Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 144361 times)

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #435 on: October 15, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
I was driving within a week of my surgery.  It wasn't easy to get in and out of the car, but once in, driving was no problem.  My OS was not crazy about me driving so soon, but understood the reality.  I had no one to drive me to appts... or my children to school.  His biggest concern was the use of narcotics while driving.  I told him there was no way I would get behind the while if I took narcotics.  Since pain has not been an issue for me, narcotics have not been necessary. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #436 on: October 15, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »
I had no driving restrictions, but that probably it's my left leg. I would assume driving restrictions would be in place if it were my right leg. It makes sense, because you need to be able to slam that brake if necessary. You probably shouldn't break someone's driving leg in half, spin it around, and then allow them to operate a motor vehicle while it heals. Not safe for the patient or those on the road either. That 30# restriction is there for a reason.

Now, I hope I'm eating my words because if I let my doc unspin my right leg, I'll want to drive too, so here's to hoping I'm wrong and that my doc would let me drive LOL.

I know what you are going through, it was very similar for me, as I was in TX for my first week after surgery (in a city where the hang out spot is the Super Wal-mart) and then with my in-laws in Atlanta for the next 5 weeks. No friends, family, or husband there. I pretty much spent my time in my room, on the couch, or on the stationary bike. Some days were tough, but I just reminded myself what was good about the arrangement: having people to help me (or not, if i so desired), having my meals made for me, having chauffeurs LOL, and basically just not having to worry about anything but getting better. Sure it sucked, but it wasn't so bad. There are certainly worse situations to be in then being waited on, sleeping when I felt like it, not having to go to work, and *gasp* having a free pass to sit around.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline sarbah77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #437 on: October 15, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »
Well, I was unable to drive for 16 or 17 weeks after my HTO.  It was on my right leg, so I knew going in that it was going to be a very long time before I could be independent.  It did suck but it was all part of the "suck" to get to the outcome I was aiming for.  And I had 6 weeks total NWB and 6 weeks of 25lb weight bearing so it was a very very long haul.  It's too bad that you didn't get clarification from your OS before surgery - sometimes, it's easier to deal with it when you know ahead of time.  But it IS a broken leg and until you can stomp that brake without injuring yourself, that's kind of how it goes.

But in the meantime, queue up those chauffeurs and do what you can!  Or make them do what they can. :)
-Sarah

11/16/10 - plate removal, FINALLY
4/5/10 - no, really, crutch-free
2/1/10 - crutch-free!?
10/13/09 - HTO opening wedge
6/26/09 - arthroscopic plica removal
4/06 - Synvisc/cortisone injections
7/5/05 - arthroscopic plica removal & surprise microfracture

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #438 on: October 16, 2010, 01:55:47 AM »
Oh, wow. 16 weeks without driving? I'd die! I'm constantly hopping in my car and driving 4 hours for a 2 day trip home to see family, so I can't imagine doing that for 4 months! During my last surgery, left leg, I wasn't allowed to drive while I was on pain killers but once I was off them I could. The only problem I has was my 0 degree ROM. I drive a 95 VW Jetta and I'm 5'8". Not exactly an easy task to accomplish!

I had my TTT done 9 days ago and I could drive now if I was completely off the pain killers, but I just don't think I could fit in my car seat yet. After the 20th I'll be able to bend at 45 degrees. I honestly think my OS did that so I could get a bit of my independence back! At least I'll be able to drive myself to my PT appointments!
'04 - '10: Years of dislocations & subluxations

01/13/2010 - LR, MR, VMO Advancement
10/06/2010 - Fulkerson Osteotomy (TTT)
09/02/2011 - Scheduled MPFLr

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #439 on: October 17, 2010, 11:23:27 AM »
I totally understand the frsutration and mental status!! I am 6.5wks post op and I tried to get into my mid size car today.. boy what a task that was. I was "released" from the immobilizer 3 days ago, if I still had that clunker on there would be no way in heck I could even attempt to get into the car. So anyway, I gave it a bash but my problem is I dont have enough ROM to sit far enough back in the seat, as I still cant bend the op leg much (the op leg is the non-driving leg of course). My ROM is only about maybe at best 35 degrees, its gotten stiffer since the immobilizer came off, which is really frustrating! I just want to start driving, its like being a prisoner in your own house!

