Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 144354 times)

Offline Becs3740

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
Yay well done Latise  :)

Its really good when you get to this stage. You start doing things that you couldn't do a few months a ago without realising. About a month or so before this last surgery that i had a few weeks ago i was sitting in a chair with the operated leg crossed over the other. Then i was like hang on i am sitting with my legs crossed and its really comfortable. For months i couldn't do that and i thought it would take ages to come back.

I think you are doing so well. You had three osteotomys done at the same time. I only had one and that was bad enough.

Take care
Becks

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #301 on: June 02, 2010, 04:23:16 PM »
Latise....I really am so excited for you!!!!!!

I can't wait to hit those milestones after this next one!!!  Ahh....to be able to touch your heel to your butt, kneel on your knees, sit indian style, etc.  One of these days!!  I may have to go up and hang with you so I can meet these wonderful trainers of yours!!! Seriously, I read that yesterday and I had a grin from ear to ear, its so amazing to hear stories like that, no matter how big or small!! 

Shoot I'm excited that I'm actually getting some flexibility back after 10 months, even though I know I'm gonna lose it in 4 weeks!  It's the little things! 

Amanda

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #302 on: June 10, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »
Thanks Becks and Amanda for being excited for me LOL. I'm kind of at a point where I don't get excited about milestones anymore. Instead I just feel more like, "It's about time!"

I can last a little bit longer on my heels when sitting on my knees and now I can get my heel to my rear end on my own. It takes one or 2 warm-up stretches, but that is better then a few weeks ago when my trainer couldn't even force it there. Made a 20-minute mile today too finally. It wasn't the most pleasant experience, but I made it. I even limp-jogged the last minute of it at 3.5 mph.

I have walked well over a mile multiple times, but it's the 3.0 mph pace that made the 20-minute mile a goal for me. Walking that fast seems to cause pain long before fatigue sets in.

So I'm still making progress and at a faster pace than I did all those months in PT. It seems like something noticeable changes every week. I'm progressing in the plan the trainer down in Houston gave me and things are really seeming on track now.

Now to just get this right leg to stop protesting. I've been trying not to acknowledge it, sort of like if you ignore a misbehaving child craving attention then they will finally sit down and shut up. Well, no such luck, the thing just keeps protesting louder.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #303 on: June 12, 2010, 09:57:50 PM »
sounds like you have made some awesome progress since last time i checked in

Congrats and good luck

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »
Thanks Suzanne. I was dismayed to read your latest update on Kate. Hopefully it is nothing. In fact, I'm sure it's nothing.

It's been a couple of weeks, still just going along with my workout program and getting the massages and stretching a lot. My heel goes to my rear end much easier now. My personal trainer can pretty much just bend it there no problem on the first try. No more yelling Kelly Clarkson either. I'm able to get there on my own too, with the help of a strap. I can now get my heel to touch my leg in the cannonball position. It takes some force, but it's not painful or anything.

Dare I say the area on the inside of my leg where the 2 screws seem to be annoying is also improving ever so slightly. Here's to hoping I can avoid hardware removal.

My right leg seems to be cooperating better too, but I kind of eased up on the treadmill some too, hoping that would help get the pain under control. It's a sucky balance. My surgery leg needs the workout, but my other leg can't handle it.

The hip remains my limiting factor. I just keep working on it, increasing the difficulty of the exercises or adding in others. I'm working on getting into the figure 4 position to stretch the external rotators. That and the hip flexor seem to the be problem areas.

We've added an assortment of plyometric exercises, one of which we just added is jumping off and landing on the same foot. I have one word: abysmal. Seriously, I suck at it. It just exposes the hip and quad weakness. I can barely get off the ground and the landing, well twice my leg wanted to give out and once it wanted to hyperextend. I had to hold the wall. Mentally, it was a tough exercise to do , as it was quite hard to get my mind to allow me jump when everything in my head was yelling "OUCH" and "FALL!!!" So I'm looking forward to tomorrow to do that exercise again. I need to conquer it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:58:04 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »
Yay! I'm glad to hear you're doing better! I know exactly how you feel about the hip, and the hip exercises. I had a very similar problem. My right hip was never too bad, but the left was horrible. I couldn't even do the hop on one leg exercise at all for at least 6 months... then I could get it a little bit, but it hurt soooo bad and was so weak, I think metally I fought it too. Since the plate has been out, i've gotten a little stronger, but I never actually did therapy for the hip. I think you're right that is important. I feel like if I did that then things might get better. Even since the plate removal I still have pain in the left hip. I'm going back to MI to see the OS on July 13th. Hopefully he'll just say I need to do therapy or something of the sort. I'm afraid there may be some soft tissue or tendon damage from the plate..... hopefully that's not the cause!

