Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 142794 times)

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2010, 03:45:08 AM »
Latise,

After alot of thought and talking with different people, I think what i'm going to do is take the 3 classes I need in the fall to graduate, and then graduate in December. If I decide to go to grad school I can take those 3 prereq classes in the spring at the community college. It would be cheaper! lol. So now I need to call my advisor and the registrar's office at school and make sure it's okay that i'm changing all of this and talk to them.... The courses should be a little difficult, but not impossible. The 3 I need to graduate will probably actually be easier than the prereqs because I know alot about them. I'm really good at my political science courses... and the teachers all know me and my situation. They know i'm a hard worker, and a good student. So they work with me. The 3 prereqs all involve math, and math and I don't get along to begin with... so if I add pain and drugs I know I will not do well. So I think i'm going to skip those.... at least for now.

Thanks for hearing me out and giving me sound advice! You're a lifesaver, you really are!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2010, 07:39:41 PM »
Wow, sounds like hip issues following the derotational osteotomy is par for the course!  Since I am just beginning on this journey (only 1 week post-op today), anything one would recommend to help with this issue from the beginning?  Is there are one particular thing you have found to help or hinder the situation?  I know we are going to target this in PT as well but not sure what others have found to be helpful.

Lyndsey....I know how difficult things can be trying to juggle surgery with school and still trying to maintain a semi pain free lifestyle, all while dealing with insurance issues.  I think your plan of taking the 3 classes you need to graduate should work well!  Perhaps you can even schedule surgery for later in the semester, depending on your class syllabi, when things sort of wind down as the semester ends; maybe over Thanksgiving break?  Not sure what your age is, but I thought they had just recently passed the law re: coverage of dependents and changed the ages when dependents are still able to be covered on their parents' policy being a student and not.  Can't remember what it is off hand but might be something to look into, if you haven't already.  Hopefully things will allow you to pursue attending grad school as well.  I am set to start in the fall and am wondering if I will be healed enough to do so but that is my plan.  Not sure what will happen come next summer-need to do an internship for my grad program but that's also when I would plan on doing the surgery on the L leg.  So many things to contemplate and deal with while trying to pursue our educational goals in life!!!

Hope all is well with everyone!

Beth
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2010, 08:19:43 PM »
Hi Beth! Been reading your post-op thread, welcome to the half-twisted club!

The biggest thing I would suggest is stretch stretch stretch that hip! Stretch the external and internal rotators, hip flexors, quad, all of it. Massage those areas (myofascial and deep tissue) too.

When I went back to my doctor at 6 months post-op, the trainer there showed me a bunch of stretches for the hip that I do now along with weekly or biweekly visits to a massage therapist.

I guess I should clarify, when I say hip I don't mean specifically in my hip joint. My hip joint is just fine. What hurts for me is the area around the femoral incision. Specifically, when I engage the muscles to abduct the hip, it is still pretty sore. When I attempt external rotation like to cross my legs it hurts a ton. When I sit like at a desk, everything throbs in the outer thigh. Certain motions make a snapping in my outer thigh that at best is annoying and at worse outright hurts.

On a good note though, the soreness to touch in that area has gotten better, especially with the massages now. I can lay on that side and have been able to for a while now. I do a lot on the foam roller which helps to loosen things up too, in addition to helping get rid of the soreness to touch. Of course the foam roller is evil. Necessary, but evil!

I mostly just try to ignore it keep with the stretching and strengthening. As I say all too often, it is what it is.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »
Hey Latise! Have been gradually reading through your thread and finally reached page 22 today - what a journey you've been on! Makes my little ACLr seem like child's play in comparison. Long may the good progress continue, and here's to a future full of mountain bikes and bowling balls. :)

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #319 on: July 15, 2010, 10:40:28 PM »
Hi Snowy, wow I can't believe you read this whole thread! That is a feat in and of itself LOL. I just got in from working out and was feeling kind of beat. Your post is just the pick me up I needed. Me and the hubster are about to go shoot some baskets in this heatwave LOL. I want to get in some jumping while the hip is still good and loose. Keep up the good progress with that ACL and you will be back on the ski slopes in no time. :)
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2010, 02:25:10 AM »
A knee strong enough to shoot baskets - now that's an inspiring thought for me to work toward! I climbed the stairs to our roof deck today and that little trip felt like an epic journey. :) One step at a time...
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #321 on: July 16, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »
Shooting baskets and climbing stairs! Sounds good!  :D I was happy I rode my sisters horse for a little while yesterday. It was really nice to ride! I think that aggrivates the tendon snapping though, maybe it's the position my hips have to be in.... ?

