Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 138739 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #270 on: May 07, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »
Well it seems mysteriously leg pain will remain a mystery in origin. No idea what I did to it. The pain isn't/wasn't in my knee, but more like on the outside of my shin, where the plate is. It was a sharp and piercing grinding pain. But the intolerable pain has definitely passed. Now it is just more of annoyance.

It was definitely frustrating and even a bit scary (yes i admit it) to go from walking to falling in a single step and then not being able to take another step for almost 2 days and even worse, not knowing why. Just glad to have my doctor and AHT so easily available to get guidance on how to proceed. I mean, I don't just email/call my doc about every little or even moderate pain, but this pain was just crazy ridiculous and didn't seem to be easing up in the slightest.

I did work out yesterday woot! I was able to go through everything at my normal weight and number of reps. I had mystery pain on the leg press and squats, but it was tolerable. I worked with my new trainer, henceforth known as MDT (Maryland Trainer). He said my form was fine, except for raising my hips on the leg press. He stretched me afterward, almost as good as AHT. I was definitely yelling NSync Kelly Clarkson and Backstreet Boys, so he was doing it right. Today is a plyometrics day so I get to jump around on my leg and go up and down 20 flights of stairs.

Becks: The diary definitely helps for looking back on, for exactly the reasons you state. Can't wait to follow your success story!

Lottie: I just want to get on with my life so I just have to put all my effort into getting my leg strong and flexible again. I'm mad I wasn't one of my docs patients that was fine in 3 months! Just gotta do what needs to be done so I can be another of his success stories. It feels good to finally have something to work FOR versus just having my knee be something working AGAINST me.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #271 on: May 11, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »
Well I wasn't going to update this thing for a while but...
Yesterday I finally took some time yesterday to fix my bike after my little wipe out last fall and go for a ride. I just rode around the neighborhood to warm up and then tried some maneuvers in the back yard. I lowered my seat a bit so my feet could solidly touch the ground. That also made more of a bend in my knee, which I felt on every revolution.

I tried some jumps. At first I couldn't even get my back tire off the ground, but I kept trying and eventually got it off. Not nearly high enough to get over any obstacles on a trail though. ::mad::

I also had a bit of a time trying to stand up and pedal, which is no bueno for going up hills. At first I couldn't even get one revolution cause the surgery leg just wouldn't push hard enough. Kept trying, finally got it around but it was very wobbly and I had to lean the bike pretty far to cheat. Kept going and it got better, but still not great.

Mystery leg pain reared its head on the jumps and the standing pedal but it wasn't bad. My thigh did not like the jumping at all, neither the lift off nor the landing. Meh. All the pressure on the shin just feels uncomfortable. Those stupid screws on the inside of my leg bothered me whenever my leg was bent. But like my sig says, screw that stuff. It is what it is!

It was sweet to be back on my bike! The only thing that would have made it better would have been to hit a trail, but ::sigh:: in time. There's an easy beginner trail near my house that I will try soon. It isn't very technical so it will be a good place to start. Best to go alone the first time. Whenever I go with my friends my competitive spirit comes out.

Tomorrow I'll be bumping the weight and dropping the repetitions for my strength training.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:41:46 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #272 on: May 12, 2010, 06:55:16 PM »
Wow!!!  So this is my first time to post on here,and I just have one thing to say crankerchick...you are amazing!!  I lucked upon this site, after leaving Dr. Sanders office last week with my diagnosis!  And you are right, he is amazing!  I had never even considered being a "twisted sister" as he has referred to me as.  It has taken me two days, but once I started to read this thread I couldn't stop!!  I have read yours and the one started by clippedwings.  I, like. clippedwings have had a failed lateral release done.  And now I have no muscle in my left leg, a dislocating patella, and apparently a twisted tibia.  And i have become quite the wimp.  I raced motocross my whole life, and since this last surgery in December I have been bummed.  Then I found Dr. Sanders, and I can see a little light at the end of the tunnel, I think....or maybe its a train!!!  Anywoo, he has given 6 weeks to build up my muscles through therapy...and let me tell you the therapists in Fort Smith. Arkansas are CLUELESS!!!!!!  I am trying to find the courage to push through!   Sorry for rambling.........Just wanted to thank you for being such an inspiration!!!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #273 on: May 12, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
Wow, you read this whole thread??? Big ups to you! But tell me, how many times did you fall asleep while reading?!

You definitely didn't ramble. I ramble. You post. I ramble.

