Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009  (Read 138724 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Derotational Osteotomy + TTT - 10/20/2009
« Reply #255 on: April 22, 2010, 10:23:28 PM »
Day 4 with the trainer. We went to the gym. I got there early to get in my time on the bike and then when he arrived we hit the weights. He showed me how he wants me to lift. It's different from how I was taught, but it works the muscles much harder. The last set is KILLER.

He's going to give me a full work out plan and also spread stuff over 2 days, as he thinks I was just doing too much at once.

After he left I decided to blow off some steam. While I'm so glad to be here and getting the help I need, I'm pissed at myself for taking so long to seek help. It's not like I wasn't pushing myself in the gym before, but I felt lost on what to do and how to do it. I pushed through pain sure, but I needed direction and I knew it and I didn't seek it out. My husband said this morning not to be so disappointed in myself, it's not like I've ever had to deal with something like this before. While that is true, it's not really an excuse. There's no excuse. My gut was telling me that my progress was BS, and I didn't listen to it.  Everyone posts on here about physical pain. I could care less about physical pain. The self-inflicted pain of under achieving is the pain that pisses me off to the point of tears.

While we working out my annoyance just hit overload. There was something he wanted me to do but I was just afraid to let go of the wall to do it. I finally let go, but man in the moment I could have put my hand through the wall I was so frustrated with myself about the mental struggle i was going through just to get myself to let go of a damn wall. I didn't use to be this way. I'm the person that slid down a mountain on my ass because I didn't listen to signs that told me to slow down. I'm the one that broke 3 ribs because I decided that going down one flight of stairs on a bike wasn't enough so I need to try 3 flights. I ended up flipping over the handlebars trying to go too fast.

I'm just tired of letting a limb defeat my mental spirit. So I hit those stairs and I hit them hard. I just kept thinking about everything that was pissing me off and I let it all out. Now I can move on. I'm done letting my knee control me and I'm done being disappointed at myself for something that I can't change now.

So today was good on many levels, not just physically, but mentally. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone, or maybe I'll just look back and read it one day and remember the day I had my breakthrough.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:26:14 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »
So I've had one heck of a week. My last day with the trainer was Friday and it was another good one. I got a very detailed workout plan for home which is exactly what I wanted. Then he showed me the plyometrics that are in the work out plan, then it was off to the stairs. This time, all 17 floors worth (that is 22 stairs per floor). Coming up, every other floor I skipped a stair so stepped up 2 at a time. It was awesome! I left with very stern warnings from everyone to keep in touch and call if I need help.

I showed up in Houston walking like a grandma through the airport and left Houston walking with confidence and much better control of my limb. I had great food and great company. It was really a blast. Sucks to come to back to reality and go to work tomorrow, LOL.

Last night I went to a wedding and finally felt comfortable to dance! One week in Houston isn't the cure all end all, but it really did wonders for me physically and mentally.

My husband, who has never even met my doctor, loves to brag about him just as much as I do. Yesterday he was hanging out with his car buddies and some of them were saying how it probably takes 2 years to fully recover from a surgery like this. My husband proudly said, "Not with her doctor, he gets his patients moving!"
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2010, 07:07:02 PM »
Hi hi hi,

Just spent some time with a coffee finally catching up with your diary. I can only say - YOU ARE AWESOME. I got your PM BTW, we've been on hols for a few days so no worry with the delay. You've been kinda busy - I can tell! TX and the trainer and the whole experience sounds like it was worth every bit of blood, sweat and tears. I read your comment about viewing the knee as no longer controlling you - what a true true statement that we all aspire to. Someone said to me that I am me with my knee problems, the knees don't take anything away - I am who am I because of them not in spite of them. So, they are a part of us (much as we'd like them to be STANDARD!!) and yet, we are so much more.

You contribute SO much to this forum that I am completely made up that you're making such good progress now. Dancing 8) ;D. I bopped (kinda left straight legged with a deviation to the right!) to Abba in the bathroom the other evening. I forgot how much I miss dancing - I used to regularly bop and do a dance aerobics class each Tuesday. I'll get back there. (On the subject of me - I'm postponing I think - too many ifs, buts, maybes - even if they only exist in my own head my ifs, buts and maybes have never been wrong in the past....so.....no hurry, no rush, the right choice at the right time.....)

Safe trip home :D

Lottie xx :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #258 on: April 25, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »
Cranker - you're so much farther into your rehab than I am, but I know what you mean about this being just as hard (or harder) mentally as physically.  My leg is doing well, better than I thought I'd actually be doing at this point (less than 3 weeks postop), but my mind wants to do more and more and more. I have to keep rationalizing to myself that I'm still in the healing process ,I still have soft tissue work and a tibia fracture/screw that need to heal and strengthen, so I can't be so tough on myself...

