @ 12 weeks post-op :-)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Doc Sanders!!!!!!
(http://www.sandersclinic.net/)

Offline CHILLYdogs

• Regular Poster
  • Mush!!!
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2009, 02:49:19 AM »
PS:
What's your range of motion?
How does the hardware feel??
[email protected]

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »
10/30/2009
10 days post op

So today has been a pretty good day. I got up around 8 to get ready to leave the house by 10. I did my exercises, dressed, and had breakfast then we left for the nail salon. It went well. The pedicurist was very gentle--no need for me to threaten her at all!. I'm not really a "high maintenance" woman, in fact, mani/pedis are my one claim to "girliness" and I probably only do them every 4 months. But having my feet in the bubbling water felt wonderful, and getting my feet cleaned up helps mentally since I have different people helping me lotion my feet and put on socks after bathing.

The outing was kind of long, and there is nothing comfortable about riding in the car at all, but I made it through and it was nice to be out of the house and not trying to figure out what to do with myself.

I rested for a bit when we got back, then did my exercises again and rode the bike. I made it about 10 minutes. The outside of leg, just below my knee, is just so tight that every revolution, while not painful, is just not very fun. But things feel looser after doing it, so that's good.

I'm not sure my range of motion, we didn't measure at therapy. Dr. Sanders said to compare to my good leg, and when I do the cannonball and compare to my good leg, i'm almost the same. I guess when I go to therapy on tuesday I will ask to measure ROM again.

I think I can feel the plate on the tibia, on the outside area. My skin is real hard and sensitive there, but its also numb too. That is the area that feels really tight too. I'm wondering if the sharp owie pain I've felt in the area a few times is the IT band on the plate. For my thigh, I don't think I can feel the hardware at all so far. I'm pretty "meaty" out there though. I think its too early to tell either way though.

TOnight the inlaws are having some family over and we are having dinner, so I have a full night on my hands too.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline CHILLYdogs

• Regular Poster
  • Mush!!!
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2009, 12:48:51 AM »
Latise, dear!

You have been doing such a great job, on top of the outstanding job done by Doc Sanders, that your recovery is sounding refreshingly uneventful  ;)
Keep it up, and keep posting on your progress, please!  It makes me very happy to read how well it's all turning out.

So how's your Halloween going?

Are you all dressed up as a big ol' scary BLADE plate??     ;D
[email protected]

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2009, 02:49:46 AM »
10/31/2009
11 days post-op

Well, since I have an audience, here's today's update. Nothing special to report. Stayed home the whole day, but developed into a schedule. Up at ~8, exercise, bike for 20 minutes, then breakfast + ice, then a shower. The shower, while not terrible hard the other day, went more smooth today. I'm still scared when I exit the shower, because of the little ledge, but beyond that, smooth and refreshing.

After lunch I did the exercises again and another session on the bike for 20 minutes. I'm noticing greater control over my limb, although I still can't do a straight leg raise.

The extensions remain uncomfortable. I'm going to email my doctor about them. They don't hurt, but they are just really uncomfortable and also I'm worried about the stress it puts on the TTO site. I guess I just need some reassurance that they are ok to do. So many people that have a TTT aren't allowed to do those types of exercises so soon.

So that it is it. Tomorrow a cousin that i have met only once or twice is going to visit, so that will break up my day some. We didn't get any trick-or-treaters, so I didn't get to show off my fancy costume. I disguised myself as a patient that just went through a triple osteotomy 11 days ago. Suprisingly, wasn't too hard to pull off.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline WorkinWings

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Fixed my failed lateral release: back to flying!
    • Failed lateral release: medial subluxation of the patella
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2009, 09:27:45 PM »
cranker! cranker!

I just posted on your old thread, "TTT-type Surgery suggested--weighing options"

I thought we all would benefit from the cross-linking of your valuable threads:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=46796.0

I really feel confident that I have done better research now and gotten opinions from the right people. Although I'm not going to have the procedure done with Dr. Teitge, this is only because after reading over his papers and corresponding with him, there are few things that Dr. Sanders does differently and I prefer his approach on these key details.