So it's never fun to say, but welcome to the club of twisted sisters. I'm glad you were able to find a doctor with a clue of what to look for and how to treat these problems. If you have seen Dr. Sanders, then it's a good bet what you are seeing is a light, not a train! He's awesome, and there are a lot of other people that will tell you the same. He will do all he can to get you back on your bike.

I want to thank you for reading my thread and posting. Part of the reason I keep going with this thing is to help the next person that might stumble on it. So thanks for letting me know that it has been a help to you.

Feel free to ask me questions or anything. Post away here like others have. This site is a big support group so to speak and considering I've gotten so much help here, I'm totally willing to pay it forward.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline WorkinWings

• Forum Faithful
  • Fixed my failed lateral release: back to flying!
    • Failed lateral release: medial subluxation of the patella
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2010, 10:48:19 PM »
Wow! it's been sooooo long since I've been here, that I had a hard time remembering my password  :-X

But, I had to come offer my public mea culpa...Apologies to both of you! I have not been able to keep up with my email in the last few weeks, but I was very honored by your words on my thread, cranker, and touched by your email, acheek71. Thank you both. 

acheek, I did call my physical therapist so that he could pass along  my exercise plan to Dr Sanders. I hope that has reached you by now, and that it might help you.
I am glad you are moving towards that light at the end of the tunnel. That ain't no train, it's your life calling you back  ;D
I wish you the best. Please keep in touch, and let me know how you do?

cranker, here's a BIG thank you for what you've done for Doc!! He deserves it!  You haven't mentioned your special project here, so I am OUTTING you, now!! Check this out, people:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=344833852780&ref=ts

It's a beautiful thing!
Feb'00: Twisting injury (w/"pop")
dx - bone bruise of lateral tibial plateau
Apr'00 to May'07: intermittent pain; NO instability
7/May/07: Lateral Release (which created instability)
17/Jan/08: dx - iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation s/p LR
16/Jan/09: Back to function!
[email protected]

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #275 on: May 13, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
LOL ClippedWings you haven't been back to KG because you have reached the status of WorkingWings and you are now enjoying your life after knee problems! That's a great thing!

Thanks for 'outing' me. I just hadn't decided "how" exactly to share that page on this site, but you've now done it for me LOL. He totally deserves it. His clinic deserves it. I got a lot of stuff I could say here to toot his horn (and embarrass myself) so I'll shut up. Blah blah sappy sappy and all that. ::embarrassed::

Acheek, please do keep us all updated either via email or on here. You will find the courage to push through! And if you can't, don't worry because the doc will make you find it! You will ride the stationary bike everyday for the rest of HIS life and you will like it. And if you have a day where you feel like giving in, you can email me and vent. There's a lot of times when I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Somedays it feels like it has been so long and my leg is going to feel like this forever. Other days I'm top of the world and as optimistic as it gets. This is just as much an emotional and mental journey as it is physical. But you just keep going, it's all you can do. I feel like I live to work, exercise, and eat lean meat and veggies right now. Somedays I wake up (at 6am) and just want to bury my head in the pillow and holler at the top of my lungs! Then I think about the life I want to have and what others have done and are still doing to help me get to it, and it all starts to make sense again.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:19:40 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »
ClippedWings, I can't thank you enough!!!  My PT is trying...he just doesn't understand whats going on.  That's why I do most of it at home!  He hasn't even completed my therapy workout booklet yet.  He did say once he gets it done he's sending it to Dr. Sanders for approval. 

Crankerchick, eating healthy...whats that!?!  I am trying to kick start therapy on my own, but man is it hard.  I haven't been able to do ANYTHING in 10 months and its hard to get out of that slump!  But I'm working on it!  And You have done a wonderful job on the tribute!!

I truly appreciate everything you guys have done for me, and I have only been on here less than a week!!!  You are such an encouragement to us all!!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2010, 09:37:28 PM »
Thanks for the kind words about the facebook page. The page is a bit of a sap fest. It took me a long time to be comfortable with the wording on it 'cause it's so sappy. Then I just decided, whatever, it's how I feel so oh well, people will like it or not.

I love the response I've gotten in some of the forums I've shared the link in though. Let's just say it's good that I have thick skin and don't really give 2 sh1ts. I rather enjoy sticking it to the haters. I've received some very pleasant ::sarcasm:: responses and personal messages regarding that page. I do enjoy playing devil's advocate though, so that helps. It's amazing the time and energy people put into telling you they don't like something. I find it comical.

One thing you learn from our doctor is that your body can do a lot more than you think. The exercises I was doing right after surgery, one literally felt like the front of my shin was going to separate from the rest of my leg. And that was on the first set of 15, so imagine what the next 2 sets felt like. I did it for like a week then I finally emailed the doctor because I was just like, dude this sucks!! Of course the answer was basically "It's fine, the hardware isn't going anywhere, now do it!"