I'm so glad you had a breakthrough this past week.  I know this has been a long, hard road for you, but I bet this past week in TX with a trainer will be like a springboard for you to get your life back :)  I absolutely can't wait till I can get back in a gym setting on my own, and start hiking again.  Mt. Rainier is right out my back door, I can hear it calling me...

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #259 on: April 26, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »
Wow Lottie you are one brave soul to read through this whole diary. You made it through with only one coffee?!?! I'm impressed, i type a lot so it had to be a LONG read!

The trip to TX was totally worth the time, sweat, and $$$. I can't get over how awesome my doctor and the people in his clinic are. And to think it was because of people on this website that I finally got put into contact with the right folks to get me on track and back to my life. I keep posting here now because I just want to pay it forward to the next person struggling.

When I was still being active despite the pain and instability, my knee didn't define me so much as it just beat me down slowly until I gave in and gave up on sports. After that, it slowly began to define me, first with just what I could do physically and eventually taking over my mind and affecting how I approach things in life. But the very first day in TX, my trainer said that my leg doesn't control me, I control it, and I'm taking that to heart.

Andi, the mental battle is just so tough sometimes. I hear you on the taking your time as you are still healing comments, but offer a word of warning too. Listen to your gut. When my gut started telling me that slow and steady wasn't winning the race, I didn't listen, instead I listened to the folks around me who kept saying "it just takes time" and "you are still healing" and look where that got me. Before you know it, valuable time has been wasted. I am now turning off anyone in the peanut gallery that keeps telling me to take it slow! My grandfather keeps saying, "But you are going to keep the cane in reach right?" Haha, suuuuuuure granddad.

Screw that cane. And the crutch. And the limp. And the plates. And the screws. And the pain. Done.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:41:19 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline 007Cupcake

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
Your posts inspire so many of us working through the physical/mental issues associated with our knees, and the pain, and the surgeries, and the heartache etc.....

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your story.
11/19/99 Right TTT/LR
11/19/02 Right knee hardware removal
03/19/10 Left TTT
04/29/10 scheduled right knee scope repair meniscus tear

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
Yeah... screw the leg and the pain and the cane and the the the... whatever LOL!!!  I'm actually doing great strength-wise, but stuck at 70 degrees of flexion and it's really making me mad.  I need to break through that and keep moving forward, so I've spent the weekend working on flexibility till I'm sore and swollen and frustrated.  But I'll keep at it :) 

Glad you're doing well, and yes, so much of this is the mental attitude, isn't it?

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2010, 02:50:15 AM »
007Cupcake: I'm really glad my posts are helpful :-) Being able to journal about my experience is so helpful for me. I keep a journal anyway, when life gets crazy, otherwise I will go absolutely batty. I decided to keep the journal here so maybe it might help someone else. And I can embarrass myself on the intertubes, which is clearly a good thing for everybody.

Andi: Keep working that flexion! And getting mad sometimes is a good thing, because you just feel so mad you push yourself even harder. Now don't hurt yourself of course, but as long as you are following doctor's orders, nothing wrong with working yourself and pushing yourself.

For me, the mental challenge is ten times harder than dealing with pain. I'm still riding the high from last week, but feel myself coming down and back to reality just a bit. I can torment myself with the best of them. The mental aspects of all of this is just much more taxing than the physical pain.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline slmac

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #263 on: May 05, 2010, 12:19:20 AM »
Hey Latise! Just dropping by to say hi and good luck with your continuing recovery. I'm glad to see that your Houston visit was a good deal and that you're renewing your spirits. Remember, visualize success! Keep it up. My do released me today after judging me at about 90%. I'm doing the happy (though slightly gimpy) dance. I'm so glad I had my surgery. I still might decide to have the hardware removed one day, but right now it's not a necessity at all. Keep on keeping on! Sandy
Knee pain and issues during HS...played tennis
7/30/09 dislocations began
9/18/09 TTT (Fulkerson Osteotomy), MPFL Repair, and arthroscopic debridement
12/29/10 hardware removal
8/12 dislocations started
9/11/12 MPFL recon with allograft

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #264 on: May 05, 2010, 03:14:20 AM »
Thanks for dropping in Sandy and congrats again on being released from doctor's care. It's been great to read your success story and I'm glad you are able to get on with life after knee problems.

Since I'm online I might as well update this thing.

5/4/2010
28 weeks post-op

Since I've been back from Houston I've just been following the rehab plan drawn up by my Houston trainer, henceforth known as AHT for Awesome Houston Trainer. It's a 5 day program with a rest day on the 6th day. It's a very simple combination of strength training on days 1 and 4 and plyometrics on days 2 and 5. All days 1-5 also include 1 hour of cardio and then stretching afterwards. I decided on a trainer for home and I have my first session with him on Thursday. I will have to try hard not to compare him to AHT for the entire hour. He is very willing to follow my rehab plan and communicate with AHT, so that's good.