Keep getting better!!!  ;D

Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2010, 06:09:21 PM »
Lyndsey, thanks for sharing your hip story. I feel like my hip sucks so much and it's helpful to read that this hip issue isn't unique to me.

I forgot to say that I finally went mountain biking (if I can call it that just yet)! It has been ridiculously hot here the last few weeks, but I was able to get out and ride some trails around my house since I last updated. The trail I chose to start with isn't very technical but there are a lot of tree roots to maneuver along with a few rocky areas and streams to cross. The trails are narrow (single track) in a few places and wind quite a bit, so it's still a fun time even though not grossly technical.

I didn't do awfully but it wasn't great either. I was riding very tentatively, which sucks, but doesn't surprise me either. I did have a near miss going up a hill where I hit a sequence of roots just wrong and with not enough speed, causing me to come to a complete halt on the last one and end up having to put my foot downm while on the hill, to keep my balance. I stumbled around on my leg leg but didn't fall thankfully. I wasn't in the right gear to climb the hill and I didn't have enough speed because I was riding so dang slow and tentative throughout the whole ride.

I just need to keep riding and get my confidence. Of course, it's mountain biking. A fall is going to happen sooner or later, just hope it's later rather than sooner. Falling on the plates doesn't shout fun times to me.

I've also been riding with my friends on some longer, mostly paved trails. My riding friends have been pretty busy, but it was nice to ride with them versus riding alone. Feels like old times, but better, because no knee pain afterward (at least not in the left knee) and no patella popping out!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:14:08 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2010, 09:03:16 PM »
Latise,

That's AWESOME you were able to go mountain biking! That's really exciting! Even if you were riding slow and not as hard trails, STILL, that's great! I rode my sisters bike up the hill on the road to our mailbox and I was out of breath and my legs were killing me! I can't even imagine riding on trails! My brother and I try every once in a while to ride what we call "the loop" around our house. We live on 10 acres in the country, so around our property and the neighbors is about a mile loop. I'm dead when we come back, and it's only a mile! Although the hill is crazy steep...

Anyways, just wanted to tell you to keep your chin up! I know it's hard, but really you are doing great! Unfortunately, I think those of us who are "lucky" (haha) enough to be twisted, all have to deal with some hip issues at some point. It seems that some of us have to deal with a little more. I think the hip has been the hardest part of this whole twisted ordeal. My knee is great now, and is okay as far as strength goes. It just seems like my hip doesn't want to cooperate with the rest of the leg and get better already! LOL.

I'm headed to Deep Creek Lake in Maryland with my grandparents for the night and the day tomorrow. They have friends that let them park their motorhome on the lake, and we have a dock and a boat. I'm not quite sure i'm up to water skiing like I used too, but i'll settle for some tubing! I think for a leg workout we'll take out the paddle boat and see how far we can go! I'll just be glad to get away from work and the daily grind of life and relax!

Great job with the biking! Keep us updated!
Lyndsey

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:12 PM »
Hi

Luckily it was only a bruise the doctor said she should where volleyball knee pad during basketball so it doesnt happen again the good news is no damage to the surgery

If she decides to play ball in college I think we will probably take the remaining screw out,  Her scar is so nasty i can then have a plastic surgeon fix it. She landed directly on that area and it caused it to SWELL but xray and evaluation was all good thanks goodness and if the knee can take that fall we should be great guess that is the silver lining

Kate has issues with her hips being extremly tight she gets ART therapy on her hips once a month to help them  will have to re read your posts on your hips to see your actual issue but you can google
ART therapy i think you google ActiveReleaseTherapy but kate loves it makes her feel awesome. I ran a half marathon this year and he worked on me after the race and now i know why she likes it so much

You sound great and are doing really tough things that is so good. Congrats on how far you have come, Just think in a few months  you will be celebrating your ONE YEAR

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #309 on: July 14, 2010, 02:11:31 AM »
hey everybody, Latise, I hope things are going well for you! I figured i'd kidnap your thread some.... i'm going to put it on mine too, but I know I can get some of your wonderful advice if I put it here too! I sure could use it about now..... LOL.

So, I went and saw Dr. T today. He had some good insight into why my left hip is bothering me so much. God Bless that man, he sure is good. Anyways, he took some x-rays of the hip, and after feeling it pop when I walk, he said it could be a couple of things. Most likely he thinks it's probably the IT band snapping over some bone calcification in my hip...  :-\ So, he said i've given it plenty of time, and so far it's only gotten worse. So October 28th he's going to open me back up and take a look inside.... lol.... he thinks he may have to grind the bone down and smooth it out some. Also he's going to look at the tendons and make sure it isn't because they are too tight. So, ugh, another surgery to look forward too.... hopefully I really really hope this will be the last one.