Hopefully your PT will get your workout booklet finished ASAP and approved so you can have that mental boost to get you rolling. Just grit your teeth and push through, one SLR and hour on the bike at a time.

Once you get things going, I think it will get a little easier.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:53:27 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
Crankerchick,
Glad to hear your awful pain is better, but not glad to hear it's still causing you some pain. I read that you had fallen and thought "Oh no!" because as all of us kneegeeks know, that's an awful thing and we all fear it! Thats AWESOME  ;D you were on your bike! It's very exciting! Hopefully given time you'll be hitting the trail better than ever! You are definitely an inspiration!

I started my summer job this week and worked 48 hours! It was a pretty exhausting week. My left hip still isn't right, and I think the work week didn't agree with it. I spent all day sitting in a chair in my office on the computer for most of the days. I get up some, but not like walking around campus. Then, on Friday and Saturday I ran a horsemanship skills program at a horse camp. That was really a great time, but it was pretty much two solid days standing on my feet and walking around. I went from one extreme to the other. I hope it's just because the plates only came out in December, and i'm just not at full strength yet. But, I feel like December was forever ago and I should be perfect now!

As of right now, i'm sitting here with heat on my hip because that makes it feel a little better than ice sometimes. I have to go outside and clean the barn and do some chores, but I don't want to move. Being in bed on my comfy mattress feels so good! I think now is the least amount of pain i've felt all week, but heaven only knows I can't just sit here all day. I have to be at work at 8:30 tomorrow morning!

Hope everyone's well, Crankerchick, thanks for keeping up with your thread. I feel bad coming to whine on here, but you always check it and offer such great words of advice or just a little bit of inspiration, and I really appreciate it! You are an asset to the board!

Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
Hey Lyndsey! It's funny you feel like December was forever ago and you should perfect now. I feel like my surgery (in Oct) was forever ago and I should be bowling and mountain biking to my heart's desire now. The slogan for my doctor's office is "The Fastest Way Back" and I feel like I'm disgracing that, LOL! But such is life, I'm doing what needs to be done so I just have to put in the time to get to where I want to be.

Your summer job sounds like my every day job. And it's not good on the body at all. I've been doing the following: propping the leg up under the desk, getting up every 45 minutes and walking around and stretching for 15 minutes, and taking a walk around the office park at least twice daily and stretching afterward. I've also been taking my cryocuff sometimes.

Last weekend I went to a festival. Ended up walking about 2.5 miles, which isn't a lot really, but the most I walked at one time since my surgery. My hip was killing me by the end, but the knee held up fine. Yesterday I saw the Blue Angels at an air show and it was another day of walking quite a bit. I was also able to finally have a good cardio workout on the treadmill the other day. All of these things are activities that last year were basically impossible for me. Every step hurts, but at least I can step now, and with confidence. Prior to my surgery, every step was a braced, peg-leg cautious one, and every non-peg leg step was an unstable one. I even had some hustle when running in from the rain the other day.

You know the drill, be thankful for what is better so that what sucks at the moment doesn't seem so bad! I hope your pain eases up soon for you, cause duh, pain sucks. Maybe your body and your leg just need to adjust to your new and different schedule. I feel like I spend the weekend reversing all the damage that the work week does to my hip.

BTW, you guys are going to have my head inflated to the size of TX with all your compliments.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2010, 08:07:48 PM »
Lol! None you don't deserve!

Sounds like you have a heck of a week! That's a good idea to make sure you get up and stretch. I will definitely try that, because I know I didn't enough this week. With it my first week back (I worked there last summer) I had a ton of stuff to do and got engrossed in the computer for hours on end.

Sounds like you did alot last weekend, but i'm glad the knee held up well! It sounds like you are in the same boat as me... my knees are now stable, and I can actually sort of run (it's not pretty) but if I do then my hip starts killing me. You're right though, I should definitely be glad my knees are stable now, and the pain in them is gone. I feel selfish when I get so mad because my hip really is causing me difficulty, but I just get so frustrated. Then I try to remind myself how bad it was before.

I'm hoping they will adjust! That's my game plan is just pray and hope things get better and adjust, because there is only so much Motrin I can take in a day, and even then I hurt sometimes! I know how you feel about using the weekends to recouperate, but unfortunately my job doesn't even allow me to do that sometimes. Like today I had to work everyday but today (Sunday) and even today I have so much stuff to do, and I had to help my sister ride her horse. Then at 5 I have to give a little girl a riding lesson for an hour.... and that will be another hour walking around a sand arena... i'm going to die!