Anyways, I went to school yesterday and redid my class schedule. Now I have 3 semi-difficult classes, and one that I have to have to graduate, and I think it may be borderline hard. But, it's a better schedule than 6 hard classes. The only thing is, they are every day. I'm hoping that I can be back in the classroom a week after surgery.... that's my goal. We'll see. lol.

Kay, I can't believe you read the whole thread! Whew! I do think hip issues come with the derotatation. I guess how many issues depends though. Because my right hip is great, but my left is awful.... and they both had the same thing done to them. I'm going to get my dad to check with his healthcare provider to see what the plan is for healthcare..... that would be wonderful if i'm automatically on full insurance until i'm 26.

Lyndsey

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2010, 04:33:32 PM »
Today I am 9 months post-op.

It's great to be able to walk around without my kneecap going nuts. Stability is wonderful. Confidence is wonderful.

I still work out according to my Houston trainer's plan, but of course change it up to add in new, harder exercises. I work with a personal trainer twice a week also.

I've been going to the basketball court to shoot around. I shoot a lot of layups to work on jumping off and landing on the surgery leg, which sucks terribly for my hip. Single leg ball wall squats feel equally awful. My agility/dexterity seems to be improving though, as I can start to make quicker "cutting-type" movements on some of the drills I do.

When I think about my activity level right before the surgery, I was so limited in what I could do and what I felt comfortable to do. But now I can do a lot, even if it does hurt or is hard, I can at least do it.

Still no real running, but jogging is getting better. Bowling is still a ways off it seems. I tried a few weeks ago and it was pretty rough on my hip, and that wasn't even attempting to really bowl "normally" but just kind of walking up there and chucking it.

So that's where I'm at, just trying to stay positive. The pain and irritation in the hip and on the tibia are pretty frustrating and taxing, both physically and mentally, but I just trying to ignore and keep pushing and be patient and give it more time and work. I don't know how much more healing is in my future at 9 months post-op, but considering how the hip and shin still feel, I hope the answer is a lot LOL!

ETA:
For my more silent "high-flying" followers that like it when I give shout outs: Sanders Clinic RULEZ!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:12:33 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #323 on: July 21, 2010, 09:39:52 PM »
Sounds like there has been a great deal of improvement over the past 9 months and although there are still some limitations of sorts, sounds like you are better off from the surgery!  That is very promising to hear for someone who is just starting out on the road to recovery!

Sounds like your hip is still causing you some pain and irritation-just wondering if you've had your hardware removed yet or not and if not, if your surgeon thinks that could be a contributing factor?  Also, did you only have the osteotomies done on one leg or both?  If only on one, does your other leg need to be done as well?  I need to get the other leg done as well and am just trying to figure out when I'd be able to do so, as the R leg definitely needs to be strong enough to do all the work while the L leg heals.  Right now, looks like next summer but that's going to interfere w/grad school so who knows what will happen!

Congrats on being 9 months post-op!!!  Pretty soon, it will be a year post-op and you'll wonder where the time went I'm sure!

Here's to continued improvement, strength, and flexibility!

Beth
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #324 on: July 21, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »
Hi Beth, I hope you are coming along in your recovery. I know how those first few weeks are!

I am definitely better off from the surgery, there's no doubt about that. No regrets on going to TX to get checked out or on going back to get untwisted.

My right leg has the same things going on as the left, but the left has always been the real problem child. I am not trying to untwist it at this time, I'm just grin and bearing it, hopefully forever LOL!

I still have the hardware. I had a follow up at 6 months post-op and when I showed the doctor where it hurt on the tibia, he immediately said to come back in 6-12 months and have it out. For the hip, there was still soft-tissue inflammation and muscle tightness to account for before blaming all the problems on the plate. The consensus was to continue to work on strengthening and flexibility in the mean time. So far the strength and flexibility continues to improve but the discomfort/pain and snapping remains.