I plan on starting a post-op journal as I get closer to my surgery date. I think it will be helpful on the forum for people to be able to read about my derotational experience, considering most of the girls on here have had their procedures done by Dr. Teitge. Hopefully mine will be a success story too. I believe it will be. At the least, I'll be able to say I gave it my best effort and made the decision that seemed right to me.

Wow, cranker! 

Somehow I had completely missed the updates from this thread and never did read this post of yours from back in September...

I have, though, been keeping an eye on your post-op diary, and have been very impressed with your recovery.

We don't see enough success stories here on KGs, so I thought it was important enough to revive this thread and to include a link here to your diary, so that all that had been following your story can go take a look at how well you have been doing.

Plus, I am sure that you could use the support...  Even as smoothly as everything is going, it has to be a challenge for you emotionally to be recovering far away from home, at your in-laws--no matter how wonderful they might be  ;)

So, here's the link to crankerchick's post-op diary, everyone:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=49136.0

I am so grateful that you have been sharing your story. I'm sure many others here have been, as well.
Future visitors to this thread should also benefit from your inspiring journey.

TTTs, lateral releases... It is very scary how often these are such misguided, damaging procedures.
It is also tremendously frustrating that this vital information is almost impossibly hard to obtain.

Here's to your continued success: an inspiration to us all!

Thank you so much for showing us a better way.

WorkinWings
(formerly ClippedWings)

I hope you are continuing to do well.  Let us know!

PS-I'm in mourning: Little Manning had a really baaaaaaaaad day, today  :'(
Let's hope Brett can deliver.........
Feb'00: Twisting injury (w/"pop")
dx - bone bruise of lateral tibial plateau
Apr'00 to May'07: intermittent pain; NO instability
7/May/07: Lateral Release (which created instability)
17/Jan/08: dx - iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation s/p LR
16/Jan/09: Back to function!
[email protected]

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 04:45:26 AM »
Thanks for cross-linking the threads. Hopefully in the future no one will have any problems keeping track of my long sordid history LOL!

11/1/2009
12 days post-op

Nothing much changing day by day. We went to my mother-in-law's sister's house for breakfast, so another trip in the car. I get in pretty easily, just take my time and bend the knee and twist in. I usually put the seat back some to get in, but I could get in with all the way back or all the way forward. It's also a lot easier to get in without shoes on. My sneakers probably have 1-inch sole, so not having them on is huge. Car rides themselves kind of suck because the seat is tilted in a way that starts to dig in the back of my legs. And the seatbelt pushes into my side, ride where the femur incision is. It doesn't hurt, its just uncomfortable.

I sat at the table with everyone like a normal person for breakfast. It felt good to "join society" instead of eating from a tray on the couch. I was actually comfortable sitting on the couch there, with the huge ottoman to rest my leg on. It was notably the first time I sat "comfortably" since the surgery, instead of just sitting and feeling miserable. I guess I'm making progress.

I did 2 sessions on the bike. I know when I'm done because I start to feel wobbly and shaky around my foot. My thigh and shin feel fine (except for the tightness) but I guess my foot gets tired because I don't move it too much. The wobbly feels like my leg might twist, so I call it quits. Also of note, my shower today we figured out how to get over the ledge in a less scary way. Its not a step down, but just something I have to step over, but i don't want to put the crutches in the stall because it's wet. We just put the crutches as close to the ledge as we can, then step out with the good foot, with my mother-in-law standing in front of me to help make sure I don't fall forward. Its a lot less scary then how we did it before.

It also sucks, I think I am coming down with a cold :-(
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 04:47:03 AM »
Oh yes, and....