Lyndsey

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2010, 09:29:38 PM »
Ah, yeah my job gets crazy at times, but lately things have been under control. Plus I communicated to my supervisor to keep me off the crazy contracts because I'm spending a lot of time exercising every day and that has to be my priority.

I can't run. I get the urge on the treadmill, so I try, and yeah, it's bad. In Houston, I tried twice and pretty much almost hit the ground. My trainer looked at me first with surprise like "Damn I can't believe you tried that" and then with the evil eye to say "Don't do that again!" It will come, just have to keep trying.

I know how you feel with the frustration and anger. Like I said before, I just think about the goal and I think about everyone that is helping me and cheering for me to get to the goal. Working out also helps with this. It's a good stress reliever. Not only do I know I'm helping myself get stronger by working out, but I feel my anger and frustration in my workouts and just let it out and use it as a motivator. Plus good workouts tire you out and you are just too exhausted to be angry afterward. When I injured my back 5 years ago and could barely tie my shoes, I learned then the mental benefits of a good workout for me.

Do you have any time to work out? You'd be surprised how relieving it is to be angry and hit a punching bag for a bit until you've got nothing left.

Hope your lesson doesn't kill you too bad. Dying sucks. Hang in there chica.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:32:25 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2010, 01:51:46 AM »
I'm still alive! Thank heavens! My left hip is still really bothering me, especially since I am now just laying here feeling it. I wish I had more time then I could work out, but between work, horses, and school there is no time left. My riding is my workout, and it's a great stress reliever, BUT, my horse is currently just as sore and lame as I am. He has a disease of his front legs called Navicular, and it's been getting progressively worse. Now it's to the point where he doesn't even put any weight on his heels, he just hops. SO, i've been trying to deal with that, and the meds just don't work anymore. They do a procedure where they cut the nerve that goes to their feet so they can't feel the pain anymore, and that will make him sound and I can ride again. I'm seriously considering it.

SO, that's where I am with that. I can't believe you try to run on the treadmill! I can say I did try once, and that was the last time i've tried something like that! I was in so much pain and pretty much fell off the back!

Thanks for the wisdom and the support!
Lyndsey

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2010, 02:53:03 AM »
Ooo I'm sorry to hear about your horse, that sucks. I don't know much about horses, but I know about surgery and surgery sucks.

Yes it was quite funny both times I tried to run in Houston. It wasn't on the treadmill, just in the office, first when I got there and we were assessing what I could do, and then later when we had been working for like 3 days and I was feeling good. Both times were epic fails. The look on my trainer's face was priceless though, especially the second time. There was a doctor from Mexico City there observing, and I heard him ask the trainer if I could run. Before he could say no, I just broke out in a sprint. Errr, well, yeah...I just broke. It was like day 3 and I was feeling good and ready to try again, so I did. And as quickly as I thought to do it, it was over and victory was not mine.

My trainer just had this astonished look that was a mix of laughter, concern, and caution. He was just like, half laughing, half amazed, and half concerned, "I can't believe you did that!" Then he said very sternly, "Don't do it again!" LOL.

What can I say, I'm an idiot, LOL.

Hope you started to feel better this evening and definitely hope your work day is better for you tomorrow. Remember, take those breaks!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:00:59 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #284 on: May 18, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
Lol! I'll say it definitely sucks!

I can't even imagine trying to sprint when you did! Yikes! I can actually manage a sprint from like my car to a building in the rain. It's nice to finally be able to do that! But beyond that, the after effects bother me too much. I pay for my excercise dearly.... I can just picture your trainers face! Too funny!

Yesterday wasn't too bad of a day, but I found myself waking up thismorning coughing like mad and all stuffed up. Now on top of everything i'm getting sick. Isn't it great how you find yourself getting sick just when you have the most to do? Drives me crazy! I did make sure I got up today and yesterday, and that definitely helped. I'll be sure to put that into my schedule. I also got a different chair, and that has made some of a difference.

I think it's the weather though that's sending me over the edge. The weather is making my bones hurt, and the run down feeling sick I am is wrecking havock on my muscles and psyche. Oh well, I need to stop whining and just keep on living. I'll get over it soon I hope. This weather sure is awful though, it's raining and storming, and COLD for this time in May! I keep praying it will end soon, and yet it just gets rainyer and rainyer.... I don't even think rainyer is a word.... :P but oh well, that describes the situation here pretty well.

Okay, i'll be done rambling now..... Now that i'm back at work I find myself checking KG way more... always an excuse to take a break! :)
Lyndsey