Crankerchick, do you mind checking in on Duckies diary, coz I posted some (very crappy quality photos of my) xrays of my TTT (sorry, but I only got films, and no CD of the xrays) I am very concerned about the way it was done and am wondering if the reason why I still have lots of pain and lack of ROM. From what I can tell my ROM is well behind most people at this stage. I'd be very interested to hear what you make of it..
Thanks a mil,
Kat
12/9 - Substantial Subluxation of L patella due to a fall
12/9 - 2/10 - PT for injury
3/10 - PT rehab (non responsive)
5/10 - Referred to OS
6/10 - Diagnosed Maltracking & patella alta
9/10 - TTT with LR
10/10 - VMO atrophy & muscle imbalance
11/10 - Diagnosed with Femoral Nerve Inflammation

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #440 on: October 17, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »
I was allowed to bend my leg from the start (in fact required to bend it knee to chest starting from day 0), so I didn't have any problems getting in the car or driving or anything from the start. My issue was being a passenger in some cars, the seatbelt would dig right up on the femoral incision, ouchie ouch! And my mother-in-law bless her heart she thought her vehicle was "better" for me because it was an SUV and high up on the ground. Fail. Whoever thinks the Lexus SUV is roomy must not have been tall because I'm 6'2" and sitting in that truck my knees were just barely not touching the dash. I rode in that thing with clenched teeth, both from that dang seatbelt and from my knee perched precariously close to the dash. And she's not the most attentive driver...

Try not to be frustrated with your ROM, that period of immobilization does a number on ROM and strength but now that you are free of it and allowed to bend, things should improve rapidly if you work it (with permission of course). The stationary bike, heel slides, prone quad stretch, and cannonballs are your best friends in that endeavor.

Hopping over to Duckie's thread now.
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #441 on: October 17, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »
The care really makes a difference.  My car, Honda CRV, is so much more comfortable for than my husband's PT Cruiser.  When I drive, there is a little spot between the parking brake and the side of the car that is the perfect spot to rest my foot.  At first, it would take a minute to get my leg situated just right.  Now that I can unlock my brace more, it is much easier.  In the PT Cruiser, we keep a small card board box that I use as a foot rest.  In my friend's Toyota Rav4, I put my crutches between the passenger seat and driver's seat at an angle, creating the perfect angle to rest my leg. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline smartdriver

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #442 on: October 17, 2010, 03:50:43 PM »
With both left and right HTOs I was driving a week after surgery since I had to get back to work.  As long as I wasn't taking narcotics, I could drive  :)  I'm 5' 9" and drive a MINI and fortunately, the doors actually open quite wide so getting in and out wasn't too bad.  It was worse trying to get the crutches in and out than it was getting me in and out!  Still didn't prevent me from stopping and getting my morning Starbucks fix...If they weren't super busy they would carry my coffee to my car for me.  But, I did figure out a way to carry a small tote bag to put my cup of coffee in without spilling a drop - sweet!!!!

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #443 on: October 17, 2010, 04:32:27 PM »
I can bend my knee and everything. i can even get in and out of my car fine . i even pushed down no the brakes and gas.... no pain. but the stupid doctor wants me to wait. its fustrating for me. im not a person who likes to just around.

yea it does suck that he didnt inform me well, he said no more than 25lbs of weight bearing for six weeks but not about the driving

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #444 on: October 17, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »

does anyone elses look like this ?

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #445 on: October 17, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »
Lizzy, I don't know what you had done, but I had a TTT only. 10 months ago I had a VMO Advancement, Medial Reefing, and Lateral Release. I'll post a photo. You can see my old scar to the bottom right of the photo and my new incision next to a quarter (that's the TTT.)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #446 on: October 17, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »
Lizzy, my incision is not curved like yours. It is very straight, but it is about the length of yours. It is about 8" in length. The femur incision is about the same. My tibia plate was about 5" in length, perhaps a bit shorter. I had staples on my incisions after the derotation and dissolvable stitches after the removal.

Duckie, our incisions are bigger than yours because we don't just have screws, but instead plates for fixation.  The tibia is broken in half and rotated so screws alone wont do the job of course. My tibia plate was small compared to the femur plate, but the incisions are about the same size.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #447 on: October 17, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »
CrankerChick, I knew you had a lot done...I wasn't sure what had happened to Lizzy, though! :)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #448 on: October 17, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »
Ah, I wasn't sure how of much of this long thread you had forced yourself to sit through LOL. Lizzy had a femur derotation first, and then a tibial deroration. I believe she posted the details a few posts back in the jumble LOL. Just saw your op report, thanks for sharing!
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline lizzy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #449 on: October 18, 2010, 01:14:11 AM »
Yea I am not quite sure why mine is curved. When the doctor was first talking to me about it, he told me it would be straight sort of looking like a knee replacement incision but longer. I wake up and I have this curve incision , I havent yet get to ask him why it is like that.  I go back on the third to get an xray to make sure my tibia is healing, and than hopefully get the approval to drive. *fingers crossed*

My femur rotation scars are all down my leg, my top incision is about three inches long, and than i have four other sets of cuts,

these are the bottom incision, the three scars that are together are where i have three screws

this is the top incision where they put the rod through

three together are three screws in the upper part of the femur and the one alone is where the bone was cut at

I hope to be able to get to see my xray for my tibia when i go in next time

sorry im putting all these picture on your discussion board.

support