Sunday I went for a massage with someone trained in myofacial release. It was ok, not quite the same as AHT, but still seemed useful. My hip feels decent today, the best it's felt since Houston, so it must be good.

That said, things are no bueno right now unfortunately. Yesterday I started having some really bad pain in my lower leg, like the worst pain everX. Walking is like not even possible, #10 pain every few steps. It's sweet that it's not my knee, but sucky nonetheless. Today was a plyometrics day, no way I could jump around on this leg. I tried some steps ups and made it through 2 sets of 20 in terrible pain, but I had to try. Bike wasn't great, but it was doable.

Taking it easy tomorrow per doctors orders (it's my rest day anyway so that works LOL). Hopefully it is significantly better on Thrusday. I don't want to have miss another day of training.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:19:55 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2010, 03:02:56 PM »
Just a quick update to say that my leg seems to be improving. Yesterday I was able to put all my weight on it with less pain. The at rest pain is pretty much gone. The bloodrushes when going to stand up still suck.

I brought my cryocuff in yesterday to work and spent pretty much all day on it. I was able to do my twice a day walks around the office quad with some pain, but tolerable. Yesterday was my off day from the gym, so I just rested the leg, walked around, and spent a good bit of time stretching. Started with tylenol on Tuesday night for shitz and giggles on recommendation from the doc. Not sure if it is the reason the pain is better or not. Dunno, don't care, just glad the pain isn't #10 when I walk.

I'm hoping to go to the gym today. It's my day with the trainer. AHT already said on Tuesday that I could do a light workout today if everything is going better. Will likely chat with the doc before time and get his take.

Not sure what the heck I did to my leg, just glad it is improving.

I have a 6 month long post-op diary. This is crazy. I feel like a kneegeek veteran. Looking forward to the day I don't post on it any longer. Thinking today might be the day.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:32:36 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Becs3740

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »
Hi crankerchick sorry to hear that you leg has been causing you a lot of pain lately. Hopefully it will improve soon for you.

My surgery is in 2 weeks time. Im scared about it. Not about the actual operation though just because im in more pain now after the last one. I know that this is really minor surgery compared to the last one but im just scared that its not going to get rid of the pain. Im also worried about loosing muscle strength again because it took me so long to get it back before. The plus side of this operation though is that im finally getting rid of the metal work from the derotational osteotomy  ;D

I can't wait for this to all be over. It has now been nearly 11 months since my surgery. When i look at it i think that things would be pretty much back to normal now if it wasn't for my stupid knee. It felt like i was never going to get the strength back in my leg but after about 7 months it just seemed to come back.

Sorry to keep crashing your thread. Will be starting my own i think once i have had this next op.

Carry on with all your hard work you are doing so well.

Take care
Becks

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
Becks, your surgery is May 19th I think? You're going to do great and hopefully it will work for you and your knee pain will be over.

Oh my pain is definitely better since monday and tuesday. I can walk on it! Heading back to the gym this afternoon.

AHT thinks I hurt it on the leg extension, but I really don't think that is the case. If it is, then I look real dumb calling my doctor about a pain that has nothing to do with my surgery and if i was him i'd be annoyed at being bothered about it LOL. But, I really don't think that is what happened. I've felt this pain before, long before i was doing leg extensions, but not to this intensity or duration. Either way, just happy it is easing up.

I hope you do start your own thread, not because you are crashing mine LOL (i don't care), but just so others can see it and choose to follow. I'm not sure who's following mine still, but it will be nice for you to have your own for people to support you!
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline Becs3740

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #268 on: May 06, 2010, 09:08:05 PM »
Yeah im going in on the 19th for surgery on the 20th May.

I don't think your doctor would be annoyed if you have phoned him and the pain isn't caused by the surgery.

I want to start my own thread because when i look back at my last surgery i can not remember much. It would be good to have something to read through when/if it gets to the tough times then i can read about the progress that i have already made.

Take care and i hope the pain carrys on easing for you.
Becks

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #269 on: May 07, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
Hey Latise,

Glad the 10/10 pain has decreased - must have been scary/frustrating . I love the fact you are worried it makes you stop training rather than anything else - awesome attitude. So many people use ANY excuse not to train and it is inspiring to see someone so dedicated. As you know, once the results start showing it is addictive and the whole mental high that comes from a great program is just unbeatable (not even rivaled by a big slice of cake a double skinny capuccino.... ;D 8))

Keep up the hard work, you ARE a KG veteran - and I too look forward to when you don't post in your diary any more - in the nicest possible way of course, as it will mean the knee is WORKING GOOD!!  ;D

Hugs

Lottie x :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....