I'm pretty confident the discomfort around the tibia is from the hardware, as the problem areas line up exactly with the metal. That makes it a lot easier to be ok with taking it out. The hip though, drives me nuts to think about whether to have the hardware out or not, because the recovery from the femur work has been so much harder and in the back of my mind I worry about it not being better after hardware removal. But that is a worry with any surgery--worrying that it won't work.

I will just talk it over with the doc as time gets closer and I'm sure, just as before, it will be clear to me the best course of action to take.

I hope your recovery is going well so far! The first few weeks are tough but it gets better :-)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:34:39 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #325 on: July 22, 2010, 02:09:13 PM »
Latise,
It's a definite worry whether or not hardware removal will stop the pain.... look at me, I thought for sure that the snapping and grinding would stop once the plates came out. Unfortunately, it didn't! I will tell you though, that for me, harware removal was pretty easy compared to the actual derotation. I only spent 1 night in the hospital, and was walking the day after. I was really glad to have my hardware out.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #326 on: July 22, 2010, 03:01:54 PM »
Thanks Lyndsey. My doctor said the hardware removal wouldn't be bad, just wouldn't be allowed to play football for 6 weeks LOL. Maybe no nights in the hospital, we would play it by ear. I already decided the crutches won't even go to TX with me, unless of course they tell me to bring them.

I was talking about it with my husband the other day and he reminded me that what I keep thinking about--about the hip not being better with hardware removal--is the same worry with any surgery. Also, you raise a valid point, I know I'll be happy to have the hardware out so in that sense it wouldn't be a "useless" surgery. Meh, ::whine:: I want to be one of the doc's patients that has no hardware issues!

Gah, surgery sucks. I'd much rather travel to TX to hang out with my family there and buy the doc and company a few rounds at the bar than needing to go back to see them to get chopped on again. I like them and all, they're awesome, but I'm just sayin!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:05:22 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline rawbeetsalad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #327 on: July 24, 2010, 01:29:53 AM »
Hi girls, I have a twisted leg, too.  I also have hip impingement and labral tears.  I was referred by Cleveland Clinic to Dr. Paley in West Palm Beach but his first available is 9/24.  I'm hoping to get in somewhere sooner and don't mind traveling.  I need someone who does joint preservation for my hip and also can do the CT imaging my deformity requires.  Cleveland Clinic in Miami said they didn't know how to do it and my whole leg looks wonky.  Crankerchick I would have PM'd you but I can't figure out how to do it.  I prefer south or east US.  I'm in FL. 

Thanks so much!

Sarah

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #328 on: July 24, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »
Sarah, thanks so much for posting. I love your nickname (even though I hate beets). For some reason it is just making me laugh!

Its good that the cleveland clinic was able to spot something "wonky" going on and refer you elsewhere before attempting to chop on you.

I will email you some doctors to consider, one of which is in the south (TX) and is awesome, as if I dont toot his horn on here enough already. But what can I say, having the right doc makes a huge difference.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline rawbeetsalad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #329 on: July 25, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I actually don't like beets much either.  I worked with a lady that always ordered too many of them for the grocery store so if we wanted free food it was usually beets.  Bleh...

I've combed through the site and found some names.  I see that it takes forever to get into Dr. T which is the same situation I have with Dr. Paley here so I emailed your doc in TX to see if he does hips.  There are plenty (as in 20 or so) of docs in the US that treat the hip issue I have but none of them really do rotational stuff.  My knee pain hasn't ever been bad enough to consider surgery but when I took up roller skating, my whole right leg fell apart.  It was like skating on a broken shopping cart since it's not straight.  Thanks to this site I didn't listen to the doc that said my leg was crooked from weak muscles.  No way with all the time I spend in the gym!  Turns out there is something wonky with my bones making it crooked. 

I feel like a misfit.  I'm on the hip boards and non of them have rotational issues and since Cleveland Clinic said that if I solve the rotational problem I'll solve the cause of the hip and knee pain I'm trying to find a doc.  I've been in bed for three months waiting for the health care bill to take effect and just got the high risk insurance so I can get this fixed.  Even with my family paying for opinions, it's like impossible to find anyone who knows anything.  Gained 20 pounds and lost my house...  it's been tough.  I just want to walk again.  Playing roller derby would be gravy.

I'm crossing my fingers that Dr. Sanders treats hip impingement as well as crooked legs.  Sigh...  You would think a doctor's office would know these thing and  patient wouldn't have to spend hundreds of hours researching just to find a doctor.