How 'bout them cowboys!!!
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Tailwind

• Regular Poster
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »
Hey, I've been so busy on our osteotomy board that I missed your surgery. By my quick scan of the posts, its seems like you are doing ok. I need to back and read them more carefully when I have a few minutes.

I will check in again. Hang in there!
10/06 - Man v. Dog Collision
12/07 - Meniscus Trim
4/08, 12/08 - Synvisc
6/09 - Diagnostic Arthroscopy
8/09 - DFO

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »
Hi! So glad to hear you are doing well!

Unfortunately, the uncomfortableness from the seatbelt lasts for a while.....as does not being able to lay on that side. That's great you can start to sit comfortably! I don't know exactly why, but since my left femoral derotation, sitting up in hard chairs, like in class, really bothers me after a while, and it's almost been a year! Sitting through my 3 hour night class is almost unbearable by the end. Hopefully after the plates come out on the 16th that will all go away. So you don't have a whole lot of pain from the femoral hardware? Did they use a blade plate and screws? Are you going to have the hardware taken out down the road?

Hang in there! Every day gets a little better!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »
Hi lyndsey, thanks for the reply. I'm sure you can't wait for the 16th! Hopefully things will improve for you after removal and you can finally have good days without paying for it later.

So far, I don't believe I can feel the femoral hardware. The plates are tomofix plates (by synthes) and screws. They are different from Dr. Teitge's angle blade plate. I won't have the hardware taken out unless it is bothersome. My doctor doesn't think they will be bothersome at all, given their low profile and my size. I'm 6'2" and not skinny (his words are "meaty") so the belief is I will have zero problems. I guess only time will tell.

I thought I might was feeling the tibia plate, since there is a hardness I can feel laterally, just below the joint line of my knee. I asked my doctor and he said that was very unlikely, as the plate is only 3-5 mm in thickness depending on where its being measured and I have "lots of meat" there. He said its just my inflamed tissue from the surgery and to give it time. The bike minimally helps with the tightness in that area, but the ankle pumps are good for keeping the area at least lose enough to bend without pain. I don't think at this time I'm feeling the femur at all. All I feel is a little bit of tightness in my thigh, and maybe a twinge from the incision if roll too far to one side or the other.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline slmac

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »
Latise, I have one of those little lips to step over in my shower too and I swear it might as well have been two feet high at first! For a long while I was stuck sitting on the shower chair with my leg sticking out the door of the shower. Now that I can bend, I do a trick where I scoot the shower chair up to the door so my feet are both already out of the shower when I go to get out. It took me a while to come up with it, but it works and I'm comfortable showering by myself now. I just stand on the bath mat and tip the water off the shower chair, place it in the middle of the bathroom floor and sit on that for drying off and blow drying my hair. I only do minimal movement in the bathroom while I'm wet. Isn't it crazy how something so simple can be so dangerous?

I'm envious of you being able to cycle! Hats off to you. I don't have enough ROM yet to do the bike. Fingers crossed! That's great that you're getting around better and starting to be able to be more social...sitting at the table like a normal person sure is nice. Now that I can bend, it's great for me too...I don't feel like a social outcast anymore:-)
Knee pain and issues during HS...played tennis
7/30/09 dislocations began
9/18/09 TTT (Fulkerson Osteotomy), MPFL Repair, and arthroscopic debridement
12/29/10 hardware removal
8/12 dislocations started
9/11/12 MPFL recon with allograft

Offline sarbah77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2009, 11:46:31 PM »
slmac, I thought I was the ONLY person with that problem in my shower stall!

Of course, I bought a folding shower stool so, er, scooting with it means that it folds up.  My dad came over and put in a hand held shower head for me in the other bath.
-Sarah

11/16/10 - plate removal, FINALLY
4/5/10 - no, really, crutch-free
2/1/10 - crutch-free!?
10/13/09 - HTO opening wedge
6/26/09 - arthroscopic plica removal
4/06 - Synvisc/cortisone injections
7/5/05 - arthroscopic plica removal & surprise microfracture