He said the surgery will be like the plate removal, except probably a little more painful and a little longer recovery because he's going to be digging around and messing with alot of muscle and tendons. SO, now i'm at another dilemma, what to do about school.... I'm graduating from SVC in the december with a political science degree. I only need 3 more classes this semester to graduate. BUT, I was thinking about going to grad school, and for the program I want to get into there are 3 prereq. classes, and I haven't taken any of them. So my original plan was to suck it up and make it a 6 class semester. The classes are 5 in a row on Mon, Wed, Fri, and one 4 hr class on Sat. Now with this surgery, i'm not sure i'm going to be able to handle that class load..... ANY ADVICE from any of you guys??? I was thinking if I have to, i'll just take the 3 classes I need to graduate, and then take the other 3 classes in the fall if that's what I decide to do....

What do you think???? I'm really stuck here.....

THANKS!!!!
Lyndsey

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #310 on: July 14, 2010, 02:57:03 AM »
Hey Lindsey!
I just saw your post over in Amberle's thread on this topic. I'm glad Dr. T thinks he knows what might be the problem, but sucks that it involves more surgery to address it. Boy, the disruption to the hip from this surgery just really sucks. That area has been on fire for me the last few days, just hoping it resides some after tomorrow, which is my rest day from working out.

Is it possible to do your surgery in December when the semester is over? Oct 28th is pretty close to the end. I know pain sucks and all, but would another month and some change be that awful? Then you could load up and do the 6 classes and be done. I think that is what I would do if it were an option.

Otherwise, I would just do the 3 classes or even consider doing less than that and saving the remaining for the spring along with the 3 prereqs for grad school.

This is not really on topic but this sort of reminds me of my junior year of undergrad when my friend and I thought we would be tough and take 4 engineering classes back to back on Tu/Th so we could have light days MonWed and Fridays off. I had an honors seminar on monday evenings, a discussion section for one of the engineering courses on wednesdays (which we skipped often) and then Fridays off. Let me tell you. That was the best and worse semester ever LOL. I did very well that semester (straight a's go me, hey i can brag now it was like 8 years ago) but it was probably one of the craziest stupid academic decisions we ever made because it was just torture. 8 hours of straight hours of electronics. It drove us to drink. A lot. We needed our light days to recover. But *shh* don't tell anyone.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:05:57 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #311 on: July 14, 2010, 03:12:08 AM »
Latise,

I totally agree! I had no idea what my hip was in for.... but the improvement to the knee has been unbelievable! I guess we win some and loose some... sorry to hear your hip's been bothering you too..... hopefully a day of rest will give you some relief.

I thought about doing it that way, but the problem there is then I won't be on my parent's insurance anymore because I won't be a full time student. And insurance at this point is a MUST. LOL. So, I don't know what i'm going to do.... the need to hurry up is partly because of the pain, but mostly because of the insurance issue. So, that's where my dilemma really comes in. What you did in your junior year is sort of what I was going to attempt to do this semester with the 6 classes.... but there is NO way i'll be able to do that and get decent grades while in pain and or recovering from surgery.....

Thanks for the advice! I really am glad you're here to bounce ideas and frustrations off of.

Lyndsey

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #312 on: July 14, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
Yeah it does seem like we traded one thing for another. I've got pissed off hip muscles and a shin that feels like bob the builder took his vice clamp and locked it around my tibia. Still better than knee instability and pain, but wearing on a person's patience and willpower nonetheless.

Ah so insurance worries come into play. That certainly changes everything. Given the situation, I think I would take the minimum credits to remain full-time and insured and then just go with it. Getting the surgery while insured is of course the priority, so the next priority is just to minimize the work load as much as possible.

It sounds kind of crude/brutal but the reality is surgery hurts and these darn knee problems hurt and it's just kind of like, "that's the way it is" and we just tough it out. Do what you gotta do, as they say.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #313 on: July 14, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
Yep, you're right. Sometimes it takes a dose of reality. And the reality of our situation is pain is inevitable,  and it's all about how we deal with it. I try not to be too much of a wimp, although when i'm on here is when i'm definitely at my worst and wimpiest..... if that makes any sense. LOL.

The insurance is my main worry, I know surgery is going to be painful, and I know it'll take me a good 2 weeks after to feel half decent in a school desk with my hip all bent. That's the reality, and I guess i'll just have to deal with it as it happens. I just figure if I can minimize the amount of time in the desk that may be better for me in the long run. I've also figured out that drugs and classes don't mix well together.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #314 on: July 14, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »
Lyndsey, it sounds like you've got your answer! Since delaying either school or surgery isn't an option, then just balancing the surgery with the lightest course load is the only real option. Do you have any insight into the difficulty levels of the courses? Maybe you could mix and match the pre-reqs and the courses you need to graduate based on which ones will involve more work/time/focus so that you take some combination of the 6 courses in both the fall and the spring.

You are definitely right, just deal with it as it happens. Do what seems best for you and then just make it work!
Mar '07 - plica excision